LED Flashlight

mcrendog

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I admit I'm a total newbie. I saw my brother in-law with a LED flashlight that was very bright and decided I needed to get one. I was wondering if you could recommend a small, bright LED flashlight for use around the house or outside. I'm really not sure what to buy.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome, so how much money did ya want to spend?

We can recommend (and most of us have) lights that will make even a non-flashaholic wife or girlfriend go "whoa!"

But they are gonna cost around $100 -$175 dollars, ya still interested?

GregR

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
mcrendog said:
I saw my brother in-law with a LED flashlight that was very bright and decided I needed to get one. I was wondering if you could recommend a small, bright LED flashlight for use around the house or outside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know what your brother-in-law's flashlight was?

How suitable was that for what you want to use it for?

If it was close to "ideal" - then why not just get that one? - or name it and ask for alternatives.

Currently one of the "best buys" is the Dorcy 1AAA - 1x LED 1x AAA battery - at a mere $5.94 from Wal-Mart -
It is pretty small - an easy carry in the pocket - plenty bright enough for in house and closer tasks - just about OK for outdoors walking - but it is not bright enough to truly throw a beam any distance.

Sizes/colors -
fa838c25.jpg

l to r: ArcAAA, Dorcy 1AAA #2, Dorcy 1AAA #1, Ultra-G

There have been lots of posts about it here - use the search function - here are a couple of links to threads with beamshots -

Dorcy 1AAA vs. ArcAAA vs. Ultra-G

Dorcy 1AAA #2 (vs ArcAAA vs Ultra-G vs Dorcy #1)

Even if it's not "ideal", it is probably worth buying a Dorcy 1AAA as a relatively inexpensive introduction to LED flashlights -
to find out what you might like or dislike about LEDs.......

mcrendog

Newly Enlightened
yeah, I'm interested in the "whoa" light! I don't know what my brother-in-law got, I know it was on Ebay. He's hard to contact but when I talk to him next I'm going to ask him. I remember him saying he paid about $75, it was very small (like on a keychain) and it had a strobe effect.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
mcrendog said:
it was very small (like on a keychain) and it had a strobe effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

The obvious thing to do is to ask your brother-in-law -
but in the meantime it's fun guessing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Being very small would limit its brightness - don't get me wrong LEDs are bright for their size -
and that's the whole point (for now), they can be very compact lights using few and small batteries - but still be usefully bright.

I have to assume the flashlight in question wasn't any of those shown in my photo above - those 3 are probably the most popular pocket flashlights discussed here using a single AAA battery, and in the case of the Ultra-G a single AA battery. They are about the same ballpark brightness, and (for now) about as bright as one can get for a single LED and single AAA or AA battery. Of the 3, the Dorcy 1AAA was the brightest and at $5.94...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

$70 sounds like a more expensive flashlight -
although it would be a great price for an Arc LS - unless it was a factory second -
http://store.yahoo.com/flashlight/arcls.html
ls.jpg

although very bright it is not exactly "very small" at 3.2 inches long by .950 inches in diameter - and I don't think it has a strobe effect.

The Photon 3 has fast medium and slow strobes:
photon3_arrows.gif

P3_functions.gif

but I doubt if anyone would have paid $70 for one.....

mcrendog

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I wondered if anyone would try and guess...I'll definately ask him when I can but that will be a while...it was larger than the Photon 3 and not the same shape as the Arc LS. It seemed very bright to me but I'm a novice. It had the size/shape of a deck of cards.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
though not really a keychain light, it sounds like an eternalight! some palights also have a strobe effect.

eternalights are very nice, really. functional in a lot of ways.

but you will have no problem finding something that is brighter. you will have to decide how bright you want it to be, as well as size/runtime/form factor/beam type/cost/usage.

Sooooo many nice choices. go to quickbeam's site and look at all the LED lights--if you havent already. his reviews are fantastic: pic, measurements, comments, etc. he even gives lux readings, which will give you an idea of brightness.

also check out the led museum--Craig does a tremendous job of testing--there is a LOT of info on his site.
he even goes a step further by torture testing the lights in a rather innovative way!

have fun!

Bob

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
mcrendog said:
It seemed very bright to me but I'm a novice. It had the size/shape of a deck of cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really bright and about the same size and shape as a pack of cards? Sounds like an eternaLight Classic to me.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
mcrendog said:
It had the size/shape of a deck of cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's a big hint -

Say "flashlight" and most people think of cylindical things,
say "very small" and "keyring" - and most will think in terms of the Photon and/or ArcAAA.

So a "deck of cards" is pretty unique, and not particularly small.........

As pedalinbob said in his post above - that sounds more like one of the EternaLights -

Check out
http://www.techass.com/el/el1.php
m202001b.jpg

Ergo1_400.jpg

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
mcrendog said:
Yeah, I wondered if anyone would try and guess...I'll definately ask him when I can but that will be a while...it was larger than the Photon 3 and not the same shape as the Arc LS. It seemed very bright to me but I'm a novice. It had the size/shape of a deck of cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very bright and like a deck of cards? You mean like THIS?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I forgot about that one.

mcrendog -

Here's an idea: Check out the modified and homemade forum here at CPF. Those are my favorites. Mr. Bulk, in fact, has been known to build a light or two. Also, check out the Sandwich Shoppe forum and Electro Lumens forum.

