HDS Systems        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-Review

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-Rev

Quote Originally Posted by peterharvey73 View Post
    I own: Sunwayman V10R XP-G R5, V10R Ti XP-G R5, V10R XM-L T6, RRT-01 XM-L T6 SMO, and RRT-01 XM-L U2 HOP.

Because of the tail end clicky, the V10R's required a more aggressive higher above the waistline overhand grip with four fingers over the top.

Furthermore, once the V10R is switched on, I could still use the V10R one handed, but I would have to flip the V10R 180 degrees to activate the magnetic control ring.

Pity the V10R couldn't use a more ergonomic tail end switch with a combined tail end rotary like the HDS EDC Rotary flashlight - then we wouldn't have to constantly flip the V10R 180 degrees.

In any case, for me - the overhand grip with four fingers over the top is too aggressive, and the reflector too deep, with a less practical narrow spill.
    The V10R's have all been gifted away.

The RRT-01 XM-L U2 HOP is presently my favorite EDC with a nice lazy below the waist line underhand handshake grip, and a shallower reflector for a wide spill beam, and that overdriving using the IMR chemistry with 18350 capacity is great too...
    How big are your hands? I can manipulate the V11R in any fashion with just one hand without the need to flip it 180*.

Default Re: Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-Rev

Thanks for the comparison Selfbuilt! I have both lights and agree that they are very closely matched. What I most like about the RRT01 is that is doesn't have a switch that has to be turned on first. Some may prefer the V11R because it has a switch. However, I most appreciate the ability to immediately illuminate beginning at the lowest level and ramping to an appropriate level depending on the situation. And it can all be done wihout a clicky switch or the sound of a clicky switch. With the V11R there is always the chance that the selector ring is set for an output that is higher than desired which instantly comes on at that level when the switch is engaged. Lighting up the bedroom with a higher than desired level, even for an instant, can draw fire from my slumbering spouse, as can the sound of a switch, which is preferable to avoid. I also like the fact that I can use an 18350 in the RRT01, but that doesn't tip the scales for me like the preferred lack of a switch. The foregoing notwithstanding, I do like the V11R and I use it on occasion. Aesthetically, I think the V11R is much more appealing. Nevertheless, the RRT01 is my favorite of the two, and my favorite light over all others.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lighteous View Post
    With the V11R there is always the chance that the selector ring is set for an output that is higher than desired which instantly comes on at that level when the switch is engaged. Lighting up the bedroom with a higher than desired level, even for an instant, can draw fire from my slumbering spouse, as can the sound of a switch, which is preferable to avoid.
    Which is why I return the ring to the lowest output once I'm done using it. And with a momentary on feature, there is no need to click. Different strokes for different folks!

Quote Originally Posted by MBentz View Post
    Which is why I return the ring to the lowest output once I'm done using it. And with a momentary on feature, there is no need to click. Different strokes for different folks!
    Oh, I know there is a method to avoid it, but the possiblity exists in the V11R and not the RRT01. I don't trust my memory to always dial it back to the the lowest setting. Don't misunderstand me, it's a fine light and I'm not giving it up. I have an irrational love for single cell CR123 lights and both of these are great ones. I just received a Nitecore SRT3 Defender with somewhat similar clicky switch / adjustment ring UI like the V11R and it's a great light. But I still prefer the RRT01 for EDC'ing.

How big are your hands? I can manipulate the V11R in any fashion with just one hand without the need to flip it 180*.
    My hands are average sized for 5'11". Still, we must grip the V10/11R by the looser pen/cigar hold to activate the tail end clicky, then we can rotate the V10/11R 90 degrees to activate the control ring. The RRT-01 has the advantage in this respect, because the RRT-01 is just a simple handshake grip the whole way...
    Last edited by peterharvey73; 08-08-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Too much work having to turn the V10/11R's magnetic ring down, prior to switching it off at the tail end clicky; I doubt that most people would use their flashlights like this. What you're trying to do here is trying to make the V10/11R do all things for everyone. You probably don't own both the V10/11R and the RRT-01 to give a neutral and unbiased view?
    Last edited by peterharvey73; 08-08-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Default Re: Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-Revi

