JohnnyMac

Newly Enlightened
XTAR Multi-usage Mini USB Light UL1

*XTAR UL1 provided for review by Xtarlight.com

PROS

• Best USB light I've ever seen or used
  • Really nice tint and smooth beam
  • Solid but lightweight construction
  • Included goose neck extension is long enough to position the light where you need it.
  • 4 excellent modes
  • Doubles as a flashlight if plugged into an external power charger
  • Can be used as a laptop light, map light in your car if plugged into a USB adapter, or versatile room lighting if plugged into a wall wart charger.
  • Excellent heat transfer from emitter to outer body.
  • Choice of two colors: Silver or Electric Blue

CONS

• Can put a lot of stress on the USB port of a laptop if hung out further from the side.
  • Gooseneck, while just tight enough, could be a just a little stiffer to be perfect in my opinion
  • My sample had a small bend in the male end of the extension but was easily corrected

MANUFACTURER SPECIFICATIONS

ANSI Illumination levels: Turbo High Mid Low
Luminance: 180Lm 120Lm 60Lm 3Lm
Max Range : 47m
Max Intensity: 555cd
Impact Resistance: 1.5m
LED: CREE XP-E R3 LED
Working Voltage: 2.75-5.5V
Battery: USB 2.0/3.0
Switch: Clicky Side switch
Size: Ø 22.0mm(Head dia)x Ø 48.0mm(Length)
Net Weight :18.0g(Excluded Metal Hose)
Hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
Features:
1.Optical PMMA material
2.The groove around the switch is good for positioning
3. Multi-usage, could be used as flash light (connect with the power bank), desk lamp (with the computer), wall lamp (with adaptor)
Street price: Around $15 USD

ADDITIONAL SPECIFICATIONS
Number of modes: 6
Mode Order: Main modes: High/Turbo/Mid/Low
Hidden modes: Strobe/SOS
Lens: TIR (diffused)
Extension length: 14"

2013513175911154.jpg

CONSTRUCTION

The UL1 is actually very well made but considering it is made by XTAR it should come as no surprise. If you are used to the normal USB laptop lights then the quality will truly surprise you. The main head is fully finned and anodized aluminum. Machining and anodization is impeccable. The back half of the light is made of plastic but doesn't really feel cheap. The switch is very small but easy to operate and has a nice feel to the click when pressed. The USB male connection is something that always has a little bit of looseness in most USB powered accessories where they are attached to the body of the accessory but this one is solid with zero play or slop. The entire light feels like it is one solid piece and does not disassemble for service. I doubt you would ever need to take it apart for repairs.

Below is a picture from XTAR that shows the driver board, TIR optic and Cree XP-E emitter on it's MCPCB that are used in the UL1.

201351317582968.jpg

The fins are nicely spaced and well machined. The switch is small but has good feel and the tapered edges surrounding the switch make it easier to press.

9432156096_7d00c22f09_z.jpg

Below you see how the end of the extension arrived with a crimp in it.

A couple seconds with the tip of my pocket knife and it is better than new.

The ends of the extension are sturdy and fit the UL1 well.

All lettering is cleanly laser etched with clean edges and solid fill. The model name of the light and the Serial Number plus the obligatory "Hot Surface" warning. In this case it's needed as extended runs on Turbo leave the head very hot.

The XTAR logo and website URL are molded into the rear of the UL1.

PERFORMANCE

XTAR claims ANSI lumens of 180, 120, 60 & 3 lumens OTF and my tests in my Integrated Sphere confirm those number pretty closely. Nice to see a manufacturer claim accurate OTF numbers on their lights. Here is what my tests showed. Please note that the actual mode order is High, Turbo, Medium, and Low.

ModeOTF Lumens
High131
Turbo173.1
Medium69.8
Low3.46

The hot spot is nicely diffused and large. Unlike most TIR optics the beam is still round and not square. The tint is neutral and very creamy vanilla in tint. The modes are nicely spaced. A click of the switch starts the light in high mode. Subsequent clicks cycle through the regular modes. Once on and in any regular mode, a double-click of the switch puts it into blinking mode where it flashes twice per second. A second double-click puts it into SOS mode. A single click when the light is in either blinky mode will return the light to High mode. To turn the light off just press and hold the switch for 1.5 seconds.

The included goose neck extension allows you to direct the output of the UL1 pretty much anywhere you need. It hold it's position very well but in my opinion could be just a tad stiffer. I think with use it will slowly loosen. Being a bit stiffer from the start would allow it to hold up to extended daily (or nightly) use.

Plugged into a wall wart if makes for nice auxiliary lighting and would be great in a small room like a bathroom instead of a night light or to light up a desk or workspace.

2013513175848737.jpg

The UL1 comes in a choice of two colors: Silver and Blue

201351317574653.jpg

CONCLUSION

This is a pretty sweet little light. Arguably the best USB light you can buy and for just $15 it's a hell of a deal. Add in the fact that it turns into a versatile flashlight if plugged into an external backup power supply and it is the perfect accessory for the laptop bag or glove box. I can recommend this light without any reservation!

thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

holylight

Enlightened
Useful for handphone battery pack and laptop :D I been eyeing on this too, but I too many lights haha. Nice review.

Trevtrain

Enlightened
Hi JohhnyMac

Thanks for the review, I've been trying to find one of these for the past few days.

Pretty sure I read in the specs somewhere that it featured thermal stepdown.
My main interest in this would be with a 4*18650 box and one of those Silcone diffusers.

Wondering if you've had time to do an extended runtime test on Turbo? I'd be curious to know if it would get hot enough to step down with the diffuser on it.

Cheers

JohnnyMac

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the kind words, Trevtrain. I know of places in the states that sell them but can't help out with Australia.

As for thermal step down I'm sure you are right but never thought to do any runtime testing as runtime depends so much on the power source (potentially limitless). I just know that on high it got fairly hot. I will run mine on high and measure the temp with my IR thermometer and see if and when it steps down the output. ;)

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
My car has a factory in console USB port, I use the light in the car on lowest to illuminate the console area.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
I got one today and am really liking it, particularly with the gooseneck USB cable which allows it to be aimed anywhere. IMO makes for a very practical light for use in many areas and the 60 Lumens setting is great for lighting up my Kindle DX screen, running the light from a USB rechargeable battery pack. Best price I have found was a seller offering it for $12.95 including shipping.

The strobe is very low frequency compared to any flashlight I have with the function. I would guess in the 3 cycles per second range or so. Pretty useless in my judgement but then I have never needed strobe. Actually the instruction sheet calls it a "signal" function rather than strobe. I do not see much point in the SOS function either in what to me is a utility light.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
After almost 4 years mine is still working great with occasional use. I also have a similar item sold on Amazon by Ravpower at about the same time as I got the Xtar light. It claimed about 120 Lumens maximum.

There seem to be about 5 similar items currently being offered by Chinese sellers on ebay, a couple with ridiculous lumens claims. Versions from a aluminum housed one mode version without a switch to a couple of good looking items I have ordered. Also an all plastic single mode one with switch that I bought years ago. About 30 lumens out but the switch and USB connector are junk.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I bought FOUR of these XTAR UL1 lights from a CPF seller at the XTAR thread and gave them out as Christmas gifts and EACH of them FAILED!

Worse than that, the seller repeatedly gave me lip service and the runaround when contacted by email but did not even offer to issue me a refund upon return of said lights.

Shortly thereafter, XTAR discontinued the light. I inferred the company and their sellers knew they were selling a defective product.

That destroyed my trust in XTAR sellers on the XTAR thread here at CPF and injured my trust in XTAR as a company.

- LetThereBeLight!