is this dangerous?

Dranz

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone :wave: i´m new here and i hope you can help me with your vast knowledge :p i own X2000 Flood-to-Throw Zooming Glass Optics Cree P4-WC LED 200lm Flashlight from dealextreme
and it works with 1x 18650 battery. recently my driver broke and i did this DIY fix...
works for now with 1 mode on/off is there any possibility for my flashlight to explode or something.. :p

se0wg9.jpg

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened
What exactly did you do?

It looks like you bypassed the driver and now you direct drive the led?

Dranz

Newly Enlightened
yeah i soldered -wire to side of the driver board but +wire is still soldered to where it was before ^^ was just wondering what do these drivers do like regulate voltage and such? if so is bypassing the driver potentially dangerous?

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only danger is to overdrive the LED. It will shorten its life. A P4 is not good at handling a direct-drive circuit, especially on a fully charged li-ion. The other problem is that without regulation, the light will be very bright (and hot !) for a couple of minutes and will then slowly dim, just like an incan flashlight...

Why don't you just install a new driver ? You can easily get another one from DX... and wile you're there, a LED upgrade would be nice. There's a huge step from a P4 to an XM-L2.

Last edited:

Dranz

Newly Enlightened
already looking for new drive might get XM-L2 too :) good to know it wont exlplode in my face while i wait for parts :)

Thanks for quick answer!
appreciate it :)