It's horses for courses. The truth is that these two lights each have their own strengths and weaknesses. The V10/11R has a tail end clicky that is great for zero-amperage off [without having to loosen the head by 1/4 turn to disconnect the electrical current], it also has momentary activation, presetting the brightness level prior to activation, a choice of either a secure tactical overhand grip with four fingers over the top, or a loose pen/cigar hold, and the overhand/pen/cigar grip holds the flashlight higher above the waistline to maximise the throw. The RRT-01's have a superior casual lazy below the waistline handshake grip, no rotation or flipping of the flashlight is required to activate the control ring, it has a super low mode for use just out of bed at 3 am in the morning, it has continuous ramping from zero to maximum, and it has a wider spill beam for greater practicality, yet the RRT-01 still throws further because it is driven harder. The micro-amperage standby on the RRT-01 can be totally shut out by 1/4 turn loosening the head in storage. Interestingly, because the reflector is deeper, the V10R's spill beam is narrower, but that volume of light is compensated by a wider or more prominent corona encircling the hotspot. I also find that my three V10R's have a cooler tint than the equivalent RRT-1 XP-G R5 LOP, RRT-1 XM-L T6 SMO and RRT-01's in both XM-L T6 SMO and XM-L2 T6 HOP, which all have a more neutral tint in comparison...
    Last edited by peterharvey73; 08-08-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Flashaholic

Default Re: Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-Revi

I'm 6'7" and never figured out how to turn it on and adjust the ring without some major hand work. The clicky was a major selling point until I realized it was basically a two-hander. I've got an RRT01 coming tomorrow, I'm hopeful, but it can't replace my S-10 because of the Olight's reversible clip and the ability to run on high and not get too hot. The green tint I could do without though...

My web browser is playing up. If you want: all-black finish with no contrasting stainless steel trim in sight, secure tactical overhand grip or pen/cigar hold, high above the waistline grip to maximize throw, zero amperage standby, no need to disengage head by 1/4 turn to terminate current, a non-wobbly but stiff/viscous magnetic control ring, preselection of brightness level prior to activation of tail end clicky, momentary on, narrower spill, larger and more prominent corona, cooler tint, a true tail stand because the lanyard is attached to the "side" of the tail [rather than a wobbly tail stand because the lanyard is attached to the center end of the tail], and the option of an AA extender for a longer size and slightly larger capacity Lion 14500 battery - then get the Sunwayman V10/V11R's...
    Last edited by peterharvey73; 08-08-2013 at 02:06 PM.

If you want: stainless steel bezel and ss key/lanyard hole trim to contrast with the dark grey aluminium annodizing, to disengage the head by 1/4 turn in storage to kill the micro-amperage standby, a lazy handshake grip below the waistline, simple one-handed operation without having to rotate or flip the light, a lighter/less viscous but fractionally wobblier control ring, continuous ramping from zero to max brightness, a super low low for use just out of bed at 2am, a wider more practical spill, yet superior throw by virtue of being driven harder on a bigger 18350 IMR-chemistry battery, a more neutral tint, a better screwed on pocket clip [rather than an unreliable clip-on pocket clip], and the option of using a larger diameter 18350 battery for a slightly/fractionally larger capacity 18350 IMR-chemistry battery - then get the RRT-01 XM-L2 T6 HOP...
    Last edited by peterharvey73; 08-08-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Flashaholic

Well summarized Mr. Harvey. I got my slightly used RRT01 today and couldn't be happier with it! The ring is much less wobbly than I had anticipated, without as much 'no light' space on the first part of the control ring travel as Selfbuilt's. I bought an AW IMR 18350 for it, it seemed to have trouble with my Solarforce 880mAh 16340s...not enough button top sticking out I think. Gotta love having control of on/off and variable intensity in one control!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by tallboybass View Post
    I'm 6'7" and never figured out how to turn it on and adjust the ring without some major hand work. The clicky was a major selling point until I realized it was basically a two-hander. I've got an RRT01 coming tomorrow, I'm hopeful, but it can't replace my S-10 because of the Olight's reversible clip and the ability to run on high and not get too hot. The green tint I could do without though...
    While in the under the waist line hand shake hold, or whatever the hell it's called, I can turn the light on and off with my pinky finger. I do concede most people wont find that comfortable or even doable though. I hope you enjoy your new EDC. My little V11R goes everywhere with me... even to buy new SureFires.

