Weird stuff you've found while exploring

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
On another forum found a thread that was well over 100 pages of people sharing stories from cult ritual sites in the deep back woods to antiques hidden away in an abandoned building to even abandoned homesteads tucked away in an uncharted cave. I know a lot of people on here are into the outdoors and like to hike and explore so I was curious of things you guys have stumbled upon.

Don't have much time right now but I'll post some of my stories later on tonight.

markr6

Flashaholic
If we start getting a lot of posts with pics, this thread is going to be one of my favorites!! But unfortunately, I have nothing to contribute.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
While camping in the Daniel Boone national forest in central Kentucky I "found" a saltpeter mine/cave that was used during the civil war to make gunpowder. They had to put up iron bars to reduce the vandalism and graffiti.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not too far from where I live, on a hilltop very deep in the woods, in a place that is hard to find and difficult to get to is a mysterious cemetery of graves marked with old weathered rocks for headstones. Nobody really knows the history and origin of the graves. There are various ancient cellar holes in this vicinity that date back to the early colonial period when this cemetery appears to date from. On the other hand there is speculation and some evidence that these graves may be from an earlier time. (The first British settlement in this area was in 1724 with the construction of Fort Dummer but that would have been 20 miles or more from this site and groups of settlers would likely not have ventured that far from the protection of the fort for any length of time.) It is thought that most and perhaps all of these graves are from a single family or klan and they all seem to be dug at approximately the same time. Disease? Indian raid? Starvation? Nobody really knows.

4qbKVKZ.jpg

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mmm. I don't have time to pick from my photostream, but you've reminded me of some great adventures. Thanks! Does tracing down rumors ("There's a crazy huge tunnel under a city") into the actual basketball-court-sized tunnel count as 'found while exploring?'

Latest posts