ArmyTek        
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 33363738394041424344 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1295

Thread: Power Outage, How many Lumens, How many batteries? (for lights and more)

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Power Outage, How many Lumens, How many batteries? (for lights and more)

Quote Originally Posted by kilogulf59 View Post
    Thanks for the info, very helpful. Those night lights sound very useful. The Pak-Lites are an attractive device, however, I'm going totally rechargeable (using NiMH AAA & AA units) and would rather not stock 9v.

Some personal input here; a year, or so, ago, I experienced my first power outage using a headlamp. It was magnificent! If I had to choose only one type of light for an emergency situation it would be a headlamp.

CAUTION: Do not use a headlamp in a security situation for obvious reasons. If it's the only light you have remove it from your head and use it like a flashlight.
    I really don't like wearing headlamps but I admit they have some obvious advantages that I could have used several times in the past. I have a few around nowdays but haven't had a power outage long enough to necessitate their use recently.

I have no experience with 9V rechargables to say how they would work with Pak-lites but it probably wouldn't be worth the bother them considering how long the Pak-lite can run on primaries. You really don't need to stock much in the way of batteries for Pak-lites 2-4 extra lithium 9V would give you a lot of run time and have a long shelf life. Even if you are going all rechargeable it is a good idea to have a few lights with primaries as back ups. Lithium batteries will hold up better under extreme temperatures than NiMH,like if you were storing a light in a car.
    I respectfully reserve the right to purchase yet another light......

Default Re: Power Outage, How many Lumens, How many batteries? (for lights and more)

I don't like wearing them either, however their utility is fantastic.

I have a friend who purchased a clip-on type and uses it for night fishing, clipping it to the bill of his cap.

Unenlightened

We get them regularly here. Mainly Cyclones.
    For the last 18 yrs or so.
    I just use the 3.5KVA Generator I have for caravan, (1.8 kva Prior. But it didn't run Air cond).

I have plenty of lights. Normally ceiling bounce them. 18650 and 26650. if just a short blackout.

This genny runs complete home. large split air cond. Pool pumps. frifges. Everything.
    No Aircond using. I plug in next door and it runs both of us. Both 2 Storey homes.

Overnight ok for torches. But we get 4 to 6 days and more, out when a decent one comes through.
    Torches would drive you mad.
    Check around. SOME Chinese Generators run HONDA Motors in them.
    This one is used regularly in caravan and home. cost $470AUD Del and is 7 or 8 yrs old this yr.
    Change oil. Change plug each yr NO STALE PETROL That's it so far.

I don't want to turn this thread so I can take this private if the moderators feel that's appropriate.

I don't know anyone who uses a generator frequently so your commentary caught my attention Macka17.

3.5kva (2800 watts if my conversion is correct) doesn't seem like much to power an entire house, however everyone's needs are different and if it's working, then great. We're rural, have a well, everything in the joint is electric except the furnace, which is LP and the pellet stove though do both have electric blowers. I figured I'd need about 6 to 6.5kw.

Here comes the questions...

• Approximately how much gasoline do you use a day?
    • How much do you stock?
    • What do you use to keep is fresh, swap it out or use a fuel stabilizer?
    • Do you run it, periodically, throughout the year and, if so, for how long?
    • How difficult (and expensive) is it to hook up to the house circuit-breaker panel?

Any further information or suggestions would be helpful and much appreciated Macka17.

I've got 3 lights for power outage duty:

Nitecore EC4SW (2000 lumens)
    Coast HP550 (1075 lumens) and
    Coast HP450 (1400 lumens).

Plenty of charged Eneloops and 18650s around, and I just tail stand them to ceiling bounce.
    I have more than I need, but not as many as I want.

Surefire owner since 1995.

Kilogulf- I'll try to give a bit of insight based on recent experience here. It's within code where I live to use what's called an Interlock Kit on your panel- you have to kill main power before energizing the line coming in from outside. It cost me $600 to have it professionally done, running about 60 feet of 10/3 wire and the proper receptacle on the outside of my house. This allows picking and choosing what you want to run, rather than a dedicated transfer switch and panel. I run either a Honda EU2000i or EU7000i depending on my need for 220v power. 2000i runs all day on 2.5 gallons under a light load, 7000i runs a 5 gallon can plus per day which is why I try to limit it's use. The enemy of fuel storage is ethanol pump gas. We have several stations locally that sell non-ethanol, which is good for a year plus in a good fuel can. I store 40-50 gallons in various sized cans and rotate it through my yard equipment through the year. 30 minutes of runtime every three months and dumping the oil once a year has served me well. If using them steadily, I change oil every 100 hours. (4 days.) Each unit has a bit over 1000 hours on it, the 2000 is about 20 years old, the 7000 is 3 years old. Selective running can greatly stretch fuel stores... If exposed to air, any ethanol pump gas will pull moisture in from the atmosphere regardless of additive. Non-ethanol is the way to go...