Flashaholic

You, sir, have strong hands! I tried that with some of my other lights and could barely pull it off on some of them. I can't remember how easily the clicky works on the V11R, but it must not be a very long-travel type switch. Thanks, I am enjoying the RRT01 so far, the only thing I miss from the V11R is the slightly cooler tint and maybe the 'all-business' look, but the JB has its own 'dressed-up' look going on.

I love the RRT 01 and have the newer xm l2 version. I do find that I have to keep it in lock out w a quarter twist while in my pocket or it will turn on. Are other people experiencing this problem?

I have both the XM-L SMO and XM-L2 HOP versions, and the standby detent is too stiff - neither have ever accidentally switched on in my pockets. However, if you really want to kill that 50 micro-amp standby current that would last for years, then by all means, unwind the head by 1/4 turn to lock it out. Incidentally, I can't really tell the difference in brightness between the XM-L SMO and the new XM-L2 HOP versions. The HOP has a cleaner beam, but that's about it; I can't tell the extra 100 lumens in brightness. They look the same to me. It seems that the HOP may have killed off the extra 100 lumens? The new version does have a shorter pocket clip. However the new version has a slightly stiffer detent on standby, and a slightly more viscous ring. The old XM-L SMO has a slight army green tint to its anodizing, while the new XM-L2 HOP with cheaper packaging has a dark grey tint to its anodizing...
    Last edited by peterharvey73; 08-11-2013 at 03:56 PM.

I have both the XM-L SMO and XM-L2 HOP versions, and the standby detent is too stiff - neither have ever accidentally switched on in my pockets. However, if you really want to kill that 50 micro-amp standby current that would last for years, then by all means, unwind the head by 1/4 turn to lock it out. Incidentally, I can't really tell the difference in brightness between the XM-L SMO and the new XM-L2 HOP versions. The HOP has a cleaner beam, but that's about it; I can't tell the extra 100 lumens in brightness. They look the same to me. It seems that the HOP may have killed off the extra 100 lumens? The new version does have a shorter pocket clip. However the new version has a slightly stiffer detent on standby, and a slightly more viscous ring. The old XM-L SMO has a slight army green tint to its anodizing, while the new XM-L2 HOP with cheaper packaging has a dark grey tint to its anodizing...
    Interesting about the detent for standby, my detent isn't very stiff at all. I wish it were because the light is rather fantastic besides that.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by noboneshotdog View Post
    Interesting about the detent for standby, my detent isn't very stiff at all. I wish it were because the light is rather fantastic besides that.
    I would call mine "just right"...haven't had it turn on by itself but easy to turn when you need light.

Seems like the RRT01 isn't as efficient as the Olight S10 with the battery...I accidentally ran my 18350 down, maybe too far, with use that wouldn't have affected the S10. Hope she don't blow!
    Last edited by tallboybass; 08-12-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Yes, unfortunately the infinite control of brightness circuitry of the RRT-01 and V11R is not as run time efficient as the Olight S10 which only has 4 discrete steps in brightness.

If the IMR-chemistry 18350 is overdischarged, it may not charge up again? Is it still charging up again???

Flashaholic

Yes, unfortunately the infinite control of brightness circuitry of the RRT-01 and V11R is not as run time efficient as the Olight S10 which only has 4 discrete steps in brightness.

If the IMR-chemistry 18350 is overdischarged, it may not charge up again? Is it still charging up again???
    It charged ok, but I ran it down to around 2 volts, need to be more careful from here on!

In the video, the retail boxes of the Sunwayman lights have stickers with Fasttech SKU's on them.

Does it mean that you ordered them from Fasttech Hongkong?

Am curious why you would do that for the video review. Your old review sample would have been equally good.

Or did the magnetic control ring loosen up on the old V11R?

