Owl light advice needed

mporter

Newly Enlightened
I want the best combination of long throw and portability. It should be strong enough to illuminate an owl in a tree top yet still fit in a coat pocket. If it's too big, I won't have it with me when I need it.

Let's assume I will have another light along for walking and general use. Say an Arc LS, or SF L5. The owl light will be an auxiliary light, always ready for those occasions when really long throw is needed. Often, it will be used with binoculars.

The Surefire M6 and the TigerLight MBOP come to mind as two likely candidates. I have some experience with the M6, so that's a good reference point.

1. Which of the two (M6 or TigerLight) would be best?

2. Are there any beamshots that compare these two?

3. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
an M6 or a Tigerlight to spot owls?

those must be some tall trees! haha

i was gonna come reccomend the Blaster Jr. from Elektrolumens.com but i just had 2nd thoughts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rlhess

Enlightened
I think the M3T or the SRTH on a 3-cell 9P or similar may do the trick.

I was thinking the Streamlight TL-3 with it's 100 foot throw (as opposed to the 120 foot throw of the SRTH or UltraStinger)* is a good pocketable light.

Of course any of these might just tick off the owl.

Cheers,

Richard

*I define throw as the distance at which you will see one footcandle of illumination. This is almost enough to read by (3-5 fc is a minimum for any reading) and it's 100x brighter than full moonlight which is about 0.01 (0.1lux).