2 X RCR123 (16340) in Nitecore SRT5?

Bucur

Enlightened
A Nitecore SRT5 is on its way towards me. :)

The manufacturer does not support 2 X RCR123 (16340) batteries in this flashlight. As far as I know, many manufacturers discourage this for their flashlights that are designed for 1 X 18650 or 2 X CR123 primary batteries because the total voltage of 2 X RCR123 batteries exceed their design parameters. Nevertheless, it seems many people take the risk for the sake of over-boost performance. I wonder if my SRT5 would be cooked if I power it with 2 X 16340 EagleTac protected batteries, cautiously, rotating the selector ring to max only sparingly and for very short periods of time. I also ordered a RediLast 3400mAH protected 18650 for regularly using in this flashlight but the idea of over-boosting it with 2 X RCR123 is so exciting. :devil:

Would this be too bitter an experience for me or, just a risk that so many people take in so many occasions?

Thank you.

Bucur

Enlightened
Thank you for your reply. I get it that the "Y" in the Battery Options Chart stands for "yes" even if RCR123 is not particularly recommended. This answers my question very clearly. I must admit that I have seen the chart after posting my question.:eek:

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
I also noted that in the SRT7 manual the RCRs are listed as a "y", but do not have the "(recommended)" listed after them as CR123 primaries and 18650 do. I was curious about this. Is Nitecore concerned that the RCRs are a bit too high voltage? I'm guessing the driver wasn't designed around RCRs, and maybe Nitecore is unsure if the RCRs will damage the driver or not? Anybody got any facts to go along with my speculation? I found it curious.