Component Video cables vs. S-Video cables...

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Am I "really" going to notice that much of a difference? I've got some good ole' standard RCA cables (gold plated)...should I use those or spend the $$ for the double shielded, rocket science cables? Thanks!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:Am I "really" going to notice that much of a difference? I've got some good ole' standard RCA cables (gold plated)...should I use those or spend the $$ for the double shielded, rocket science cables? Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]
There should be a noticeable difference especially if you are watching DVDs-on a good monitor.

I would not get those $75.+ (each) cables if you are having no interference problems, assuming you are using a decent grade shielded cable now, IHMO-...& experience.

Tomas

Banned
Reasonable quality cables (top end Radio Shack, for example) are about all you really need unless you have some really excellent gear, etc.

The only thing to maybe be cautious about is using a proper RCA equipped coax cable for the digital audio link (you are using digital audio, right?).

(In most installations, the only place an S-Video cable makes sense is from a VCR.)

T_sig6.gif

was_jlh

Enlightened
Sigman, I don't know where "land of the midnight sun" is, but if you've got a Radio Shack nearby, go and check to see if they have this item in stock - # 15-1596. It's a set of cables which happens to include a 12 ft S-video cable. Was $9.97 last time I checked, however, it is a deval item so it may be less now.

Joe

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends. For audio, as long as you have a good signal with no noise there isn't really a reason to upgrade. If you can't hear the difference why pay for the difference. Video is different. it uses a broader bandwidth, as a general rule video cables should be 75 ohm. That includes wire and connectors. I personally would spend the lion's share on the video cables and use an optical or digital coaxial connector for audio if given that option.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I agree, it depends a lot on whether there are local interference sources nearby. While 75-ohm cable is the standard for baseband video, I've seen a lot of weird no-spec cables that have worked in a pinch, at least for composite video. I've actually seen more trouble caused by incorrect termination impedance than from cable problems per se, although on home units, termination impedance is usually not a user-adjustable thing. Not without power tools, at least. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
I didnt really see much of a differece.

ALTHOUGH,,, if you have a surround sound reciever that allows for fiber optic cables for the sound. They make a HUGE difference.

My DVD, CD, and MiniDisc players are all on fiber optic now. The DVD is the major difference, because my reciever now goes inot "descrete" mode, that is TRUE digital decoding.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
id say it mattes on ya eqipmet say ya got a big *** hdtv plasma tv. with some kick *** resoltion id go for s cables for sure.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few DVD players and tvs now have DVI interfaces. These will get more common as the days go by. Quite possibly the next new standard for a video interface.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Have a Kenwood KR-X1000 surround (Dolby Pro Logic - THX certified, but NOT Dolby Digital), put the gold plated component video cables on -already had them, perhaps a step up from standard cables - but not the real expensive double shielded cables that I was considering...)...

Put in "The Eagles - When Hell Freezes Over" DVD and I am absolutely "AMAZED"!! Guess there's no need to spend the extra $$ at the moment unless I start getting some sort of interference induced into the lines.

Thanks for all the input!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
tiktok 22 said:
A few DVD players and tvs now have DVI interfaces. These will get more common as the days go by. Quite possibly the next new standard for a video interface.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are different flavors of DVI -
DVI-I includes digital TMDS signals as well as separate pins for analog RGBHV for VGA monitors. DVI-D has the digital signals only. There's a third flavor of DVI that I'm not remembering at the moment.

And there's another connector coming down the road - HDMI,
High Definition Multimedia Interface. HDMI will incorporate the same TMDS digital-RGB signals from the DVI format, but it also includes multichannel audio. And it's going to include copy protection capability. Hollywood has been pushing for a digital interface that works with copy protection. While they can retrofit C-P to the DVI spigot, it's looking like HDMI is going to be the next wave for hi-res display interconnects.
http://www.molex.com/cmc_upload/0/000/248/672/hdmi_pr_031110.html

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
Put in "The Eagles - When Hell Freezes Over" DVD and I am absolutely "AMAZED"[/]!! Guess there's no need to spend the extra $$ at the moment unless I start getting some sort of interference induced into the lines.

Thanks for all the input!

[/ QUOTE ]
Rock on... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif