'The Perfect Beam'

Deanster

Enlightened
\'The Perfect Beam\'

I'm as much of a flash-a-holic as the next guy, but I thought it might be interesting to re-visit the strong tendency to rate flashlights by the appearance of their beam against a blank white wall.

I do this as much as anyone here, since it's the best way to compare the beam shape, relative brightness, etc. of flashlights.

What always surprises me is the fact that many seem to disqualify and shun lights that have beam 'imperfections'.

It just makes me a little crazy when I see someone say, (I'm paraphrasing from a thread a couple days ago, but it's a common theme here - no flames intended) 'I'm trading the Pelican Stealthlight in on something with a more utiltarian beam, as it has a slight ring and some dark spots at the rim.' Their privilege, of course, and they should have the light they want, but the idea that any light is fundamentally flawed to the point of uselessness because the beam isn't a perfect globe with a corona, seems odd to me.

The value of the perfect beam, IMHO, diminishes in direct proportion to the perfection of the thing you're lighting up. At least MY trunk, boat, yard, dog park and dust bunnies aren't perfect enough to warrant going to any length to ensure that they are perfectly evenly lit.

I like my Surefires (G2, Z3 w/P91) as much as anyone, but it's very clear that there are MAJOR tradeoffs (price, throw distance, lamp durability, unit-to-unit consistency, etc.) in exchange for the 'perfect beam'.

Am I off base here? let me know if I'm missing something.

confused.gif

nihraguk

Enlightened
Re: \'The Perfect Beam\'

nah...you just have a different criteria of judging different lights. to me (and i believe this may apply to you to), i judge a flashlight for its beam quality, as well as its build quality, water-resistance, and how well if fits my needs. as a very valid example, most cpf members love the arc AAA (and so do i), despite the fact that it might have inconsistancies in the beam such as a blue hotspot with a yellowish corona.

other might love the M2, but i think its a little too large and expensive. everyone is entitled to their own opinions, as you are yourself and there's nothing wrong with expressing them. i personally like the black C2, despite it not being one of the more popular lights here
smile.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am one of those who can't stand filament images and artifacts, something that is easily cured with a faceted or textured reflector.

A good example of a light that has rings, is the Brinkmann Rebel (single LED w/collimator). I like it alot, in spite of that.

I prefer lights that are at least balanced between brightness and runtime, or are optimized for runtime. I also prefer LED over incandescant (has the effect of saving alot of money in the long run).

Nihraguk and I are very much alike, though our flashlight needs likely differ.

I bought an Eveready Comfort Grip 2C flashlight at Walmart, as an impulse buy (less than $10). I put a Versalux PR-2 LED bulb in it and managed to get it focused. I have grown very fond of it, despite the fact that it is not water resistant.

Some of us are Obsessive/Compulsives. Degree of which varies widely.
grin.gif

Anyways, welcome to CPF, Deanster!

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Deanster,

In my case, the quality of beam becomes an issue when it effects what I am looking at. If I am looking at a blank white wall, I want the perfect beam. If I am walking in the woods at night, I want something that will light up my path and keep me from tripping over rocks and roots.

I did an inspection of a buried 48" diameter piping system a few years back. There was about a mile of pipe to inspect and I had to map out all of the problems observed. This pipe was made of fiberglass and had a lot of problems. My tools included a 2D Mag and a 2AA Mag as backup. After 2 weeks inside the pipe, I hate the rings in the beam of the Maglite, I find the short run time a nucience, and every time I dropped the light and broke the bulb I wished for something better (and uttered a choice few words).

I get real picky with my close up lights. I want a smooth even flood. When I am trying to find a marker on the water an night, I just want something that will light it up. The ability of the flashlight to focus the light becomes more of an issue that the beam shape.

Oh well, thats my $0.02 worth.

Tom

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
....A good example of a light that has rings, is the Brinkmann Rebel (single LED w/collimator). I like it alot, in spite of that.....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">taking the collimator out gives it a nice even flood(of course it would) and the led is set back far enough in the head to prevent any damage as long as you don't poke something down there.

and actually removing the the very top piece(with the "Long Life Led" writing) allows it to flood out even more. without the collimator, no rings that i could see and it was enough to light up most of my small bathroom(and that's with some exhausted batteries in it still)

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree, however I do it all the time. I just bought an Arc LSH-P and for everyday use there is nothing wrong with it, but when I look at the beam it has a dark spot and is not well centered. This really bugs me I paid a lot of money for it and think it should be perfect even though it is not noticeable in real use. So while I do agree that it shouldn't matter it still does to me, if that makes any sence.
smile.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Uttering the sentiments of a few people here, I think beam shape matters when certain applications demand them.

If you're shining a M$glight at a campsite, and it happened to be in flood mode, the rings will make you cringe. There is an obvious reason M$gs don't tout their flood mode as much as their ability to throw a tight beam and construction. But something like an UltraStinger with the faceted reflector achieves something that's, at least for me, much more desireable in terms of beam quality, mainly because of the more complete use of all light being emitted, whether in flood or focused mode. To me, a light that has a smooth beam requires you to shift your flashlight less in order to cancel out dark spots or rings.

Obviously, everyone has their own needs. For some, beam pattern doesn't matter, so long as the light serves its purpose (well, to light up things). For others, it's aesthetics more than it is practicality. Then you have those who actually need a good even light, when you're hiking or cave'n or in a job that requires good, even illumination... Every light for every purpose, I guess...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Wow! A lot of what is being said here rings true with me!

I like a good beam. Obsessed is a good word.

There are cases like the M*gnum St*r Xenon bulbs in several of my M*gl!tes making a nearly lazer tight spot. I don't tend to pick those up when I need to USE a flashlight. They are mostly for play.

There are cases where I KNOW the reflector makes the difference. My Rayovac Industrial lights all have faceted reflectors. Some of my Sears lights do too. All make a very nice, round, somewhat wide beam. They are the lights I keep in strategic locations for when I need a light.

There are some things that can't be explained easily. The orange peel reflector in my TEC 40, and Stinger HP don't seem to have as much to do with beam quality as the sheer amount of light the bulbs are blasting out. The TEC 40 goes with me sometimes, and the HP is in my truck on a slow charger.

I don't have any really great LED stuff with the exception of a Madmax sandwich from Wayne in my old 2AA M!n!m*g. It rides on my belt ALWAYS! It is far and away the most useful tool I carry! Well, there are the ARC AAA and Infinity Ultra that take turns around my neck....

I do so enjoy a smooth beam.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

many excellent responses.

it seems there might be 2 types of general beam classification: beam type and beam quality.

"beam type" might be wide/narrow/flood/flood with mild central hotspot, etc, etc...

"quality" might refer to the smoothness/evenness/lack of artifact/etc.

everyone has their favorite combination, and of course there is often the right combo for the job.

i prefer a fairly flood-like beam with a moderate hotspot for just a bit of throw. i find rings/holes to be very distracting, and spot beams do little for me except light up something far away, or wash out my near vision.

i dont really test against a white wall because in real use, little artifacts probably wont make much differrence.

Bob

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only time for me when I think a perfect, non-artifact, even beam shape or type is an absolute want, but not necessarily an absolute "application" must, is the "wow factor" I would be inciting in my friends when I show them, for example, my SureFire M6 for its smooth, intense, white hotspot, or my TigerLight for its great, narrow throw from a small 2D-like light.

Lights such as a MaxaBeam are dopetacular in terms of beam throw, but are for all intents and purposes, impractical for everyday use, and therefore, relegated to a showoff-type of intermittent use as a "wow factor" light.

I think in truth, we want, and maybe need, a dimmable flashlight that has a wide but smooth, even and powerful flood that can illuminate an entire 40ftx40ft area, but also can be turned quickly into a laser-thin, focused beam for hundreds of yards of penetration, and yet able to strap it into a holster or hold comfortably in the hand, and still use batteries that are of the customary type (AA,C,D).

Sometimes, I just wish my MaxaBeam or my X990 had a textured reflector...
grin.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello FalconFX

I beg to disagree with you. When the "application" is the "WOW" factor, it is imparitive that the beam be as close to perfect as possible. If the other person has a better beam, they will get the "WOW."

I agree with jtivat. If you spend lots of money on a light, it better have a good quality beam, and it would help if there were lots of features to go with it.

Tom

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, of course, if you're going for a wow factor, you'll want the best of the best. True. I think, however, when people spend literally hundreds of dollars on a good quality flashlight, it's not solely for a "wow" factor. It has to have other uses, practical uses, in a well rounded body with other variables, in addition to being a cool light and one with a great beam. Only flashaholics will purchase a light because it's HA-III or because it's reflector is an "orange peel"...

I look at it this way: If your average Joe/Jane needs a flashlight, they'll head off to a store and buy a somewhat cheap light that usually doesn't have a great beam, but gets the job done. Only a flashaholic will dig down to how much phosphor's on the die or what anodizing it uses or how many amps the bulb pulls...

My point to the original post is, you don't necessarily need a perfect beam for a flashlight, but if you do have one that has a perfect beam, more than likely, it'll more than likely be used to impress others who see it.

jmm

Newly Enlightened

SilverFox - I'm curious... Given the advances in lighting technology in the last couple of years, and what you might have learned from hanging around here, what would you take with you now if you had to spend two weeks in that pipe again?

I mostly "play" with lights by comparison to what you did, and can usually make do with the wrong light for the wrong application because I'm only going to be using it for a couple of minutes so who cares. Something tells me I might tend to look at some of my favotites in a different light (pun intended) if I was faced with the task you were.

John

Skyline

Enlightened

Yup, I'm guilty of requiring the perfect beam.
smile.gif
I own some Pelican lights...but only because I discovered Surefire later. I'm simply not interested in spending money on a light if the beam will show rings, dark spots, etc. Why should I have to settle for something inferior?

grin.gif

Monsters_Inc

Banned

IMHO beam quality is largely to do with the bulb itself and the way the glass encases the filament. The reflector may be able to enhance what's there, but can't work miracles.

In the pitch black outdoors, it doesn't bother me that my light doesn't produce a perfect beam with no rings or artifacts, when what I need is light, plenty of it, and throw.

Indoors while I fix a midnight snack in the kitchen, it doesn't bother me either, when what I want then is an even spread of light.

The only time beam imperfections bother me is when I shine the light at the white wall of my room.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello jmm,

I still spend time in pipes and tanks. It's part of my work.

The Mag 2D has been replaced by a PT 40 and the Mag 2AA has been replaced by a Petzl Tikka. In everyday use, I can't say enough good things about these two lights, but two come to mind: Durable and Reliable.

After discovering this forum, I have an INRETECH Super 6 on order, and have just recently purchased an ARC LSH-P. The ARC is a great light, but it is a little small in my hand. With protective coverall's and gloves on, I don't think I could manage it with ease. I am going to order the 2AA battery attachment for the ARC and see if that is a little better to handle.

Another problem I run into is trying to see what is on the top of a 30' tank while standing inside on the bottom. I picked up a UK SL4 and am totally impressed with that light. Tight beam, long throw, waterproof, cheap, doesn't roll off when you set it down, kind of fits in a coverall pocket, a wonderful fit in my hand (with or without gloves), and managable weight.

To digress a little off the topic... When I go camping my favorite lights are Externalight XRay Elite (for the wow factor and useful), ARC LSH-P (for the WOW really COOL factor and useful), and the Pelecan L1 (which is very useful).

Tom

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast

SilverFox,
The ARC LS with the 2AA adapter will be like handleing the Mag 2AA. The SL4 is a great light for it's size & price if you need long throw. TX

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

We all do flashlights for different reasons!

If your "thing" is to shine a light on to a white wall, and judge the perfection of the beam,GREAT!

If your "thing" is to use a light, in real world situations, and the beam is acceptable, then GREAT!

Like many here, I was dissapointed with my many MAG-LIGHTS (I am not afraid to spell it out!) and other "Wal-Mart high end" lights, like my Energizer 8AA double barrel lights.

I remember the first time I turned on my first "high end" flashlight, a Princeton Tec Surge, and was just amazed at the beam quality.

I tend to like the Streamlight lights, even though they do not have "perfection" in their beam, they are definately "good enough"! If SureFire got an "A+" on their beam quality (aren't some SureFire beams oval?), I would rate the Streamlight quality at "A-". PLUS, the Streamlights durability is outstanding, and their users often trust Streamlight with their very life.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened

I love the beam from my Luxeon 5W torch, which can literally light an entire 10 hectare field. The beam is perfectly smooth.
On the other hand, the Rubberlux I have has two distinct die spots from its LED's, but cn project a very long distance in high quality darkness, picking out road signs and car numberplaes with ease.
The beam from Oranges & Lemons is useable but is mottled yellow and orange. Despite its irregular beam pattern, it is oftn used as an EDc.
The Bt2 cyan torch is popular among night readers, for a small torch it has an exceptionally smooth beam.