Lux-RC FL33 T50 review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux-RC FL33

There are expensive lights that are pretentious, expensive lights that are powerful, but basic tools, and then there are the true luxury items. The Lux-RC FL33 definitely falls into the latter category.

Lux-RC FL33
trans.gif
Meat and Potatoes

Like I said, not all pricy flashlights are created equal. Not by a long shot. Lux-RC has set the bar pretty high however with their FL33 line of lights. One look at their website shows exactly how much pride they take in their product. The FL33 definitely falls into the semi-custom flashlight arena that I have only delved into once before. That experience was an incredible joy, but I think this may have surpassed it.

The current product order page at Lux-RC.com is simply a flashlight builder. What options do you want in your torch? There are plenty to choose from. From battery types to LED color temperatures, lens focus to indicator color, the total number of combinations is staggering. You can even choose what semi-precious gemstone you would like to use as your power button! I have actually found myself just toying around with the builder to see what kind of cool light I can make that day.

After the sale as well Lux-RC continues to brag about their product by maintaining a database where you can look up your torch by individualized serial number and see all the details about that particular light including build date firmware version and more. This was particularly interesting to me since my review sample was left entirely up to the discretion of Serge, the proprietor. Of course, this same information was included in the documentation, but it's quite a service to make this available and online, especially for those who might not happen to be the original owner.

Lux-RC FL33

The light itself definitely lives up to its hype. This is quite simply one of the most polished lights I've ever seen, both metaphorically and literally. The exterior of the light, instead of being simply anodized aluminum like virtually the rest of the field of flashlight options, is coated with a black Titanium Nitride ceramic coating. This treatment leaves a beautiful exterior that completely sets it apart visually from every other flashlight I've tested. Of course, this is helped along by body styling that doesn't simply rehash the "tube with some interesting marks" concept so often regurgitated by other manufacturers. Bold, deep heat sink fins ring the light directly behind the head allowing for incredible heat dissipation, and the curvaceous body leaves the impression of some advanced alien technology discovered somewhere offworld. Build quality is exquisite. Sharp edges are nowhere to be found. Threading is smooth and uniform. This light is a joy to carry.

Looking down the barrel of this torch, you begin to see some of the magnificent electronics that compliment the exquisite body design. Skipping traditional reflectors, Lux-RC has stationed a trifecta of LEDs behind tiny collimator lenses. These prove quite nicely why I prefer lensing to reflectors. The beam emitted from my trio of 5000k XP-G2 LEDs is one of the smoothest and creamiest floody lights I've yet come across. The closest I've seen is the multi-LED high output monsters by Lupine, that just so happen to use a somewhat similar lens system. Any ringy artifacts that might be present in a single LED are completely cancelled out by having several in such close proximity.

Triple XP-G2

At it's simplest, this FL33 is a 2 mode light. Click the electronic switch once and it ramps up immediately to full power, 2A per LED. This is an incredible amount of light out of such a small torch. From off you can press and hold the button for a few seconds to get instant access to low mode. Incidentally, this super low is the only point where I can detect any sort of PWM with this light, and even then it is so fast I can't see it unless I'm specifically looking for it. When the light is on High, pressing and holding the button for several seconds will allow you to select a custom user preferred medium mode. This can be incredibly useful for those times when low doesn't quite give you enough light, but High will kill the meager battery life quicker than you would like. Beyond that, you have access to a number of signalling options and even a "tactical" option where the light turns on at 100% without ramping only as long as you hold the button. What use this light is as in a true tactical setup is somewhat questionable with such a small button on the side of the light, but it's still an interesting option to be presented with. These extra modes are tucked out of the way enough that I have to consult the manual, or at least the included quick-start guide anytime I want to access them.

Beyond the basic features, there is still a lot going on under the hood of this work of art. Behind the window, intermixed with the main beam LEDs is a secondary red LED that flashes intermittently, just bright enough to make an excellent locator beacon to help you find your light in the dark. Surrounding the multipurpose power button is an LED ring that functions as a battery indicator, pulsing green, amber, or red when you shut the light off depending on the state of your cell. By special order you can have the head filled with dry nitrogen, in order to prevent lens fogging at low temperatures, and there is active thermal protection to prevent damage to your LEDs. My review model is the T50 which runs on a single 18500 cell, but the 3.0-9.9V FL33 is available using anything from a single CR123A/16340 to a pair of 18650 cells. It is simply that versatile.

Constructive Criticism

Honestly, after carrying this torch for quite some time, I have really only found a couple of small points of contention with it. The Lux-RC FL33 has a definitive inductor whine that is present in varying pitches through almost all outputs. Thankfully, at my favorite full power the whine is either so high pitched that it has reached levels beyond my acute hearing, or it is actually not present at all. The remainder of the time it is relatively quiet, except when you are actively setting the user preset mode. That being said, I sure would be a lot happier not having to deal with this at all, especially in a light of this caliber.

