Are there any Flashlights that take AA & CR123 Batteries WITHOUT needing an Extension

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
Are there any Flashlights that take AA & CR123 Batteries WITHOUT needing an Extension

Hi folks,

I've been waiting patiently for Zebralight to release the updated version of their sc80 flashlight (the sc82).

But I'm wondering if there are any other flashlights that offer the same flexibility?

The Zebralight sc80 can use either AA/14500 or CR123/RCR123 batteries. But it has an Internal Adapter that means you don't have to carry around a tube extension. So I'm wondering if there are any other flashlights out there with this ability?

:confused:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Re: Are there any Flashlights that take AA & CR123 Batteries WITHOUT needing an Exten

Given the different sizes of the cells, obviously, the light either is larger, and uses a sleeve for the smaller cells, or, is smaller, and uses an extension for the larger cell, etc.

An internal adapter would have to come OUT to allow fitment of the larger cell, so you'd still need to "carry around the adapter", etc...or be OK with rattle, etc. :D

Plan B would be to prewrarp the wee cells themselves to make them fatter, avoiding the sleeve, etc.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any Flashlights that take AA & CR123 Batteries WITHOUT needing an Ext

ZL uses a thimble looking type of adapter that will fit an AA 14mm inside it. When a shorter CR 16mm is used, the thimble is inverted to the flat part on the positive of the CR battery. That acts like a spacer.

So in either battery configurations, that thimble stays inside the body.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Are there any Flashlights that take AA & CR123 Batteries WITHOUT needing an Ext

Streamlight Sidewinder v2

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened
Re: Are there any Flashlights that take AA & CR123 Batteries WITHOUT needing an Ext

The Gerber Omnivore takes CR123, AA, or AAA although I wouldn't recommend the flashlight.

I've been waiting for the SC82 as well. Wish they'd hurry up.

- Tim

Illum

Flashaholic

Are we referring to tubular flashlights or any flashlight would do? While its probably obsolete by now, take a look at the Surefire Saint's battery box. Holds two AAs or 1, 2, 3x CR123As

passive101

Enlightened

Zebralight is the only company I know of with modern brightness and quality light.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast

ZL uses a thimble looking type of adapter that will fit an AA 14mm inside it. When a shorter CR 16mm is used, the thimble is inverted to the flat part on the positive of the CR battery. That acts like a spacer.

So in either battery configurations, that thimble stays inside the body.

9.5 out of 10 for your answer Ben. I'll make it a 10. :)
What a great little adapter!

http://www.zebralight.com/SC80c-AACR123A-Flashlight-85-CRI_p_85.html#

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Sunwayman V10R and V11R series have AA adapters that can be added to lengthen the body so you can use them with AA and CR123. But I like the ZL approach better as you don't need to carry an accessory with you if you are using CR123 and then need to switch to an AA cell.

tonkem

Enlightened

I have the Zebralight SC80. Great little light, purchased for that very reason. I am sure they will release it by the end of next year :) Otherwise, find a used one :)

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Sounds like I'll continue to semi-patiently wait for the Zebralight sc82 to come out.