Aluminium 5 White LED Flashlight GT-275

Larry1582

Enlightened
Anybody seen or know anything about the Aluminium 5 White LED Flashlight GT-275 from GoldenGadgets? It sells for $19.95 which is cheaper than the Inova, but I was wondering about the brightness.

Larry1582

Enlightened
Well, I guess I will have to be the one to order one of the lights and see what it is like.

StevieRay

Enlightened
Beware of any dealings with this goldenpsx or golden gadgets.
I was ripped off by him. He shipped a light DOA and refused to pay the shipping costs for returning it. I would be willing to bet that this is a "junk light" based on my previous experience with him.

Steve

Larry1582

Enlightened
Okay, here are some quick first thoughts. I ordered the light on 12/04 and it arrived in the mail today 12/09. About normal.

The light was wrapped in bubble wrap inside the shipping box and there were two new Ansmann CR123 batteries in the box. There were no instructions or paperwork for the light.

The light uses the same body as the "police" xenon light. I believe Craig has reviewed that light at the LED Museum.

The head appears to have been glued so I can't get a real good look at the circuitry. It appears to be direct driving the 5 leds with a small resistor in the circuit. I am assuming that means that there is no regulation right? Anybody know how long the light would run on two fresh CR123's?

Anyhow, I stuck the Ansmann batteries in the light and immediately compared it to the 3 leds in my Streamlight TT 2L light. The 3 leds in the Streamlight are brighter than the 5 leds in the GT-275. I took the lights into a dark closet and made the same observation.

I swapped the batteries around from the Streamlight to the GT-275. The 3 leds in the Streamlight were still brighter.

I am going to play with the light more after supper.

I compared it to a opalec newbeam that I have running on 3 AAAA batteries. The GT-275 is brighter than the opalec with a larger diameter beam.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
How's it holding up?

I've been wondering if this would be a reliable place to buy inexpensive lights (the flood of LEDs on Ebay makes me think that the next "Earth From Space At Night" poster is going to show China shining brightly, there are so incredibly many lights at next to nothing prices that I fear for my good sense -- and also fear buying stuff from people who haven't quite gotten it right yet!).

It'd be nice to know a supplier who could tell junk from, well, cheap but okay.

Larry1582

Enlightened
Later this morning I am going to leave the light on constantly until the batteries die and see how it does.

Larry1582

Enlightened
The light has been running constantly for the last 4 hours with no noticable dimming. All 5 leds appear to be at equal brightness.

Larry1582

Enlightened
The light is still running with no noticable dimming after 9 hours. I have been at work and have not been watching the light the whole time. I did notice a couple of flickers a while ago, but the light did not shut off and maintained brightness. Could the batteries draining have caused the flicker?

Larry1582

Enlightened
After the 9 hour mark the light flickered more. The light finally went out. I took the batteries from the light and put them into the Streamlight TT 2L to see if they were dead and they were still able to barely run the xenon bulb. I put the batteries back into the GT-275 and the light again lit up. The light is still running at this time with no flickering. Ideas anyone.

Latest posts