Tactical Impulse LE-1 & Accessories Full Review (w/ pictures)

ROB21

Newly Enlightened
At last I've found the time to complete this review! As I said in my first impressions thread, this product is targeted to law enforcement. However, this light sits in my nightstand when not in my belt, and it's quite well suited for EDC as well. Without further ado, here is my full review (and first review) of the Tactical Impulse LE-1 flashlight and its accessories. I will add to this if I discover anything new...

Specs from the Manufacturer:

• Lumen Output – HIGH: 595 lm
  • Modes – HIGH(100%), MEDIUM (50%), LOW (20%), STROBE (100%)
  • Runtimes – HIGH: 2.1 hrs., MED: 4.58 hrs., LOW: 12.2 hrs.
  • Construction Material: Aluminum
  • Reflector: Faceted Aluminum
  • Lens: 1/16" Impact Resistant Glass
  • Battery Type: 3100 mAh Rechargeable Li-ion
  • Length: 8.38"
  • Weight w/Battery: 11.6 oz.
  • Bezel Diameter: 2.13"
  • Water Resistance: IPX8 (Submersible)
  • Impact Rating: 2 M

Form & Exterior

Because the light is designed for law enforcement, its size is a bit larger than other popular lights outputting the same if not more lumens. However, Its size allows it to be used as a tool and for it to be tucked up under an arm for note taking. The large head size also allows you to have a mean grip on the flashlight, and keeps the light from being too hot to handle. It has a very solid feel, and I see no deficits in workmanship. The entire light can break apart: The central 'control unit' with the electronics, LED and head switch is the only section that is completely sealed along with the tail-cap. The shaft is also just about 1" in diameter, so it can be mounted in 1" gun mounts.

le1_18.jpg

le1_15.jpg

le1_26.jpg

le1_27.jpg

le1_08.jpg

le1_11.jpg

LED & Optics

The LED looks the XML, but maybe someone can confirm that. The lens is shatter resistant glass at 1/16th of an inch think per the manufacturer, and it has an excellent anti-glare coating. Since the head is big, the reflector has a massive amount of surface area for focusing. However, the reflector has a very pronounced orange peel texture. For law enforcement, the beam pattern is perfect in my opinion. I have made many interior sweeps with this light, and the massive amount of peripheral coverage is phenomenal. The only drawback is obviously, throw. This light is going to light up everything in its path very well within approximately 75-100 yards. That isn't say you can't see it past that, but for all intents and purposes this is not a 'throw' light. Again, for law enforcement, it lights up accident scenes, houses (inside and out), cars, etc. extremely well.

le1_10.jpg

le1_09.jpg

Switch

The switches are very unique (head & tail), and I have yet to feel a switch like it. Maybe one is out there, I just haven't seen one. It is a digital switch that has a tactile break halfway through the switch throw. So, as you are pushing the switch in, you feel a slight click or pop, and then you continue to push the switch in to feel the full-click upon full depression. At the halfway tactile break, you perform you momentary activations and mode changes (more below). It takes the guess work out of how far you need to depress the switch to activate momentary.

UI

The UI is by far one of the things I love the most. It is simple to learn and use, and the logic doesn't rely on timing rules. For example, some lights must be in a mode for 2 seconds to be stored into mode memory. Such is not the case with the LE-1.

So, first things first… Both switches work the same way – True one-handed operation. Half presses activate momentary. Full-click keeps the light on. While the light is ON, half presses change the operating mode from HIGH, MEDIUM, LOW or STROBE. A full-click will turn the light off. By default, the light will turn back on in HIGH mode. If the light is programmed to use mode-memory, the light will turn back on in the last mode it was in. So, if you turned the light off in STROBE mode, you can do a half press to momentarily activate in STROBE. What's cool is you can do that very quickly 5 times in a row and it is going to stay on STROBE (no timing rules).

