Fenix LD-41 - emitter replacement?

BreathingMeat

Newly Enlightened
I picked up an LD-41 some months back and I'm sorry to say it's just been sitting in a drawer since. I'm happy enough with the size, construction, UI, etc., but the beam has a nasty green ring around the hotspot (yes, I plead guilty to doing some white wall hunting). Since I've had it for months, I don't want to try exchanging it for a (hopefully) better beam, so I'm thinking about replacing the XM-L emitter.

So long as I'm at it, I figure I should ask the experts... What should I be replacing the current emitter with? Another XM-L and hope for the best? Is there a particular version that I might have better luck with?

...and since I haven't opened the head up yet, should I be buying just the led, or is it on a pcb that might be easier to work with?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks, -BM

BreathingMeat

Newly Enlightened
Thread moved? From "LED flashlights" to "Homemade and Modified Flashlight Discussion"? I was asking about a stock light that has a well known problem and thought that the knowledgeable folk here might help me to correct one of that light's shortcomings. Guess I'll just toss it in the recycling bin. Thanks CPF!

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, but you cannot do the replacement without considerable specialized work.
break the thread locker that keeps the bezel glued with heat, remove the LED with its base from the flashlight, and then resolder the new LED on the base ( something I personnaly consider above average modding skill).
these issues belong here. hardly coffee shop talk and work.

ETA: One more point to consider is that some of us do not have the TIME to browse ALL CPF...In my case -and fpr some years now- i only visist this section and the batteries & electronics one. If i were to frequent the LED flashlights section I would have to sacrifice modding.

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have a Fenix light, and would be interested in hearing about a possible lamp upgrade. I'm rather handy with a soldering gun and have many, many years of mechanically-based tinkering.

~D

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
have a look at other threads were people installing new LEDs in lights like fenix, nitecore, 4sevens.

the process is about the same. the tricky parts are getting to the LED and finding a compatible LED base, else yuo ahve to exchange the LED on its original MCPCB