Mag 2C 3x123 with 6 cell bulb more reliable?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's been much talk about the Mag 2C with the 112 bulb, and although it has great throw, it seems to be severly lacking in reliability. Would a better bulb to use be a 6 cell (9v) Mag bulb or maybe even a 5 cell bulb?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
A five cell would be similar to the KPR118. If you've tried that, you know what it looks and runs like. A six cell would be bright simply by virtue of its spec-diven voltage.

Wilkey

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
To add to Wilkey said above.

Try both a 5 cell bulb or a 6 cell bulb from Mag (Magnum Star) they don't cost that much, like $3 each.

Running a 6 cell Mag bulb in the 2C is like having the brightness of a 6 cell light in a smaller package.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the output or throw of the 6 cell or 5 cell driven with 3x123 anywhere close to that of a tigerlight?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'll find they throw a pinpoint farther and tighter that a TL, but with nowhere near the volume of light.

Wilkey

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was quite flabergasted to see the brightness of the 3/123 5 cell bulb. It is awesome for the small mod price.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
MTFD17,

I think the reliability issue is not as much a problem as you might think. Any incandescent bulb (even Surefires) can and may blow prematurely. With the Mag 6D bulb in the 2C conversion the chances of frying the bulb early are very low. IMHO you will be more likely to see an early failure due to dropping the light than to the filament burning out prematurely. Of course the Maglite can still hold a spare bulb in the bottom anyway so you can cover yourself to some extent from failure.

I know I will be flamed for this but even though I own quite a few Surefires I think that I would be loathed to take anything more expensive than a G2 or G2z with me to work. Doing the job we do, I have found acidental loss or damage to be a very real possibility. Yes I know some guys will justify carrying expensive lights as EDC's but then thats there choice. For my money and IMHO you can either spend a lot on a more capable light or use a cheap Mag conversion but if you do loose a Mag you wont miss it nearly so much as a Surefire!

Also do remember that your stated use was simply to find House numbers or names and I can assure you that the Mag conversion will really surprise you!

Doug