With the LE-1, a rapid double-click goes to HIGH mode, not STROBE like most lights. I must say that I find this very useful when employing mode-memory. Especially for law enforcement, having a fast way to turn the light on HIGH is more important than accessing STROBE. The mode-memory allows you to do a complete search using momentary activations in LOW mode so you don't blow your adjusted night vision. Then, if you need light, and lots of it, you just need to double click.

Battery & Charging

The battery is your standard IC protected 18650 3100 mAh battery with a flat top. The battery sits in a plastic battery holder that has a spring on the top and bottom. There are spring loaded gold contacts on both ends of the holder in different configurations, but both deliver positive and negative power connections to each end. It appears that the numerous contact points are there for redundancy, as there is really only a need for two. This feature of the battery holder is important when it comes to the Traffic Baton and Size & Life Extension Pack discussed later.

The LE-1 has two charging rings that meet the charging contacts on the Cradle Charger. The LE-1 also has a groove around the neck that allows plastic clasps in the Cradle Charger to hold the flashlight in place while charging, and the flashlight does not have to be lined up to charge. The cradle charger also has a bay to charge a naked 18650 battery. Also, the DC car or AC home charger connect to the base via a twist-lock connection.

le1_14.jpg

le1_13.jpg

le1_12.jpg

le1_17.jpg

le1_16.jpg

le1_02.jpg

le1_01.jpg

Traffic Baton

The traffic baton is an accessory that attaches to the tail-end of the LE-1 in place of the tail-cap switch. The contacts on the battery holder meet the contacts on the underside of the traffic baton to deliver power. The traffic baton has a power switch which makes the baton flash in STROBE or keeps in on constantly. The clear section is made out of some kind of very tough acrylic type material with red striations in the middle. While the traffic baton is being used, you can also use the head switch on the flashlight to use the main light as well.

le1_25.jpg

le1_24.jpg

le1_07.jpg

le1_06.jpg

le1_23.jpg

Size & Life Extension Pack

This is an accessory that adds an additional 18650 battery to the mix. It has a removable end-cap that allows the battery to be secured inside, and the contacts on the underside of the unit meet the contacts on the battery holder. Once it is screwed on, the entire light does have a very solid and well balanced feel to it.

le1_05.jpg

le1_04.jpg

le1_22.jpg

Holster

The holster, although a little bulky, is very cool. Basically, the light is somehow knows when it is holstered. I'm not sure what the 'sensing' mechanism is, but the light wirelessly knows when it is holstered, and the holster does not take batteries. If you holster the light when it is turned on, the light will automatically cut off. Plus, the light cannot turn on in the holster by pushing the switch. For law enforcement, this is a huge plus. It is quite easy to turn your light on when sitting in your car.

The holster also has plastic clips that lock into the groove on the flashlight to keep it in place. The retention is not that strong, in fact, I think it could be a bit stronger. However, it does its job of keeping the light in the holster. It has an adjustment bar that can fit small belts or duty belts up to 2.25" wide. The light holder section rotates around the belt attachment piece 360 degrees.

le1_03.jpg

le1_28.jpg

le1_21.jpg

le1_20.jpg

le1_19.jpg

Up All Night

Enlightened
Cool features indeed. Nice job! :thumbsup:
I like the fact that they quote candela for each level.

PS
Great pics as well!!

rgordon

Newly Enlightened
I agree, great job on the description and pictures! It's always cool to see a new cradle charging light, but I also really like the traffic add-on piece. The holster is pretty wild too - I don't believe I've seen anything like that.

I have a question - I noticed (from their website) that the flashlight comes with a battery, but I saw on your picture of the flashlight box that the battery is not included. Did the battery come packaged separately?

ROB21

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I just failed to include a picture. The battery came in it's own blister pack with a similar retail look as the other packages.

MBentz

Enlightened
Excellent looking light. Thank you for the review.

I don't need another 18650 light... I don't need another 18650 light...

spread5150

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I just purchased this light from the Tactical Impulse website and thought I would do a little write up about it from a user stand point as I could not find a ton of users for it before my purchase.

