Advice needed for old lights

gdwtvb

Newly Enlightened
Once upon a time I was a young man with fewer responsibilities and bought some expensive flashlights. I had an EDC Arc aaa that I used for about ten years on my keychain before just recently moving to a maratac AAA stainless that I bought when the attachment hole on my arc aaa finally wore through.

My EDC backup light that I lost and recently found is a Surefire executive elite E1a with an old NON-modded KL1 led head. The light output and runtime of this old surefire light is laughable when compared to cheap lights like the Ray-o-vac indestructible I recently bought. (for fifteen bucks....I spent better than a hundred on the Surefire...yeah it still works great, the anodizing is hardly worn at all...but I could buy a rayovac and toss it when it's dead and it would be cheaper than feeding it batteries to give the same amount of light.)

I also have a Surefire L1 Digital Lumamax with a green 1 watt emitter. This was an amazing light ten or more years ago. DUAL OUTPUT!! AND FUNKY GREEN COLOR!!!
so today my keychain light with a single aaa cell puts out more lumens for a longer amount of time and has three output levels... and cost about a hundred dollars less.

My last light is a Surefire Millennium series M2 Centurion. This one still runs on incandescent bulbs. P60 or P61 emmitter. Remember those?

So these lights all still work great. They all look good, little to no visible wear. I've kinda moved away from R123 cells, Mostly rechargeable AA and AAA nowadays. I am just finishing off my stockpile of cr123 cells...some over ten years old. (Those lithium cells do last a good long time) And here's my question; What do I do with these old lights? Is there a market for old surefires? I'm kinda torn because I know I could easily and cheaply upgrade the M2 but honestly I just bought a Ray-o-Vac indestructible that suits my needs pretty good and it uses the same batteries as every other electronic thing I have laying around.

I am open to suggestions.

Grizz

CMAG

Enlightened
There is a big market for old Surefire, check out CPFMP (market place)

archimedes

Flashaholic
You may be surprised what those "old SureFires" might sell for, if they are in collectible vintage condition :)

By the way, does that L1-GN happen to have BK (black) anodizing, by any chance ... ??? :whistle:

Last edited:

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
You can mod that old KL1 head with a Seoul P4. That's what I did with mine. It makes it a simple indestructable quality light that I use for general around the house use and decent light output. If you can figure out how to open up the head its not too hard to swap the LED. I'm not very skilled with electronics and I was able to do it.

gdwtvb

Newly Enlightened
They sure did go quickly. Thanks for the suggestions. Hope the new owner put them to good use.

Grizz