Runtime question

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a LD12. After I found out it can be lego with Quark 2AA body with Quark tailcap. I legoed them together. The brightness seems the same, does that mean the runtime increased? Thanks in advance.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx buddy.

That's perfect! I think the brightness is good enough for most of my tasks. Any chance the runtime will be close to double?

It depends on which chemistry you use and how the LD12 head responds to voltage change with cell discharge. Roughly speaking with NiMHs, you'd get a bit over double. With alkaleaks, it will not be quite doubled. With Energizer Lithiums, it will not quite be doubled, either.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another question regarding runtime for the same LD-12 mentioned in my original post. The brightness is the same regardless of using 1AA, 2AA, or 1 CR123. Which gives better runtime?

2 AA eneloop
1 Surefire CR123 (expire: 2022)

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2 Eneloops.

In series, add voltage and mah stays the same. So V for 2xNiMh ~ = 1xCR123, and mah would be 2xNiMh ~ 2000 (2500 for XXX), 1xCR123 ~ 1500. One other alternative you have, is the 1xCRAA/14505 cell, which is essentially a CR123 equivalent in a AA body - unfortunately, it's been out of stock for sometime now (although I have small stock of them). Keeping the 1xAA body (and carrying the 2nd cell) would give you a lot more options, like scavenging AAAs and 9V cells - which for me = emergency runtime.

Since you seemed very concerned with emergency runtime (as I am - we've discussed the D40A in PMs), I'd just go back and use that LD12 body with Quark head if I were you... between its ultra-efficient AND bright useable moonlight mode, broad voltage support and Lego-able bodies, and ability to scavenge any cell with <19mm diameter, it's the ultimate emergency light for me. I know Fenix claims ~ 300 lumen-hours of efficiency across all its modes, but I read SB's tests, and adjusting for battery and lumen scale difference, the LD12 doesn't seem significantly more efficient than a Quark to me.

Ueno Otoko

Newly Enlightened
When using 2 AA batteries, the boost circuit will be more efficient, since the input voltage(~2.4v, NiMH) is closer to LED Vf(~3.2v) compared with 1AA(~1.2v, NiMH).
This is true for most regulated-output boost circuit. LD12's shouldn't be different.

So theoretically, Runtime(2AA) > Runtime(1AA) + Runtime(1AA)

Also, input current could be reduced, thus improving reliability.

Last edited:

Latest posts