Long throw handheld for address spotting?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive been making quite a few residential calls as an EMT and in my town, i find it hard to spot residential numbers and small side road street names at night, especially since my town is mostly unlit roads in the woods. Im looking for a "small" cylindrical light that i can use out the window of my car to see signs and numbers at night. I have a SF Z3, but the beam is not tight enough, I do have a vector spotlight, but i dont find that to be a reasonable solution. I need a light that can easily be operated with one hand, and is bright enough with enough throw. Im looking to spend no more that $100 +/- $20 or so. Is the Tigerlight what Im looking for or are there any other alternatives that i should consider?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The TigerLight comes to mind as a very good option although it's heavy and the location of the switch may not be ideal - a TailCap switch will be very fast to locate easily - a useful feature for you I would think?

How about putting a TurboHead on your Z3?
You have two current options - KT2-BK from SureFire or your friendly Dealer.
Or the SRTH from LaggerPro - less weight and a tighter beam using the same N2 lamp as the KT2.

In this application the SRTH appears well suited - light weight, compact, tight beam, using the same "Z3" body and switch you are used to.

Al

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are on the right track, although I would re-consider those handheld, 12 volt 1,000,000 plus lights. Non-rechargables sell for 10-30 bucks, and blow away any flashlight, and are very lightweight (rechargables are another option, of course for more money, but still, 50 bucks or so, gets you an optronics 2 mil CP rechargable light with a GREAT beam, WIDE, BRIGHT and very even.

That said:
UltraStinger,
Stinger HP (for size)
Mag Charger
Tiger Light

Are ones to consider.

You know your needs. If you say a spotlight does not meet your needs, you know better than me.

paulr

Flashaholic
UKE SL6C, about 30 bucks. I'm not sure if you have to twist the bezel (two-hand operation) to turn it on and off. I think it has a switch.

rlhess

Enlightened
The SL6 that uses 6 C cells has a switch. It has about 8500 cd output compared to about 3500 for the P90 LA in the Z3.

If you want to stick with lithiums (and I would in the winter in NJ) for about $50-60, the Streamlight TL-3 offers close to 10,000 cd output. It's a killer for size/weight. It's tailcap isn't really a lockout, but it's recessed and if you back it off a reasonable amount it won't turn on by accident. Comes with spare lamp inside.

Beyond that, you could get 15,000cd out of the SRTH Turbohead which I THINK fits on a Z3--it fits on a 9P. That's the same output as the Ultrastinger.

The Vector "Banana" CO137 12V spotlight is 100,000cd.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't make mention of any great distances. I would think that the UltraStinger, Stinger HP, MagCharger and, Tigerlight. Though the Tigerlight will run you more than the criteria you laid out. For lithium I would go with the TL-3 Xenon or any 3 cell lithium Surefire with a turbohead mounted to it.

Another gem would be this http://www.vectormfg.com/site2/vectormfg/product_info.php?products_id=313 but it would probaby be overkill for what you would need it for. I was just thinking of the ease of use because of the shape of the light. It does state the 5 hour run time.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello MTFD17,

I am a TigerLight fan...

I have not tried checking addresses with the TigerLight. I do know it will light up the whole front of the house. I suppose if you put a pair of sunglasses on you could make out the address number... or perhaps you could just angle the light a little.

Tom

paulr

Flashaholic
Re lithiums, if the light is being used inside a car, the car is likely to be heated so the temperature isn't freezing. Otherwise, rechargeables probably aren't a great idea either.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
MTFD17,

Hi I'm a UK Paramedic and I have experienced the same problems as you. I do second what BuddTX has said about using hand held spot lights, cheap, very powerful and can run off the vehicles electrics. However if you need a conventional handheld flashlight for most of the year may I suggest that you consider a very cheap Maglite modification? Get a 2C size Mag and place a small piece of plastic tube in the light so that you reduce the internal bore to accept 3 x CR123 lithium cells. The bulb needs to have a 9volt lamp (Maglight or other branded PR flanged varieties). The advantage of this combination is the cheap purchase price of the Maglite. The conversion is simple (do a search on CPF to see how many others who have done this)and the light output will be more than plenty for your needs. The real benefits are lightweight, easily replaced if lost and of course the fact that it uses lithiums means it should stand up to very cold weather uses. Oh and if used infrequently the lithiums should last a long time.

