Shortening Mags?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have access to a lathe. Cutting a mag on it doesnt seem like a problem. But my questions is after it's cut, how do you thread the inside of the body? Are there taps large enough to use? If so, what size am i looking for? The possibilities of mods seem endless with different battery configs in shorts mags. They seem to be the perfect mod host!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
cutting and rethreading mags isn't as easy as it may sound, but it isn't hard either.

the threaded portion on the top makes them impossible to chuck properly, so you need to thread them into the head, and chuck the head. with the head chucked, it's impossible to get the tube to spin 100% centered.
of course, i've got a small lathe, and if your lathe is large enough it should be possible for you to chuck directly onto the tube.

as far as the process, it's rather simple.
use a cutoff tool to score the light wehre you want to cut it, then use a hacksaw to completely remove the bottom end. (using the cutoff tool all the way cost me several mm's, because they tend to get ripped out of the chuck)
after cutting it down, bore it out a little bit, so you can get your tap into it. then tap it, then bore the end for where the oring can go.
a tap is the best way to do it. internal threading is a b!tch! the appropriate size is 5/8-28

i'm somewhat of an expert on the subject, having cut down over 50 minimags /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
After i cut it, why do i have to bore it out? Just to clean up all the metal shavings from the hacksaw or do i actually have to make it ID bigger? After tapping it, i bore a portion of the threads flat for the o-ring, correct?
If i find a 5/8-28 tap, that'll be perfect for stock tailcap? Thanks roth!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
you need to bore it to increase the id enough to fit your tap in.
yup, the end needs to be bored out for the oring
5/8-28 is the threading for the kroll/mm tailcap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah! Do your replies pertain only to minimags? I was actually hoping to shorten C or D cell mags.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
oh...

my bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

in that case, you need to internally lathe thread. it's something 20tpi.