Edit-My 2000i was enough to run my pellet stove and refrigerator 24-7 after two big storms here, a week without power both times. Well pump needed 220 which is why I bought the 7000i. That, and it's QUIET! And sips fuel on ecothrottle...
    Last edited by scout24; 12-09-2018 at 09:14 PM.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

I don't have one because I so completely and utterly don't need one, but I've enjoyed spending many hours reading and planning and figuring and writing out pages of possibilities about generator use (LOL, I'm sure y'all understand) - so THANK YOU for the real world information about them here, especially you scout24 about the Hondas.

How do you guys like those battery powered fans that run on 18V tool batteries? We're in a heat-wave and the AC is a little challenged. IF the power went out, the place would get uncomfortably warm pretty quickly.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Talk about timely- same question! I am sitting in the same heat, and was going to head to Home Depot this morning to see if they stock any 18v fans from Ryobi. I've got a couple of their tools and batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    How do you guys like those battery powered fans that run on 18V tool batteries? We're in a heat-wave and the AC is a little challenged. IF the power went out, the place would get uncomfortably warm pretty quickly.
    I have a Milwaukee fan as I have their batteries already and it has sure come in handy for me!

I have used it on hot job sites as well as when camping and the batteries last a surprisingly long time to me.

I am tempted to try the big Ryobi too and the battery eco system for them is pretty cheap for sure which is huge as it would be another new battery system to invest in as well.

Right now I use Milwaukee and Makita Tools so having the batteries is obvious but with Ryobi I am not sure that I would try anything aside from the big fan?

I also have a few Milwaukee lights and they have been great as well.

My home in the urban jungle was plaqued with a failing climate control system that would konk out at the darndest times. It quit cooling again due to another burnt out blower fan right about the time mother nature changed to Jack Frost season. We put up with being hot for a few days with fans and a window unit. An older system with an issue plaqued blower fan motor meant the fan was hard to find at any price. US motors had a universal option so I scored one and installed it while mother nature was cooling the house down. It was that period at the end of summer where days and nights in the mid-atlantic region are perfect temperatures and humidity.

Then it began to turn cold. Well my blower fan worked great. The heater portion…… konked out……again. Home Depot had radiators that worked well during the chilly period. Part after part, my heater would work a few days then fail. Always a different part and more expensive each time. I was working out of town and would order said part and install it on the weekend. Things would be warm and toasty for Mrs. Fixer for a day or two until. By now Thanksgiving had arrived and the house was kept warm via three tower heaters from Home Depot. The final straw was when the thermo-coupler failed and the new one did not make things better. The heat exchange kept throwing a code in the system. Turns out a mouse had made a home inside the exhaust manifold. While removing the nest a rusty spot developed a hole. That was that. Time to replace this thing.

Mr. Contractor installed a new system and mother nature played another joke on us. Power outage. Yup, 6 hours later we had no power thanks to a mini blizzard. 12 hours later the house was in the 60's… low 60's. Next morning in the low 50's. By noon in the 40's. We have gas water heat and a gas stove. I conceived a cacoon to keep Mrs. Fixers chamleon alive next to a pot of simmering water. My company had just issued me a new 4x4 truck so navigating to Home Depot in 3 feet of snow was easy. I picked up a Honda 2200i generator and while hooking it up the power came back on.

We used 3 Maglite ML series flashlights on eco mode to ceiling bounce enough light in 3 locations to navigate the house and provide enough light to read by in the evenings until climbing into a bed covered with about a foot thick of blankets and a down comforter. I chose the 2200i from experience at work knowing it sips fuel, runs real quiet and can power a 600 watt heater or 5000btu window unit. We don't rely on the refrigerator/freezer to stay alive but think of it as a modern convenience instead. A week without power means we cut into the stash of food stock meant for such times. I learned a long time ago how to live like the old days before the all night generator was invented.

2 weeks in an all electric apartment without power in a town where I knew nobody was a valuable lesson. Back then an elderly gentleman with no family to turn to was the only person besides me in the whole complex who stayed. At the time I did not know that. Then one day we met in the laundry room where we ended up sharing stories and ideas. He mentioned things learned from his youth like down comforters and radiational heating while the sun wasavailable. I mentioned things available in modern times like cooler in the shade keeps frozen things frozen and aa powered lanterns when every C and D battery is gone from store shelves. Turns out we both lived off of mostly canned tuna and potato chips.

