cleaning Fenix HL-21

sam0set

Newly Enlightened
I bought an HL-21 in March. I've used it several times a day since then. When I bought it, all I could find about maintenance was a Fenix video saying to use a q-tip with rubbing alcohol in the battery compartment and put a little vaseline on the o-ring, as I recall. That video doesn't seem to be available.

Recently, the switch became intermittent, repeatedly failing to turn the light on or turn it off. I didn't want to use rubbing alcohol, but it was the only material I'd seen recommended. I squirted a little into the bottom of the battery compartment, clicked the switch a few times, and poured it out. In so doing, I got some in the reflector housing.

The switch worked perfectly, but I could see droplets in the reflector and lens. I was afraid of the harm the water in the rubbing alcohol might do. It took 36 hours in a warm place for it to dry.

Once it was dry, the switch was again intermittent. I cleaned it again, this time with a squirt of Puretronics 3000 Contact Cleaner. That did the trick.

Does anybody have maintenance recommendations for the HL-21? The switch or battery contacts may need attention in the future. it seems wrong to use rubbing alcohol in a flashlight not made to take apart, because of the water content.