Is this where "What the Hell was that?" mods go?

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
Is this where \"What the Hell was that?\" mods go?

Here is my entry for the "Too Much Time On Their Hands" award. (Truth be told, I am quite envious of you folks with the 12 foot lathes and vertical mills. My apartment workshop has only one power tool, a Weller solder station).

I found this flashlight at the 99¢ store. It uses 4 AA cells and comes with a 4.8 volt, 700ma bulb. I loaded it up with fresh cells and turned it on. I was horrified at the weak urine yellow beam it emitted. ("So ELM, what exactly did you expect for 99¢?"). I decided to try and improve it with parts I had on hand. It's soft plastic shell was easily gutted with a steak knife. Mods include installing two 18650 Li-Ion cells wired in parallel for 3700mah capacity, using a Maglite 3 cell xenon bulb and replacing the thick lens with a standard Maglite C/D polycarbonate one.

The unsuspecting victim:
Enersonic.jpg

Host prior to mod:
Pre-mod.jpg

Host modded:
Post-mod.jpg

Maglite polycarbonate compared with Hoover Dam original:
Lens.jpg

Beamshot:
Beam1.jpg

Another beamshot:
Beam2.jpg

Please be so kind as to contain your snickering off line. And make no attempt to contact Mental Health Services in my area; I'm already on the books. Happy T-Day everyone!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Re: Is this where

Very nice actually, is that a circuit I see in the third pic?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice work ELM,

Of course, it's only partially ghetto because of your clever use of the scavenged Li-Ion protection circuitry. I like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

very nice mod! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

looks much more useful now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif