Settle down your addiction yet?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mods: if this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move it to the appropriate place.

After many years of flashaholism I've finally settled. I've pared down my collection to a handful of lights. Is my addiction to buy new lights dead? Yes. Part of that is for :broke: reasons, but the desire is largely gone. I still love flashlights but I simply don't have the urge to buy a new one. My last purchase was a 007 and I'm very satisfied with it. Post if you're on the same boat.:wave:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Re: Settle down your addiciton yet?

I'm in the same boat, I now look at new lights and ask myself what will it add to my collection, I have mostly Malkoffs and it is very hard to convince me that I need something new, I no longer chase lumens I've learnt that this months super light won't take long to be supersede.

I think quality lights are cheaper in the long run, multiple cheap lights just don't give me the same satisfaction that I get owning one quality light.

Norm

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

My addiction is settled for the big three emitter types for my major 3 uses.

XM-L2 for EDC blinding lux (EagleTac TX25C2)
XP-G2 incandescent like warm tint for low key use (SureFire 6P w/Malkoff M61WLL drop-in)
Nichia 219 when quality matters (SureFire C2 w/Kerberos quad Nichia 219 drop-in)

I don't even really give a rats about the MT-G2 anymore. It doesn't substitute any of the above. :D

Yes. I am settled.

But god help me if there's a XM-L3/XP-G3/Nichia 319

Edit: This thread would see more traffic in the General Discussion forum.

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

ha! i think a 007 might have the same effect on me. luckily im very satisfied with my current lights.
as of right now... my addiction has been settled for about a year now. i realized, i only really use 2 types of lights. EDC and work lights. well, 3 if you include headlamps. and the only light ive bought in almost a year was a homemade lantern from lazyboy.
the availability of high CRI LEDs have also helped me settle. as well as kept me from jumping on any new light that comes out because its not my preference in emitters.

so after finally discovering how perfect the surefire L1 worked for me as a EDC light, i picked up a few back ups. occasionally swapping emitters and parts in them to keep things interesting. but other than that, im settled on those as my EDC.

and for my work lights, a good ole bored C2 with a couple different drop-ins covers most of my criteria. along with a couple of 2-mode E-series, and other p60 hosts floating around.

the only light that i still want is a single cr123 powered headlamp. but im not sold on any of the current models on the markets. so ill continue to wait patiently..

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Yeah, my addiction settled down awhile ago when I realized that I had enough lights to easily last me 3 or 4 Lifetimes.

I think the biggest nail in the coffin was getting my Milky-modded L1 Extreme. 40 lumens on Low, 200+ on high. Actual lumens numbers, and I had a 200+ lumen light running off of a single CR123 cell months before the SureFire EB1 came out.

Norm

Retired Administrator

I'm in the same boat, I now look at new lights and ask myself what will it add to my collection, I have mostly Malkoffs and it is very hard to convince me that I need something new, I no longer chase lumens I've learnt that this months super light won't take long to be supersede.

I think quality lights are cheaper in the long run, multiple cheap lights just don't give me the same satisfaction that I get owning one quality light.

Norm

:oops: Just fell of the wagon and ordered a SolarForce S2200

Norm

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

A side from one light I'll purchase in the near future. I'm pretty much settled with what I have.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

I still have a couple (a few?) that I want to get eventually, but content for now, and my buying pace has dropped quite considerably. Like others, I have found that quality is more important than anything else. My last light will probably be a Dark Sucks custom, but for now that is out of my price range.

al93535

Newly Enlightened

Oh yeah I've completely settled down I love my HDS 170 and my zebra h31w. I switch between those two for my everyday carry and I have about 10 other ones that I love to play with.
my newest addiction is a little more expensive; now I've moved on to RC helicopters. Very awesome very challenging very fun very addicting. before that between the lights and choppers was knives and how to sharpen I found my most favorite knife; a Spyderco paramilitary 2, love it, that was the end of knives for me.

sent from a non Apple device

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
My buying of lights has pretty much stopped. I've settled on a Mac's Damascus Tri-EDC with custom programming, Spy 007 with custom a Turbo head, Fire Foxes 4 HID, and a Oveready M2 ribbed DD.

I also wear a MBI HF-R UTT around my neck, with a 40DD on my keys.

This is a collection that was shrunken down from 20 plus lights, and it was constantly changing. I agree with most people it was VERY difficult to do, and I hope to shrink the collection down even further.

gunga

Flashaholic
Yes and no. I'm not quite the addict I use to be, but I still jump
On deals and value. I hover around 50 (if you count practically everything) and the number never seems to go down. For every one I sell, another comes.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have to say that while it has settled down a great deal ... It was a fun ride while it was at its height. Everything in my Life back then just seemed to fit together perfectly to indulge my addiction. My job, my lifestyle back then ... Everything. Funny when you look back. :)

BVH

Flashaholic
A Spectrolab SX-16 1,600 Watt NightSun helicopter Short Arc Searchlight, a TrakkaBeam M800, 800 Watt helicopter Short Arc Searchlight and Set Beam 150 Watt hand held Short Arc searchlight in the last 3 weeks.............I'd say my addiction is still strong.