Quote Originally Posted by shelm View Post
    Your old review sample would have been equally good.
    My original V11R still works fine. But since I was examining a recent RRT-01, I thought I would get a concurrently shipping V11R (in case, output bins had changed, etc.).
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

thanks, i am also interested in updated output bins, so i asked around.

Fasttech does not carry the v11r xm-l2 u3 (updated output bin!! with hopefully improved tint) but some other Chinese sellers do (HKE, Banggood, ..). With Black Friday coming or the pre-Xmas discounts, i'll try to grab one of the updated v11r's.

Can you tell us anything about the magnetic control ring of your original copy? Is it still as rigid, or has it loosened? Some v11r owners report about loosening rings, so maybe this had happened with your review sample too. One reason more to have gone shopping at FT lol

Default Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-...

RRT0 is head and shoulders above v11. Not even close. The RRT0 fits 18350!

Default Re: Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-...

Nah. I dispute that. I like the V11R for the clicky and also how it comes apart for modding etc. It's also a tiny touch slimmer. The RRT01 is better in that it has 18350 capability and the ultra low-lows.

Default Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-...

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    Nah. I dispute that. I like the V11R for the clicky and also how it comes apart for modding etc. It's also a tiny touch slimmer. The RRT01 is better in that it has 18350 capability and the ultra low-lows.
    RRT0 has-
    More tactile and smother control ring
    Better clip
    Better form factor
    Better knurling
    Better sealing and o-rings
    The name "sunwayman" is lame

Default Re: Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-...

Wow, you really want to debate what is better? I prefer the V11R, not saying it's better, just saying I prefer it. If you want to debate:

RRT0 has-

More tactile and smother control ring: Depends on lube. I've heard lots of people complaining about loose control rings with tons of play (feels cheap). The V11R is easier to relube once opened. An RRT01 requires you to remove the LED/Circuit to relube.

Better clip: The older long clip rubs the head and almost interferes with the control ring. The shorter new one barely holds anything. The V11R one is a bit lame because it is a clip on one that can rotate, but it's quite secure and does not rub the head.

Better form factor: It's shorter and a touch fatter. The control ring can be hard to access because it's in the middle of the body. How is this better?

Better knurling: Really? I don't think this is true. About the same.

Better sealing and O-rings: So, what makes you think this is true? Did you test it?

The name "sunwayman" is lame: Yep, no argument here.

Basically I think these arguments are kinda not relevant or not true. In any case, I am not saying the V11R is "better". I just like it a bit better. The RRT01 is great too.
    Last edited by gunga; 11-26-2013 at 11:35 AM.

That's a very well-thought, cohesive and articulate retort. It's nice to see the witty repartee that CPF is known for. Thank you gunga. You are right, there is no "better" rather, only personal preference. It's like choosing a wallet.

No worries. Yes, there are a lot of reasons to like and dislike a light. Jetbeam is a much cooler name.

Quote Originally Posted by shelm View Post
    Can you tell us anything about the magnetic control ring of your original copy? Is it still as rigid, or has it loosened? Some v11r owners report about loosening rings, so maybe this had happened with your review sample too.
    My stock V11R may have loosened up a bit with time, it's hard to say (it was a bit looser than the newer sample I bought, but that could just be inter-sample variability).

I have EDCed the original V11R extensively, and it has performed reliably. One issue I did come across more recently was a slightly "sticky" control ring (i.e., would stop suddenly, and needed a fair amount of force to get over the "hump"). I suspect this is due to build up of debris over time, due to the regular carry. A few shots of compressed air and some teflon lube seemed to have solved this problem (although this lube has definitely contributed to loosening the ring feel a bit).

It is worth re-iterating though my RRT-01 sample had a looser control ring in stock form, right out of the box. There is obviously some variability here.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Thanks selfbuilt for the helpful answer, appreciated as always!

I will definitely look into acquiring the v11r now. It has been emitter-updated, and maybe they also improved the physics of the magnetic control ring rotary action. I wouldn't know where to find a clear tutorial or video which demos the maintenance and relubing (silicon grease!! is nice sticky) of the gradually loosening ring.

Well well or i simply don't use the light. All of us have a collection of lights and only few models get regular use

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast