Maglite 4D Xenon LED upgrade problem

Tino

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, its been a very long time since I've been on so its nice to be back. I've got a few more lights and just today I came across a very basic looking Dorcy LED bulb (40 lumens) for like $4 or something like that. I thought maybe I'd try it for my 4D. I went home and quickly realized I could not install this because the hole in the nut that holds the bulb down is not wide enough. Instead of trying to drill out that hole (because I love my mag and don't want to ruin any parts), is there any other nut I can get from like home depot which may have the same thread pattern? Maybe I can use my grinder to grind that down and modify it to hold down the bulb instead of ruining an original mag part... not sure.

Anyway the point of the upgrade was that I could have a light that lasts a long time for when I go camping again.

Thanks in advance :)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one that's an awfully tight fit in a 2C Mag. I didn't quite have to trim the flange or LED cover on the LED dropin. You will have a tough time getting a good result from grinding down the plastic around the LED. If it's just metal on the bulb, trim that carefully. Otherwise, you're on the right track looking for the threads per inch and diameter of the part.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
where are you located? i have a bunch of magnuts (lol) if you are in usa, i'll send you one, grind it away.

Tino

Newly Enlightened
where are you located? i have a bunch of magnuts (lol) if you are in usa, i'll send you one, grind it away.

LOL thanks :) I'm up in Canada (Toronto) ... but I might have a spare now.I ordered a Terralux 1000LM for my other Mag so I can use its nut on this problem Mag :)