KL5 on 9-volts

rookie

Enlightened
From previous discussions and posts, the anuswer is NO. Like the KL4, you do so at your own rish and may fried the circuits.....

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ray,

Sorry, nothing personal and I really don't know if it's *safe*. The issue has been addressed many times but like everything here these days, the information just rolls off the radar and into the bottomless archives. The circuit is a boost only circuit so 3x123 puts the system in a Vin > Vf LED, direct drive status.

Darell

Flashaholic
If you'd like Darell's vote (I've managed to fool around with a large range of Vin's on these, and I lived to tell about it) - that vote would be NO. One worry is the directly-driven emitter (which Mr. Bulk would laugh at, of course) and the other concern is the circuit being driven in an un-supported fashion.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:

One worry is the directly-driven emitter (which Mr. Bulk would laugh at, of course) and the other concern is the circuit being driven in an un-supported fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif
...........DD LED?

Seriously, the LED could be damaged from DD, but it's not likely if the circuit goes DD immediately. If for some reason it doesn't react to the higher voltage quick enough, there could be a spike of current to the LED each time the power is applied to the circuit, thus reducing the life of the LED and quite possibly killing it. (I did this myself recently with a McLux PR head and an LxIII /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

As for the circuit? I would tend to agree that it most likely would cause some sort of damage after any extended/repeated use. The in-rush of current could quite possibly trash it.

kj

Enlightened
A SureFure support representative told me "The KL5 is the recommended application for the C3". So I took a runtime measurement of my L5 head with 3x123. You can find the runtime chart in my L5 page.

Yeah, it worked. But I personally don't recommend this usage according to the result... Is there any chance that the KL5 sold solely as the head is different from the L5 head? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif