• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: XML-2 Mag Shorty - 1000 Lumens!

jayrob

Enlightened
If you want your XML-2 Mag mod as short as it can possibly be, eliminate the side button switch... :cool:

MagShorty1.jpg

Mag%20XM-L%20T6%2011.jpg

MagShorty9.jpg

MagShorty8.jpg

MagShorty4.jpg

MagShorty10.jpg

Overall Length:

* Incan reflector (or aluminum reflector) - 5.800 inches.
* Rebel reflector - 6.350 inches.

Perfect size! :cool:

MagShorty11.jpg

Features:

* Your choice of Mag host color
* Latest XML-2 emitter :) (or if you want a different XM-L emitter, I can order it)
* McClicky forward clicky tail switch :thumbsup:
* 3 Amp driver (mode choices)
* 6000mAh 32650 Li-Ion cell
* Other options available (see pricing below)

Driver:

* The driver I'm using, is the 8 X AMC7135 V2 driver, which uses 380mA chips vs 350mA chips normally.

So it puts out 3 Amps... :)

I personally like the 2 mode configuration with memory. (high, medium) Or 3 mode. (low, medium, high) But I can configure the driver how ever you would like it per this configuration sheet:

Eveready 19.jpg

The beam
is excellent...

MagShorty5.jpg

MagShorty6.jpg

Current readings (2 mode configuration): (High, medium)

Pretty much the same at the emitter as measured at the tail: (linear driver)

Measured at the tail: (battery current draw from a single, 6000mAh 32650 Li-Ion)
* High - 3020mA's... Estimated run time - 2 hours! :)
* Medium - 890mA's... Estimated run time - Over 6 hours at over 300 lumens! :D

Pricing:

My price for one of these Mag shorty mods showing battery and charger options, is like so:

* Complete Mag Shorty build (let me know choice of Mag color - and mode configuration desired) - $199

Options:
* 6000mAh 32650 Li-Ion cell - $24
* WF-188 charger - $37
* Aluminum reflector - $15 (specify smooth or MOP)
* UCL glass lens - $10
* Rebel reflector - $25 (more work to size the emitter and post to 12mm 'smaller opening', plus more cost for the LED Maglite)

* Shipping - (based on shipping location and depending on how paid, etc...) PM for total...
beer.gif

Hope you like it! :D

P.S. Trusted seller?

You can read any one of my threads to see that I am a trusted seller. For example, in the case of my 2D sized 1000 lumen Maglite flashlight mod, please take a few minutes to read some of the buyer feedback that I have listed here: (to see that I am a trusted seller)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...plete-Light!&p=3899217&viewfull=1#post3899217

Last edited:

CMAG

Enlightened
:takeit: Black H M L Will PM you tonight

Anyone who does not know Jay's work it is A#1

Last edited:

darkknightlight

Enlightened
These look really cool! What is the overall length of the light? Also, how is the positive battery contact handled; is it directly contacting the positive contact on the driver?

jayrob

Enlightened
These look really cool! What is the overall length of the light? Also, how is the positive battery contact handled; is it directly contacting the positive contact on the driver?

5.800 inches overall length with normal (Incan) reflector... (or aluminum reflector option)

MagShorty8.jpg

As now shown in the OP, it's a little longer if you wanted the Rebel reflector though. (because the reflector is longer, taking up more room inside)

About the battery contact question. Yes, the positive end of the battery is direct to the spring on the driver: (short as can be) :D

MagShorty7.jpg

Last edited:

CMAG

Enlightened
Hi Jay, PM replied. Flush Switch Cool:thumbsup::thumbsup:

jayrob

Enlightened
Would it be possible to do this mod with a Mag-C bored out for a 26650?

Sure I could bore it and everything, but keep in mind that the head size of a CMag is the same diameter as the DMag.

So because of that, I think it's better to use the larger capacity 32650 cell. (IMO)

The only other thing would be a tighter area for the switch mount into a CMag cap vs the DMag cap I am doing.

I use 3 set screws for a solid mount and contact point:

MagShorty9.jpg

The one you don't see in the picture, is going sideways through the aluminum piece, and pressing firmly onto the switch contact. Giving good electrical contact, but also holding the switch as well...

