Anyone have a KL6 on an M4 body?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to see pictures! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, will this configuration work (4x123's) without DD'ing the LED?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking about it. Currently my M4 is host to a superb 5 watt drop in module, but if i manage to get hold of an SRTH, ill move the module to that and get the KL6 for my M4. From what i have read so far, if you fry anything in the KL6, its no biggy, as all it takes is to undo 3 screws to get access to the LED and circuit. Just drop in a Downboy and a nice binned Lux.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just wondering how long it would be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I think it would look a bit strange, like the KL6 on an M6.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al was kind enough to take a picture of the KL6 on the M4 and send it to me:

kl6onm4b.jpg

Thanks Al!

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like those grenades the germans used in the war... Potatoe mashers? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sure looks good for wacking something (or someone) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="red">FIRE ONE! </font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

What happends when you run a KL6 on 4 SF123's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

l4fire.jpg

Actually, I like how it looks. I just couldn't resist! It's the new weapon in the war on terrorism! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes it actually looks like a normal flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was the configuration I had been musing about for some time after PaulW suggested it in a thread a way back. Only two things now keep me from it. First, the cost of the donor body and second, the less than scintillating incremental performance of the KL6 head. While it would probably run quite nicely and economically on 2xPila 168S, the nearly $400 cost of the combo renders it unfeasible and undesirable.

And besides, a SNII would kick its a$$ for approximately 1/4 - 1/3 the cost.

For me, the uber-usefulness and perfectly balanced design (in all aspects) of the L4 makes it the true category breaker in this SF LED lineup.

Wilkey

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Al,

I agree that the KL5 should not be hosted on 3x123. However I believe that hosting the KL6 on a M4 is a safe combination. It is my understanding that the Kl6 can handle a Vin above that which you would see from any 4x123 cells. I have a KL6 on M4 and like the feel and balance of the light. For momentary on, the weight is not balanced well with all of that light out there. However, for a walk around, in constant on, I think the KL6/M4 is an ideal package in terms of thermal relief and battery capacity. The KL6 I modded with a Luxeon III is even a cooler and longer burner with greater reach. IMHO, this combo provides a very useful tool at the other end of the momentary/ tactical applications.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
...KL6 I modded with a Luxeon III is even a cooler and longer burner with greater reach

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one expensive host, Don. You're lucky to be able to get parts/stuff like that. I'd love to mod a KL5 with a LxIII, but it's tough to take a new one and mod it.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Beretta,

Of course you are right and I should have qualified my statements as being devoid of any cost effective or economical feasibility consideration. The subject of this thread is KL6 on M4 body and I addressed this but not the underlying viability. More significant, I think is the modularity of much of the SureFire line to the extent that the KL6 on M4 today can be switched back tomorrow to the stock configuration if one has these components to mix and match to start with. Had some twit not fried the circuit in my KL6, it *might* not be hosting a Luxeon III today. Then again I am an out of control flashaholic so who knows.....

EDIT: Al, I like the KL6 on the M6 as well. The KL6 has enough mass and size to work on the large diameter of the M6 pak. It reminds me of the M1.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damm that new M3 bezel is ugly. I guess now I better step up my efforts to get an M3 with the old style. Although the KL6 isn't any prettier either.

GregR

P.S. Of course I didn't like the KL4 head's appearance when it came out either, now I've kinda warmed up to it. Of all the LED heads I think the KL5 is the best looking and best proportioned.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had thought maybe you had a slight flash of mad scientist one night. I'll keep this back on topic...

It really is like a big M1. I'm not nearly as wild about the new M3 bezel on the M6.

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
Don,

Would you mind telling us more about the KL6/Luxeon III mode? Is throw much improved over the stock KL6?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Alan,

The Luxeon III in the KL6 provides a much tighter and brighter spot than the 5W. I don't have good quality dark close at hand for comparing the two but I can identify targets having more illumination from the III than the 5W. At roughly 1 meter, I measured 2630 on a stock KL6 and 3740 on a III that's being driven at around 700 mA. The spill light is more than adequate for the near ground and in fact there is some merit to not having too bright of a flood in close that causes your eyes to adapt to higher levels of light that may work against seeing the distant targets.

As we seem to have found and agree with the other reflectors in use, the single die of the III will always out reach the 5W. The KL5 and KL6 will be no exception to this. How could they be?