Pocket clip design?

paddyred

Newly Enlightened
Okay so I cant get hold of a pocket clip for my Peak Logan so I'm making one myself! I was looking at the clip on my preon 2 as someone said that it will fit on other peak's so i measured it and got around 1mm thickness (I couldn't be bothered to take it off to use the old micrometer!). I have some 1mm stainless steel so I was going to make one myself. I was looking for inspiration for some pocket jewelry! any hints/tips from past experience or from bad designs would also be appreciated!

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's another thread about replacement clips, specifically regarding the ITP EOS and others AAAs in general. Therein, I recommended some options for obtaining replacement clips for a AAA light including a decent looking SS one that cnqualitygoods.com sells for $1.50 USD. Not quite sure how well it would work on a Peak Logan but perhaps it could be modified or used as a kind of "template" for the DIY one you have in mind.

paddyred

Newly Enlightened
There's another thread about replacement clips, specifically regarding the ITP EOS and others AAAs in general. Therein, I recommended some options for obtaining replacement clips for a AAA light including a decent looking SS one that cnqualitygoods.com sells for $1.50 USD. Not quite sure how well it would work on a Peak Logan but perhaps it could be modified or used as a kind of "template" for the DIY one you have in mind.

Thanks for that, I'm going to be fitting it with the momentary switch on the back of the Logan, I'm just looking for some pretty designs

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty? How about old flatware for parts or inspiration? You can also find some interesting old engraved and stamped pieces in your local junk shop.

fHFU5L0.jpg

Last edited:

paddyred

Newly Enlightened
Nice flatware! haha! Bit difficult to replicate in the workshop though! I like some of the custom ones I've seen on the sunwayman V10R ti's that people have modded. I also wanted to know if people have had pocket clips that have been terrible i.e. tearing clothing ect.

paddyred

Newly Enlightened
So I made V.1 today as a test to see what i can do with a vice, a file and a hand drill (I have proper machinery but I like doing things by hand, makes it more personal) I made a test piece out of brass as i only had 320 stainless steel which is FAR too soft. I have some spring steel that I will use to make the final piece! Here are the fruits of 15 mins work!
i8ut.jpg

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good! What software did you use to create those draft diagrams? Been looking for something like that.

I like:
- the flat paddle shape on the end

I don't like:
- that it copies Moddoo's (TorchLab) 3-hole design

Keep in mind that your Peak's momentary switch needs to be v1 (with the longer plunger inside) as the v2 won't reach the battery if you add a clip in between.

paddyred

Newly Enlightened
Looks good! What software did you use to create those draft diagrams? Been looking for something like that.

I like:
- the flat paddle shape on the end

I don't like:
- that it copies Moddoo's (TorchLab) 3-hole design

Keep in mind that your Peak's momentary switch needs to be v1 (with the longer plunger inside) as the v2 won't reach the battery if you add a clip in between.

I used AutoDesk (AutoCAD 2014) there are many alternatives out there! Thank you for your comments, and it is slightly copying moddoo's design. I like the appearance and its very easy to produce! I was looking for better designs but I'm struggling! I've ordered the momentary with the clip screw! the new version comes with a screw that can be added/removed that fits on the end of the plunger to take up the extra space if the clip is added!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's no problem whatsoever, since you're not peddling them.

Nice work!

paddyred

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, this is more of a thing on the side for me! I would, however be able to give you the plans to make one, I can plot it to scale so its as easy as cutting it out and sticking it to the sheet metal you want to use!

Just click the below link and select the GRAY Download box and put it the security code! If you struggle I can E-Mail it!
http://www.filedropper.com/torchclip

Sorry about the untidy drawing it was a cobble together so I Knew what I was making!

Also I don't want to have issues with copyrights ect seeing as it is so close to the Moddoolar! Thank you for your interest though!

Last edited:

paddyred

Newly Enlightened
So I made V2.0 of the clip today using a cheap spring steel 12" ruler from my local hardware shop for £1.50 (Enough to make 4 clips). Also my Logan has finally arrived too! The old brass clip looked ok but not great and the distance from the hole to the bend was too much too. In the end i spent an hour using a hacksaw and a file to make what you see below. Fits well and retains on clothing well, also it allows for very deep pocket carry (Something which a lot of lights are missing now). I changed my design a little as far as aesthetics go to make it a bit different.

Here are the results of my work, coming to a total of £1.50 :eek: I'm very happy with the results:twothumbs.

Also after testing the momentary switch works perfectly!

6xjs.jpg

w61r.jpg

935s.jpg

Last edited:

paddyred

Newly Enlightened
So I made V2.0 of the clip today using a cheap spring steel 12" ruler from my local hardware shop for £1.50 (Enough to make 4 clips). Also my Logan has finally arrived too! The old brass clip looked ok but not great and the distance from the hole to the bend was too much too. In the end i spent an hour using a hacksaw and a file to make what you see below. Fits well and retains on clothing well, also it allows for very deep pocket carry (Something which a lot of lights are missing now). I changed my design a little as far as aesthetics go to make it a bit different.

Here are the results of my work, coming to a total of £1.50 :eek: I'm very happy with the results:twothumbs.

6xjs.jpg

w61r.jpg

935s.jpg

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
paddyred, That looks beautiful! I guess "pretty" is a relative term. When you were soliciting ideas for something "pretty" and using terms like "pocket jewelry", it made me think in terms of scroll work engraving on firearms. That is really what led me to throw out the flatware photograph. Also, I've had some experience peening copper and other metals into a design mold which can yield designs like on the flatware. Nevertheless, what you've come up with is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing.

paddyred

Newly Enlightened
Thank you! your comments mean a lot! All I used was a vice, a file (both standard flat and round key file), a 9.5mm drill for the mounting hole and a 2mm and 4mm drill for the design.

I used double sided tape and taped my design (the 1:1 scale helped) onto the cheap ruler, then cut off the excess metal with a hacksaw and filed back to the lines and used a right-edge to check everything is squared off. I then used a center-pop to mark the holes for the drilling and drilled out the holes starting small with a pilot hole and expanding.
After it was filed to size and drilled, I used a belt sander (it can be done by hand) and sanded off the ruler markings and numbers and put a slight radius on the front then removed the burrs from the back.
For the bending I mounted it in the soft jaws (Aluminium sheet bent around the jaws in the vice) then used a block of wood and a hammer to bend the clip into shape getting a nice radius and avoiding breaking the metal! after that its done! just sand it back with fine sandpaper and I used a polishing wheel to get the final shine on it!

Took around an hour to do and makes a nice afternoon project! If you want to make one yourself I posted a linky to my design above and you can use my basic measurements to get the basic shape or copy my design all together:whistle:! Either way, good luck! and any questions just ask!