Duplicate CPF

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
These guys have created a duplicate cpf:

flashlight dot talkwhat dot com

Looks like they post the content, get google to send them visitors looking for the content, then sell ads for the eye balls unlucky enough to find it. The domain probably contains other subdomains copying other forums, to the same end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greta

Flashaholic
Huh! That's interesting! It appears talkwhat is the main domain and the "flashlight" part is the sub-domain. Looking at the stats of talkwhat, their global rank is 715,878. Compared to CPF which is 37,529. It doesn't appear they are any kind of competition, per se. And unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about reposting content… :ironic:

I have edited the OP to remove the direct link. Not gonna help these guys out.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came across a similar site quite some time ago and had some discussion with DM51 about it. I wish I still had those PMs but I've since purged those messages. As usual, DM51 had some interesting insights into this sort of thing. The site had a different look and feel but it was similarly populated with posts from CPF. Apparently, this is a form of content farming that uses other site's content to attract visitors who will hopefully click on their advertising links. Interesting that they post a copyright notice considering that all the content belongs to someone else. I see they also post a "contact us" link to a Gmail address. (nuff said)

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
curious... I ran across a site that was not Flickr, but was hosting all of the Flickr photos. All of my photos were there and it said it was a repost of Flickr. Never saw that before, but since Flickr has ads nowadays, I guess the content is worth copying??
To their credit, the photos all had a small copyright symbol on them, which isn't on the original images on Flickr. I believe it said that the copyright is held by the Flickr owners. I suppose that ought to defer legal action.

markr6

Flashaholic
LOL!! Site's UI is worse than some EagleTac lights! What a waste of bandwidth.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashback to 90's forums.
YUK!
all i saw was amazon links.
bet its littered with crap if i turn off adblock.