For top of the line manufactured lights Surefire is well respected here. Streamlight has some less expensive LED lights that have been well recieved.

For a start you could check out Brock's LED Flashlight Page. From there you might go to BrightGuy then click the LED flashlights button to see some pics.

mcrendog

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the tips! I'm probably going to go all the way and get an Arc LSH-P. I don't do anything halfway.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
mcrendog said:
I'm probably going to go all the way and get an Arc LSH-P. I don't do anything halfway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well!?

Good choice - albeit a bit expensive for one's very first light - but as they say nothing like starting at the top...

You might want to consider the difference between the LSH and LSL - High and Low dome -

My understanding is that the Low dome is more suitable as an area light - but being still reflector projected this might not be the "flood" that most people would think.

I have found for general usage that a narrowly focussed beam might seem impressive - but in practical use the field of light coverage might be bright - but just too narrow - giving almost a tunnel vision effect, whereas the same total light output spread evenly over a larger area - might not be quite as impressive long range - but sure illuminates a room up well.

Just to use a couple of well known examples - both my Ultra-G's will cover the full height of an 8ft tall wall from only 5ft away - that's an approx 77deg angular coverage - that very slightly wider than the equivalent of a 28mm lens on a 35mm camera - which is regarded as true wide-angle - slightly more than the coverage of the stationary human eye - this means the light will give impression of lighting up most enclosed environment well, with its overall larger/wider spill diameter.

Whereas the ArcAAA which is a really popular light here (for very good reason) only has a coverage of about 2/3 that of the Ultra-G - to cover the 8ft wall needed the light to be about 6.5ft away - that's an angle of about 63deg - that's the coverage of a 35mm lens on a 35mm camera - considered a moderate wide-angle to almost standard/normal focal length on a lot of compact cameras.

A 28mm can take a pretty representative overview of the room from the opposite corner - whereas a 35mm lens one needs to back out of the room to get reasonable coverage - it's exactly the same with light coverage.

The Ultra-G's 77deg will light a room well - whereas the ArcAAA (63deg) in comparison is like looking down a tunnel.

This is a very important aspect for me -

of course if I just wanted to shine lights in people's eyes to "blind" them - then I'd get the brightest and narrowest focussed beam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LED Flashlight -Low Dome

VT has it about right...the Low Dome is definitely not a flood type beam. My own Q3 LD definite leans to the spot more than to a flood. The spot is much larger, however, and with lots of side-spill. That hotspot will not Throw for a city block. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Fyi-the primary concentrated hot spot on my Q3/NX-05 [at 3 feet] is approx. 7" -with a secondary larger spot of about 14-20".

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
vcal said:
the Low Dome is definitely not a flood type beam. My own Q3 LD definite leans to the spot more than to a flood. The spot is much larger, however, and with lots of side-spill. That hotspot will not Throw for a city block. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Fyi-the primary concentrated hot spot on my Q3/NX-05 [at 3 feet] is approx. 7" -with a secondary larger spot of about 14-20".

[/ QUOTE ]

Intersting..... many thanks.

What is the size of the overall usable circle of light (spill diameter) at 3ft.?

I'm assuming the 14-20" diameter is still really for a (secondary) hot-spot - otherwise the overall coverage angle is a pretty narrow 31 deg - even at the maximum estimated diameter of 20".
However 31 deg is reasonably wide for a hot-spot and useful.

But just to keep things in perspective -
both my Dorcy 1AAA's hot-spot diameter can cover 20" from only 32" away - that's an angle of about 35 deg........
and their overall coverage - spill diameter is about the same as the Ultra-G at about 77 deg.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

The overall tertiary "spot" at 3' is about 30" dia.

At that point, there is very noticeable circular boundary -where the "sidespill" cuts in and the light level is about 10-15% of what the hotspot is..

p.s.-I gotta get at least a webcam one of these days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
vcal said:
The overall tertiary "spot" at 3' is about 30" dia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

That's (getting calculator out) only a total overall coverage of about 45 deg(!) -
[roughly a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera's angle of view - a normal or standard lens on a 35mm SLR]

The Arc LSL would take almost 10 ft distance to cover the full height of an 8ft tall wall -
- it's quite a bit narrower than even the ArcAAA's 63 deg -
much less the 77 degs of either the Ultra-G or Dorcy 1AAA....

Especially since I would assume the total light output of the Arc LS series would be much higher/brighter - this really would be like looking through a tunnel - because of the higher contrast between dark and light........

hmmmm...........

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

The LD w/NX05 puts much more of a spot than a flood, but because of it's power, it lights up a dark room really well. Picture a softly defined cone shaped beam-as opposed to a smaller, more Sharply defined one -as with the NX/05 HD.

As said, this is a great type light for all around general use.
As soon as I am able to get the Madmax+ 3W HD w/Fraen 6° optics, I should also have a Luxeon small pocket rocket with real throw.