ME:
I work as a PO in San Antonio. I work 2nd Shift 130-930. Here in Texas that puts my last two hours of my shift in the dark. That being said I often work overtime and stay till 12 or 1AM. Work Load (calls ) normally keep me busy till 7-8 and that leaves me 8-9 (dark) to run traffic and see what I can stir up. I will usually conduct 6-10 traffic stops in this time. Searches of vehicles are common for me and a good light is a must.

My FLASHLIGHT EXPERIENCE
I was looking to replace my Stinger DS LED (NOT THE HL) The Stinger was a good light. It was reliable and in 4 years it never failed me. (The tail switch did stop working around year 3 but the head switch continued to work. Someone offered me 50 bucks for it and I figured with all of its years it was time to get something else.

MY RESEARCH
As pleased as I was with the Stinger I decided naturally that I would get another. The HL was the natural choice. I looked into videos on Youtube about it and came across the Surefire LAWMAN, The TAC IMPULSE LE-1 and the HL. I was shocked by the LAWMAN price but my girlfriend though her work could get one for 180. I was really leaning this way since it seems to sell around the 400 price. I could get an HL also for a bit less.
I did not however like that there was no holster options for the SureFIRE that didnt cost 60 bucks. Total with holster for me $240.00 I also am not a fan of items that attach to my belt with clips. (only holsters I could find) My belt needs committed attachments that go through my leather gear. Clips break. I found several reviews about the Surefire having issues with the lens cracking/breaking and the open charge port made me look at it like :thumbsdow. But I will say I have no past experience with Surefire and I do understand they make some good stuff. For all I know they have no more issues with the cracking as the reviews I was reading were pretty old. I plan to own one in the future but maybe just not this light (LAWMAN). A friend of mine got the HL Stinger and I really didn't notice a monster difference with that and what I had. The LE-1 company is in TEXAS so I decided to call and see if I could get a hold of anyone. I spoke with a voice on the phone and expressed my questions and concerns. I wanted to know if you got a battery with the light (it does come with one) as it was a little hard to make this determination with the website. All the other features seemed to be up my ally. Holster,light,cradle,spare battery,car charger home charger total was still less that I could get the LAWMAN and a holster for. (I did not want nor do I fill the need for an extender or a traffic wand)Tac Impulse does make these items. I did notice the LAWMAN only had that monster output at the beginning of its battery life for a limited amount of time. After that it dialed down. I like the idea of regulated power till I say so (thats just me). 595 Lumens still seemed like a bigger number that what I had seen so far so I ordered one.

DAY/NIGHT 1
Got the Flashlight. Pretty much was just like the reviews found on this site. But when it came time to holster there was no tiny allen wrench with it for the belt adjustment. Locker Room Gun Nut showed up and saved the day. Charging took about 2 hours for the light. Backup battery took about 3.5 in the car. 8 rolled around and I started my normal routine. BOOM ! Definite difference in what I had and this. Came across several undesirables in a Nissan occupied 3 times and all of them were squinting big time. Light has a clear focused area that is ultra bright and focused. Spill is still pretty bright which helps illuminate those other eyes and hands in the car. For a traffic stop flashlight to me its right on. I did play around with it at a call just before this in a residential neighborhood and the throw and spill in an open street and alley is also more than I could ask. Found some kids skateboarding in a ditch that I illuminated easily at 60 yards. Im very pleased with my purchase. The holster recognition is a neat feature and all us PO's know are light turning on when we sit down happens. Not here. I will update this if any issues come up but my first impressions are positive. I have already had several of the guys ask me about it and where I got it.

Hope this helps if you are on the fence about it. (have a tiny allen wrench kit ready to adjust the holster.)

JayZeeDub

Newly Enlightened
I will update this if any issues come up but my first impressions are positive. I have already had several of the guys ask me about it and where I got it.
@spread5150, how did your experience go, whether positive or negative, in the years after you posted this, with your LE-1?