Brightest possible LANDING LIGHTS

T

TWICKENHAMAN1

Hi I am looking for the brightest possible 2x landing lights for my model gas turbine jetplane. They must be really really white & bright. To be visible in moderate daylight no more than 1" dia including reflector and can be diodes.halogen or Xnenon maybe. Power source is 2x (or poss 3x) 3.7 volt Lith Ion cells so up to 10 volts at constant 5 amps to feed BOTH bulbs. Run time is 2 mins max during landing.
Any ideas or help very welcome !

rlhess

Enlightened
Some of the Surefire Lamp Assemblies might be useful, although you may want to regulate the voltage from the plane's DC bus.

The P91 is a 9V 200 lumen assembly. Comes with its own reflector. I wouldn't run this on a hard 9V, however, because the internal resistance of the 123 cells is part of the equation. I think they're no more than about 2.5A each.

http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/flash.htm shows them at 6.25V at 2.35A, 14.6W

For a tighter beam (the P91 is pretty flood-ish) the Underwater Kinetics LAs might be OK, but I think the one for the SL-6 is a bit larger in diameter (1-3/8 in). The P91 is exactly an inch in diameter.

The two springs on the rear of the P91 might make it easy to mount and connect to...and replace.

Cheers,

Richard

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your specs are at all flexible, and if price isn't a problem (which you can be teased about because of your very expensive turbojet hobby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) you might consider an extra 10mm (total dia = 1.375") and I don't know what battery source for this HID:

Reference page
WA4still.jpg

The Welch-Allyn lamp LK10-001-00, which can be had as part of the developer's kit or part of a group buy if you set one up or separately but with a minimum order of some sort from WA. Probably go for the Dev kit which gives you 5 lamps and ballasts to play with.
Lumens: 450
Beam spread: 6 degree
Volts: 12V
Current: .83A
Watts: 10.00W
I believe other ballasts can be suited to the power you're using. NiCd or NiMH might be another option?

Airflow during flight should be more than enough to keep it nice & cool.

I for one would love to see a pic of the plane.

T

TWICKENHAMAN1

Binky
Thanks for the suggestion but @ $500 a shot is too much for me. However I have sent you a mail re the plane picture.
And thanks Rlhess the P 91 looks a good option. I am trying to get sizes from the Surefire web site but there are no pics for that product sadly. I only want to purchase the holder and bulb not the casing. What are my best options for cost on this can you advise.
Hey you know your lights !!

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
The $500 is for the whole developer's kit, which includes 5 lights & 5 ballasts. But I understand that you might mean also that no matter how many lights come in the kit, the $500 outlay is too much.

Thanks for the picture! I'm heading over to PM to retrieve it right now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rlhess

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
TWICKENHAMAN1 said:
And thanks Rlhess the P 91 looks a good option. I am trying to get sizes from the Surefire web site but there are no pics for that product sadly. I only want to purchase the holder and bulb not the casing. What are my best options for cost on this can you advise.
Hey you know your lights !!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!

These LAs come "as is" with bulb, reflector, and springs as a factory-made unit. That, to me, is one of the attractions. You get the pre-focused reflector/lamp assembly in one shot, and the springs may make it easier to design a receptacle so the entire LA just pops in.

These things put out a wall of light for their size.

Here's what a P91 looks like.

p91.jpg

I think they're about $25 or so from one of the dealers like Tactical Warehouse or LPS Tactical.

Good luck,

Richard

T

TWICKENHAMAN1

Richard,
Thanks a million and I have ordered two from the recomended source.If you give me a mail address I can send a shot of the planeas I dont have a web site