In one hurricane event Mrs. Fixer and I were set with everything but cigarettes. That was the year I learned to keep enough cash on hand for a weeks groceries. Stores were open but computers were down so plastic money was no good. We kept the all electric neighbors coffee'd up thanks to a gas stove and thermos's during that one. And shared LED flashlights. Before I became a member here I had a few extra multi-LED flood lights for lighting up the engine bay of my vehicles and a stockpile of batteries. But none of my neighbors smoked. So we scrounged up enough coins to acquire a few packs of smokes to last until the world returned to normal in our little bubble. Now that I vape that is no longer an issue either.

But the Maglite 300 lights provide plenty of useable light for a bunch of hours if the power goes out again.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 07-21-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Kilogulf- I'll try to give a bit of insight based on recent experience here. It's within code where I live to use what's called an Interlock Kit on your panel- you have to kill main power before energizing the line coming in from outside. It cost me $600 to have it professionally done, running about 60 feet of 10/3 wire and the proper receptacle on the outside of my house. This allows picking and choosing what you want to run, rather than a dedicated transfer switch and panel. I run either a Honda EU2000i or EU7000i depending on my need for 220v power. 2000i runs all day on 2.5 gallons under a light load, 7000i runs a 5 gallon can plus per day which is why I try to limit it's use. The enemy of fuel storage is ethanol pump gas. We have several stations locally that sell non-ethanol, which is good for a year plus in a good fuel can. I store 40-50 gallons in various sized cans and rotate it through my yard equipment through the year. 30 minutes of runtime every three months and dumping the oil once a year has served me well. If using them steadily, I change oil every 100 hours. (4 days.) Each unit has a bit over 1000 hours on it, the 2000 is about 20 years old, the 7000 is 3 years old. Selective running can greatly stretch fuel stores... If exposed to air, any ethanol pump gas will pull moisture in from the atmosphere regardless of additive. Non-ethanol is the way to go...

Edit-My 2000i was enough to run my pellet stove and refrigerator 24-7 after two big storms here, a week without power both times. Well pump needed 220 which is why I bought the 7000i. That, and it's QUIET! And sips fuel on ecothrottle...
    Scout24, I just noticed your reply (above) to my query of 09-18-2018 post #1264 and I apologize for not responding sooner and for not thanking you for all the in-depth advice. I assure you no slight or insult was intended. Thank you very much sir.

Default Power Outage, How many Lumens, How many batteries? (for lights and more)

I also can "Bug-Out" to the driveway as needed and I will just say that it is a lot easier to keep comfortable in this than in the house when I need to!

My Honda 2000 can easily do everything that I need here and will run the AC if needed and I have Propane for Heat so am mostly self-contained with this.

I have 150ah of battery on board and the Hinda charges these pretty quickly too.

Water is about 6 feet away on the side of the house for Summer use and I can live in this indefinitely by myself if I need to.

It also can make a terrible situation actually almost a fun adventure for me but of course YMMV as they say.

Last edited by AVService; 07-21-2019 at 09:29 AM.

Nice.
    Me want one of those AV.
    John 3:16

Kilogulf- No worries! I hope some of it was at least topical... AVService- What size AC unit do you have on your camper?

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Kilogulf- No worries! I hope some of it was at least topical... AVService- What size AC unit do you have on your camper?
    Mine has Polar Cub 9k which I don't think is made anymore?
    This was the sweet spot for the Casita size trailers because it will start from the 2k genset easily unlike the more common 13k units which are more than I really need anyway.
    It is also smaller and lighter weight than the bigger models.

Its great in use too the cold air just falls down on top of me while sleeping!

There is also a mod to only keep the fan running when the thermostat calls for cooling which I need to make and it should run even more efficiently than now.

Good info. I'm semi-looking for a second small rooftop unit for our camper that will run off the eu2000i if needed. It won't fire up the 13.5k that's on there now. I'm a firm believer in redundant redundancy even when it drives my Wife crazy...

I always have problem of power outages during winter storms, so I had to buy a genny to survive such freaks of nature. Decided to purchase a dual-fuel one for its versatility. Now I feel safe when the lights go off.

Yes, dual fuel gennies are nice. During superstorm Sandy it was noted that although there were long lines and often rationing of gasoline, LP gas was much more easily obtained.

Hurricane/Tropical storm Isaias swept through the East coast Tuesday and Wednesday this week, and left nearly 3 million homes without power. I think this is second only to Hurricane/Super Storm Sandy, regarding power outages.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...lina-northeast

I just moved, and don't have a backup generator. Although we didn't lose power, as many in my community did, lighting would have been my least concern. Well yeah, I am amply prepared for loss of light. BUT, we have been having a sustained heat wave, temps in the 90's with high humidity, and the loss of AC would have been devastating.