So I'm just wondering how I will be mounting the McClicky into the smaller CMag cap since I have not done that yet. But I'm sure I can figure a good way.

I still say DMag with 32650 is the way to go though! Much better capacity. Same head size...
beer.gif

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
:paypal: for:
1 Black XML-2 Shorty - $195 (High, Med with memory)
1 6000mAh 32650 - $22 (no charger)
1 UCL Glass Lens - $10
Shipping - $20 (based on PayPal fees plus priority shipping with delivery confirmation)
Total = $247

Thank you!!:thumbsup:

CMAG

Enlightened
Jay, received shorty today:D , A#1 workmanship:thumbsup:. Flush switch is a nice touch.
Just a little wall hunting so far (as I have no free time this week) nice tight hot spot and lot of spill

SED

Newly Enlightened
JayRob,

You should be Mag Instrument Company's Vice President/Director of Product Development!

You know I gotta have one of these! Single-cell D NiMH (Maha Imedion) configuration, of course (this build will be a really short "Super Stubby"!) with 3-level driver as used in my previous single-D NiMH builds.

Check your PM for my "Project 5" Spec, and advise.

Host is packed and ready to ship.

Thanks, and Regards,

SED

PS: I continue to be very well pleased with my single-D and triple-D NiMH builds, Projects 1-4, as inspired by
FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Light!
Single-D NiMH are my compact go-to lights for most work in and around the home, vehicle, and briefcase carry; Triple-D when I need max lumens and runtime.

jayrob

Enlightened
JayRob,

You should be Mag Instrument Company's Vice President/Director of Product Development!

You know I gotta have one of these! Single-cell D NiMH (Maha Imedion) configuration, of course (this build will be a really short "Super Stubby"!) with 3-level driver as used in my previous single-D NiMH builds.

Check your PM for my "Project 5" Spec, and advise.

Host is packed and ready to ship.

Thanks, and Regards,

SED

PS: I continue to be very well pleased with my single-D and triple-D NiMH builds, Projects 1-4, as inspired by
FS: 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 Maglite Mod With Voltage Monitor - Parts, or Complete Light!
Single-D NiMH are my compact go-to lights for most work in and around the home, vehicle, and briefcase carry; Triple-D when I need max lumens and runtime.

Sure if we can still find that driver we used for the single cell NiMH builds, we can do the same...

Any reason you don't like Li-Ion?

SED

Newly Enlightened
JayRob,

Brief summary of my PM reply to you regarding this question - for benefit of Thread Readers:

In answer to your question regarding the lithium-ion cells, I do not dislike them. As we saw back when I did that MagLite performance spreadsheet, your 1- and 2-Feilong builds are the optimal MagLites!!!

I simply do not want to take on another battery technology. I have pretty well "standardized" on the MAHA NiMH "Imedion" low-discharge cells, with which I have had great experience, no problems. They really hold their capacity as advertised. For my applications and needs, they are sufficient. (My only suggestion for MAHA is to make a D-Sized cell charger/analyzer similar to their AA charger/analyzer; so I can maintain my D cells to the same level as I do the AA cells.)

Our driver source no longer carries the 1D boost driver we used for my 1D NiMH MagLites, and I have not yet found a suitable replacement. (I was lucky to have built my 1D lights when I did!) If in the future I come up with another 1D driver solution, I can have you build a 1D NiMH "Shorty" at that time. It will not be 1000 lumen in 1D; but still quite a light for its size.

Meanwhile, after thinking it over, I have decided to have you build me a 3-NiMH MagLight with the NiMH 3-cell / Li-Ion 1-cell Spectrum voltage monitor installed as you recommend in your October 30 PM. All the performance of the XML2 and V2 driver, with plenty of runtime, using my existing cells!

Therefore:

:takeit: :paypal:

Please see my PM reply to your quote for details.

Many Thanks for great suggestions, and Great Lights!
Regards,
SED
___

Sure if we can still find that driver we used for the single cell NiMH builds, we can do the same...

Any reason you don't like Li-Ion?