Streamlight Micro stream running 10440

jzmb

Newly Enlightened
Hi I just bought a Streamlight micro stream and I was reading some people are running 10440 in them for greater performance. Which battery brand of 10440 would you guys recommend for the Microstream? thanks. Also about how long will it run on the 10440?

HIDblue

Enlightened
I've been using the AW 10440 in my micro stream for the past few months with no ill effects, but I only use it sparingly on high before it gets too hot. Great boost in output but just be careful with it.

You can find the AW batteries in the cpf marketplace and at some cpf dealers here in the US.

argleargle

Enlightened
I currently have two SL MS: One is the fairly older model (lower output with stock AAA) and wouldn't even power on with the lion. The newer MS was both brighter with stock AAA and powered on with the lion. I'm positive that the LED has been upgraded a couple of times as far as this series of light.

With really older SL MS, you can remove the light head and lego with the AAAx1 Maratac (unless that has changed.) The next two gens of the SL MS I'm aware of had a fixed head. (At least, *I* can't seem to remove it.) The first gen of fixed head won't even power on with an AAA-sized lion. Anyone who knows better, please post. Alas, my oldest SL MS with removable head has been passed on. If I knew the later series would be fixed head, I'd have never gotten rid of it.

I EDC my lion-powered MS. It never came to me to test it in throw with some larger lights until last night. I went out to my "thrower tree" and compared it with a few other compacts (lion/AAx1, cr123x1, RCR123x1, 18650x1 compact only) and was really amused. I was fairly surprised that it actually held it's own with the hot lithium in it, though it wasn't the brightest. I wouldn't expect a $20 light to beat an $80 18650x1 light.

You can't really beat the price for the SL MS AAAx1 micro-thrower. It's a great compact light and even better with the hot cells, but I agree with HIDblue... I only burst it and would not run it for long times. It gets pretty warm. I've been EDC-ing it with lions since November 2012 and it hasn't fried (yet.)

Reminder, I'm talking about the SL MS that is officially AAAx1. I haven't heard a success story yet about running lions in the AAAx2 SL MS. I've heard nobody say yet that it works.

As always, if anyone knows more... please post. I appreciate it.

PS: When I say "lion," I mean the 3.7+V lithium ion rechargable batteries that are in the same format as 1.2V rechargable AAA and 1.5V nominal alkaline (alkaleak) junk batteries. I haven't bought an alkie AAA in years. It's 1.2 V nimh or 3.7+v lions for me now. Duracell is dead to me now, save for the Sanyo tech that they are rebranding. Buy Eneloops for the regular voltage and don't be afraid to pay more for your lithium ions. When you go with the cheapest of the cheap, you get what you pay for. Panasonic USA has a good rep for quality.

Last edited:

BMETFerg

Newly Enlightened
Because of the comments in this thread I purchased a SL MS. I have a SL MSPro and love it. This little light is down right amazing with a 10440 battery. I found mine on eBay for $14 shipped BNIB.