I do have a Ryobi battery operated fan, and half a dozen batteries, and a car charger for the batteries, and although that would have helped a lot, I would not have been a happy camper. I'm sure that generators are currently in short supply, so when things calm down, I'll pick one up.

I'd love to get one of those Honda 2K inverter generators, because they are so quiet. But I think they only put out 110V and my AC is certainly 220V.

without using my solar panel for charging and just using my existing flashlights as they are right now, I could keep us going for a month quite easily (I have about 70 lights all with batteries and fully charged always). with my solar panel I could keep us going forever. I have a generator as well but I would never use it in SHTF scenario because it makes too much noise and would attract too much attention.
    I have over 1000 wax candles as well, not to mention several oil/parafin lamps and heaters (and a couple of gallons of parafin), a couple of gas lanterns with a case of 24 gas tanks.

if it makes Light, I`v probably got one somewhere! LOL

I live in rural Idaho. When I first moved here, outages were too common. Now, not so much. We have a 4 Streamlight Seige AA lanterns which use three AA batteries (we use rechargeables), have an assortment of flashlights, and a Honda 2000g generator. We keep spare food, water, etc. I have battery back-up for the wi-fi/router (good for 6-8 hours). We also have the usual stash of candles. It seems our occasional outages are consistent at no more than three hours. We also own a house in town about 15 miles away where power almost never is out at the same time so there's that as an alternative.

Nothing like having a backup house 😁
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
    I have battery back-up for the wi-fi/router (good for 6-8 hours).
    I never thought of that. I didn't even know such a critter existed. Do you have more info on this and any recommendations? Perhaps a separate thread would be in order?

I never thought of that. I didn't even know such a critter existed. Do you have more info on this and any recommendations? Perhaps a separate thread would be in order?
    I have one that I bought from a thrift store for a few dollars that I'm not sure if it works or not since it uses a lead acid battery that was dead. It is a 12v setup with a DC plug on the end of the cord you plug it into the router/modem and plug it into the wall using it like a UPS.
    IMO unless you can buy one of these cheaper than a small UPS I would rather have a small UPS instead as you could plug other things into it perhaps a radio or something.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

I bought it at Costco. Called a CyberPower uninterruptible power supply. Can't tell you much other than it works and also acts as a surge protector.

I have a UPS in the studio, it helps keep line noise down (better for recording) and lsats long enough to finish a recording is the power ever went out during a session, it`s 24V (2 12v SLA) and runs a good half hour (if I`m not using the PA gear).
    The wi-fi router I have doesn`t have mains in directly but uses a wall wart (not sure of the voltage) but it would be a fairly trivial issue to make a battery backed PSU for it and not even have to think about inverter circuitry!

I just looked at mine.... Belkin battery backup unit Rev B. It uses a 12V 7A battery (standard size). It seems to have good ratings on Amazon but I don't think you can buy it any more new and any UPS older than a few years will in the near future most likely have the battery go bad on it and SLAs aren't cheap to buy locally about $25-$40 for one. I used to buy them for $10 each but then the lead mine owners did an OPEC type thing and the price of lead went way up and has never come down.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I just looked at mine.... Belkin battery backup unit Rev B. It uses a 12V 7A battery (standard size). It seems to have good ratings on Amazon but I don't think you can buy it any more new and any UPS older than a few years will in the near future most likely have the battery go bad on it and SLAs aren't cheap to buy locally about $25-$40 for one. I used to buy them for $10 each but then the lead mine owners did an OPEC type thing and the price of lead went way up and has never come down.
    My unit is at least 6-7 years old and seems to be working fine, so far. As we both work at home, it's been a lifesaver. While we have cell phones with hotspot capability, we're pretty remote and rely on wi-fi calling for solid connections. Point being, I need a battery back-up other than running an extension cord from my Honda 2000 into the house.

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
    My unit is at least 6-7 years old and seems to be working fine, so far. As we both work at home, it's been a lifesaver. While we have cell phones with hotspot capability, we're pretty remote and rely on wi-fi calling for solid connections. Point being, I need a battery back-up other than running an extension cord from my Honda 2000 into the house.
    Good quality SLAs can last 10-12 years but no guarantee they will last 5 even. The one thing that is good about any UPS that uses 1 battery is in an emergency you could remove a large battery from a vehicle or boat and connect it in place of the small SLA.

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 33363738394041424344 LastLast