My fenix P3d would not light up (SOLVED)

quixote

Newly Enlightened
I am a tech idiot, can anyone of you help me to fix it? I can mail it to you. Maybe the bulb is dead, I just don't know. I really like this flashlight.

Last edited:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My fenix P3d would not light up

Check to see if retaining ring in tailcap is tight and clean all contacts then relube.

NiteCoreAddict

Newly Enlightened

​Well give me some detail as to what is going on with it.

FPSRelic

Enlightened

Check to see if retaining ring in tailcap is tight and clean all contacts then relube.

This is actually a good idea. My P2D Had a similar issue where it would not switch on, and it turned out it was because the retaining ring had come loose. It had started to get flakey before it quit switching on though. Fenix has a youtube video that shows how to check the retaining ring here:

quixote

Newly Enlightened

OMG, I follow the instruction of that youtube video. Problem solved. This is insane, they should send this video to every owner.
Many thanks to all of you. You guys just saved my favorite flashlight.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad to help, the P3D is a nice light, I have one myself. Have you seen the Fenix PD32 and PD35? Both of these will run on an 18650 battery.

quixote

Newly Enlightened
Fenix PD32 looks interesting. What's the difference between 18650 battery and CR123A battery. I use CR123A for two of my flashlights. Where did you guys buy your batteries and which brand is good?

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix PD32 looks interesting. What's the difference between 18650 battery and CR123A battery. I use CR123A for two of my flashlights. Where did you guys buy your batteries and which brand is good?

A 18650 is a high capacity rechargeable that is a little bigger than two cr123's, is about 4.2 volts fully charged and will run about as long or longer than cr123's in the pd32. Surefire, Panasonic, and Duracell are good 123's, and can be bought at reasonable prices at several venders online. I bought 4Seven's 123's from foursevens.com and they are known to be good. You probably want to avoid most batteries made in China.

quixote

Newly Enlightened
ya, I bought a few cheap batteries from extreme deals, which are made in china stuff. I should check out 18650 batteries, is amazon a good place to get them?

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
18650's won't fit in the P3D. Amazon has many vendors, good and bad, Panasonic, Panasonic rebrands, AW, Eagletac and Fenix make good 18650's from what I have read.

An AW 17670 should fit your P3D but you will probably lose turbo mode but would get better runtime on the lower modes than with two RCR123 rechargeables.