I hope you will give the above a thought? It really will surprise you how good it is. The throw will be more than plenty for your needs.

Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking about the 2C mag mods, but i was worried about reliability. Is the output of the mag 2C mod w/ 5 or 6 cell bulb anywhere near that of a TL? How's the reliability of running a 5 cell bulb on 9v? Im sure the 6cell 9v bulb would do fine. Any links on where I could find those better lenses for the Mag? Im thinking of the ones that smooth the beam out and let more light through. Thanks for all the help thus far!

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
DrJ,
That vector looks pretty tempting. Is there any problems running a rechargable light while plugged in to the 12v charger?

rlhess

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Dukester said:
Another gem would be this http://www.vectormfg.com/site2/vectormfg/product_info.php?products_id=313 but it would probaby be overkill for what you would need it for. I was just thinking of the ease of use because of the shape of the light. It does state the 5 hour run time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the 5 hour run time is for the CCFL area light as the spotlight still appears to be a "powerful quartz halogen bulb"

I still think the TL-3 is a good bargain. Much smaller than the converted Mag Light.

And in NJ if you leave the flashlight in the car you'll want lithiums in the winter (and possibly the summer, too). In California, I need the lithiums for the summer.

Cheers,

Richard

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DrJ said:
Well I just found these today by following a link above...I think I'm gonna buy a few to keep around...it's hard for a normal flashlight to out throw an H3 55W bulb....

http://www.vectormfg.com/site2/vectormfg/product_info.php?products_id=66

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true! While handheld torches whether lithium or rechargeable have there place so do Spotlights. Spotlights are inexpensive enough you could buy a real nice one and just have it always charged up incase you do find you need the extra light. They are great for search & rescue missions for four legged beast, I own four of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The most expensive rechargeable flashlight e.g. 10x SF will never out throw a low end spotlight!

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
rlhess said:
[ QUOTE ]
Dukester said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the 5 hour run time is for the CCFL area light as the spotlight still appears to be a "powerful quartz halogen bulb"

I still think the TL-3 is a good bargain. Much smaller than the converted Mag Light.

And in NJ if you leave the flashlight in the car you'll want lithiums in the winter (and possibly the summer, too). In California, I need the lithiums for the summer.

Cheers,

Richard

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep Richard, you are correct. I think the runtime is 30 minutes for the quartz? I misread the advertisement for it on the Vector Website.

rlhess

Enlightened
Maybe 30 minutes...I think they may have WANTED you to mis-read it <smile>.

I find spotlights annoying. I like my TL3. I have one each incandescent and LED in the little CD storage bin in my Suburban. I can grab either, though I usually reach for the LED. The incandescent does the trick for spotting house numbers, although some areas of the country you might need a Vector. I keep the "banana" in a case in the back and rarely use it. I almost sold it, but decided to hang onto it. It's one of those just-in-case lights--I hope the battery is charged and not over-charged and failing the time I need it just-in-case. The lithiums are small and light and I can carry lots of spares.

Cheers,

Richard

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
MTFD17,

I have to agree with Size15s regarding the KT2 or SRTH, they work great with the Z3 you already own. Changes the nature of the beast completely; you will have a 'new' flashlight with its addition.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
As tempting as the turbo heads are, the price is really a big deterent... Id rather buy a long throwing light for the price of a turbo head, then Id have both...

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
MTFD17, well, I agree with you. Brightguy has the SL TL-3 Xenon for $ 59.95. I have one, and if you can't read street numbers with this light, the numbers are simply too small.

Spare bulb inside the light, so you don't have to mortage the house if the bulb blows. Nice spring clip, great light for the money.

I just decided to order another one.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MTFD17 said:
Ive been making quite a few residential calls as an EMT and in my town, i find it hard to spot residential numbers and small side road street names at night, especially since my town is mostly unlit roads in the woods. Im looking for a "small" cylindrical light that i can use out the window of my car to see signs and numbers at night. I have a SF Z3, but the beam is not tight enough, I do have a vector spotlight, but i dont find that to be a reasonable solution. I need a light that can easily be operated with one hand, and is bright enough with enough throw. Im looking to spend no more that $100 +/- $20 or so. Is the Tigerlight what Im looking for or are there any other alternatives that i should consider?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mention what kind of distances you are talking about maybe we could help you out a bit better???