MagLite Experts...

PA86

Newly Enlightened
I have a 5d Xenon Maglite that I'd like to upgrade to LED... this has the bi-pin bulb.

What are my options for an LED upgrade?

I've done a Krypton one before but the 'socket' on this Xenon one is different. Doesn't look like the LED can just drop in.

Thanks!

whatswrongwithmee

Newly Enlightened
I don't know how the krpyton sockets look like but check out Malkoff, he makes LED drop-ins and has a adapter sleeve for the really old Maglites, maybe that would work? His LED's are top-notch stuff, I brought a Maglite just to upgrade it.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Can you print the model number of your light? It should be printed on the side of the barrel opposite the switch. I'm not aware of any difference between Xenon and Krypton sockets but to be sure I'll look up your model. Either way Malkoff is basically the way to go for Mag LED upgrades.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The bi-pin assembly just means it's a newer model, you can pull the bi-pin plug out and it becomes a standard PR socket. And the Malkoff is indeed the way to go, but be aware that you're looking at spending $40 plus shipping for 300 lumens in the giant 5D format; local box stores around you have the pocket-sized 225 lumen MiniMag Pro for $20, no shipping or waiting..

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Sv: MagLite Experts...

There is the Terralux with triple emitters that gives a nice and bright beam.
Easy to mount.

PA86

Newly Enlightened
The bi-pin assembly just means it's a newer model, you can pull the bi-pin plug out and it becomes a standard PR socket.

Thanks, I did just that.

And the Malkoff is indeed the way to go, but be aware that you're looking at spending $40 plus shipping for 300 lumens in the giant 5D format; local box stores around you have the pocket-sized 225 lumen MiniMag Pro for $20, no shipping or waiting..

I want the big ole 5D as a dedicated 'house light.'

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can make yourself a dummy D cell, you can get the 2-4D XML Malkoff. Bump you from 270 to 700 lumens.

At the low end there is the TerraLUX TLE-6EX 140 lumens from led-replacement or BatteryJunction.
superbrightleds has a 3 Watt Flashlight Bulb 3.5~9 VDC 180 Lumen.
Note these are bulb lumens not out the front lumens of the Malkoff. You will probably get 90 OTF with the Terralux and 120 OTF with the superbrightleds.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
What kind of budget are you working with? Do you prefer easy dropins or are you comfortable with some DIY work? Lastly what kind of batteries are you going to use?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
5D NIMH and the dx 5xr2 module. they claim 1200 lumen. Runtime damn near forever with some good d cells
Be careful with buying modules from dx. They are designed to fit WF500 series flashlights, not Mags. The fit on Mags is not too good, which means heatsinking is not too good for extended runs. Also the bezel may not screw down all the way resulting in an ugly looking torch.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
The Terralux I mentioned, Ministar 31M-EX, fits right in and works with 4-6 D-cells.
It is very bright.
I think it claims 1000 lumens, that's probably emitter lumens but it's bright anyway.
Nice beam and tint also IMHO. Not much of a thrower though.

Aznwolf118

Newly Enlightened
I wasn't impressed with the terralux in my 4d maglite, but since I paid for its staying for a bit untili can figure out something more of a thrower

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
And the Malkoff is indeed the way to go, but be aware that you're looking at spending $40 plus shipping for 300 lumens in the giant 5D format; local box stores around you have the pocket-sized 225 lumen MiniMag Pro for $20, no shipping or waiting..

On the other hand, it's a well-known fact that the MiniMag Pro (along with other Mag LED offerings) doesn't sustain its output. It powers back in order to protect the light from overheating and preserve battery life. With a Malkoff drop-in, you're getting a solid 300 lumens as long as the batteries can provide it.

Latest posts