Cheap $10 Amazon 'camping light' light versus best of breed torch?

Twinbee

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a 72 LED general purpose floodlight from Amazon for £6:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002JM0JIA/

I was just wondering how it compared (given similar size, weight, floodlight-ness, and maybe price) to the best torches/floodlights in terms of lumen output. Unfortunately, I don't know the lumen output of the thing since it doesn't say, but maybe someone here has it too, and can compare it to their best Maglite/Cree/Draper torch etc.

For example, how would it compare to say this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KC418A/

Last edited:

LowFlux

Enlightened
Well, you purchased a flood light. It is designed to provide a lot of light in a small area. You are asking how a lantern compares to a flashlight?

It comes with 72 "angry blue tinted" 5 mm LEDs, which aren't very efficient as far as lumen-per-watt and overall don't have longevity of higher-output LEDs. I'd say expect < 200 lumen output, with maybe a 30' range.

I'm personally not a fan of "shower-head" 5mm LED design lights. With a Solarforce host, a nailbender P60 drop in, and a Xeno TW02 wand/diffuser you can have both a flashlight and a lantern, with output determined by the type of P60 drop in you use.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Twinbee,
I don't have this particular model, but I've got a feeling that for the price it probably does a good job at what it's supposed to do. If you get some Sanyo AA rechargeable Eneloops you'd have a fine little setup. It is hard to compare this with a 2 D cell Maglite because they are two very different torches for two very different purposes. Your torch is designed for wide area illumination at close range and probably won't take much abuse, while the 2D Maglite is designed to be run over by a truck and keep working, providing a variable spot to flood beam.

I've found when buying anything, there is usually a trade-off somewhere. Here you're getting what looks to be a nice floody, battery operated camping/utility light at a fairly low price, however, it doesn't say anything about it's water resistance, so how will it do in the rain or mist? It's only got one level, so no way to extend the runtime if needed. Often times these types of inexpensive "shower head" torches use lesser quality LEDs, so I wouldn't count on super long life, and sometimes at this price level the build quality can suffer, leading to sudden failure, but hey, for roughly 6 pounds you can always buy another one :).

I like that it's got magnets on the back (as well as the hook on top), and the fact that it's got a 4 1/2 star rating from 391 people has to tell you something.

I'd say enjoy it for what it is and don't worry about what it isn't.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are two very different lights, as said above one is all flood and the other is a focusable light.
If you want a cheaper focusable light, the Sipik SK68 is quite popular, comes highly recommended, its sturdy, runs on one AA or a 14500. Is $5-$10 us and is found both on Amazon as well as a lot of vendors and dealer sites

jay_rush

Unenlightened
does anybody know of a light like in the first link that comes in 18650? or an 18650 kinda lanturn?