Lux-RC FL33

The user interface is, well, not my favorite. It is useable, especially as a 2 mode torch, but once you add in that user preset, it feels a lot like the interface found on Lupine's monster lights (about which I have also routinely complained). I suppose that designing a variable user interface that only has a single button as the sole method of control is no mean feat. Quite honestly I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge of improving upon it. I'll have to give it some more direct thought. All I know is it seems to be a little cumbersome.

Conclusions

I love this light. Period. I don't know what it really is about it, but I really enjoy using it. At work, around the house, camping. It has quickly become one of my absolute favorite lights, and will likely be on my short list of EDC items for some time to come. It's not an absolutely perfect experience, but the overall light is just so darn nice that I am willing to overlook its few shortcomings.

One rather important point I should note. My review sample is classified as a V2.5. It mostly comprises of the V2.0 hardware, but there are just a couple features of the new V3.0 that snuck in for the ride. Any new orders however will have the full advancements of version 3; things like a 4th customizable LED in the head that is used for low modes, a new light engine with full programmability by the user including motion sensor, light sensor, full constant current regulation, TiCN coated Stainless steel parts for better durability etc.

Lux-RC FL33

Provided for review by the kind folks at Lux-RC.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't finished reading your review yet, but it looks like a great job so far. I'm glad to finally see someone talk about my dream EDC. Still struggling to put enough money aside to get my own.

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a very nice review. :) It makes me all the more anxious to get my 2x18650 v3 light that I have on order. ;)

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened
I've lusted for these lights for months now. They're out of my price range but still - you've got to have something on your dream list, right? ;)
Great review. If you can, would you post a shot of the light in your hand?

- Tim

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have chalked up much more than enough in my PayPal after selling away most of my lights that are hoarding in the house and this looks like something I could use the cash on, but I am having reservations on its toughness, especially considering how thin the "neck" is. How tough and reliable can this be to withstand all the rigors and drops?

stienke

Enlightened
I have chalked up much more than enough in my PayPal after selling away most of my lights that are hoarding in the house and this looks like something I could use the cash on, but I am having reservations on its toughness, especially considering how thin the "neck" is. How tough and reliable can this be to withstand all the rigors and drops?

You can order one with the underwater head , they look massive and I prefer the looks over the 'standard' head.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is my favorite custom light. i love the design. the longer ones look like a modern light saber to me.

did you get to keep it? or have to return it. i just want to play with one to get it out of the system haha.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can order one with the underwater head , they look massive and I prefer the looks over the 'standard' head.
I think the heat sinking would be pretty bad with the underwater head. If its going to be used underwater then it should not be a problem.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a drop test video of last years version:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! The drop test video is showing a very impressive performer! Honestly I wasn't expecting any lights to survive the 40 meters drop since the impact would be too great at the velocity that it is traveling down. Pretty convincing video I would say, and you are crazy to do that to the light.

Last edited:

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Let me reassure you that once you hold one in your hand, you'll feel different. This is 'the' one light that make me want to sell off most of my collection because it has everything I need in a light and IMO make most of the other lights seem outdated. I ordered a second one within 48 hours of getting my first one, and it is my most EDC'ED light at the moment.

With it's high output especially running on 2 cells, I will advise ordering one of the finned head as it will cool down the light considerably.

Let me know if you wanna one feel one in your hand before deciding. I'm away on a photography trip now and should be back in a few days.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me reassure you that once you hold one in your hand, you'll feel different. This is 'the' one light that make me want to sell off most of my collection because it has everything I need in a light and IMO make most of the other lights seem outdated. I ordered a second one within 48 hours of getting my first one, and it is my most EDC'ED light at the moment.

With it's high output especially running on 2 cells, I will advise ordering one of the finned head as it will cool down the light considerably.

Let me know if you wanna one feel one in your hand before deciding. I'm away on a photography trip now and should be back in a few days.

Yeah that would be real cool! I was looking at the website and could not decide how I would like to customize it. Maybe we could meet up and I can take a look at it. Thanks for the offer! :)

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah that would be real cool! I was looking at the website and could not decide how I would like to customize it. Maybe we could meet up and I can take a look at it. Thanks for the offer! :)

No worries Andy...will PM you my number when i head back home this weekend.

btw. If you were to order a new one now, you should be getting the latest V3 light engine. The old V2 light engine are limited to 3amp input currently he but the new V3 engine should not have this limitation, although it will consume twice as much and drain the battery twice faster.

Using a special tool, user can easily create program or download any UI they desire (no limitation), so it's fully user programmable. Another unique feature of this new light engine is that user may also incorporates motion sensing into the light's UI (eg, when you pick up the light, it automatically turns on in moonlight mode, or when you put down the light, it automatically turns off when left idle for a certain period of time).

V3 engine also comes with a more accurate and programmable temperature control so it's even more safe running at high current

btw. Both version of heads are waterproof up to 100M

Yes I love this light :D

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not so sure if I like to program in motion sensor control. Wouldn't it be turning on in my holster should I be jumping around. I am not too sure about getting this yet. I am thinking of getting either another McGizmo or Surefire E2DL Ultra but I reserve my decision till I have seen your light.

riccardo

Enlightened
Where are they based?
I can't find any info about them, the website is less then minimal...

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened

Which LED and optics did you choose?

- Tim