Intovatec IFL WA Zoom 300lm question

server

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I recently got Intova 300lm diving light as a present -> http://www.intova.net/products/ifl-wa-zoom-video-light/ .
It uses 2xCR123 batteries that came with it.
On their website - they strongly discourage use of rechargeable batteries RCR123:

Q: Can I use Rechargeable batteries with my Intova lights?
A: Use of rechargeable batteries is strongly discouraged for models with CR123 batteries. Flashlight circuit design presents tradeoffs. More brightness equals shorter burn time. With CR 123 batteries, we designed them for a specific voltage to allow max burn and brightness. Using rechargeable batteries can cause problems with circuit boards, cause lights to fail and void warranty. They will also deliver significantly lower performance and do not really save money if you calculate the cost of batteries and chargers and the effective burn hours. Non-rechargeable CR123 batteries are available at very aggressive prices-just find the right location to purchase. Rechargeable batteries are OK for AA and AAA models.

Does any of you have experience with those flashlights and how safe it is to try RCR123 (I have 2xAW RCR123 at 750mAh), or should I stick to primary CR123?

Thanks in advance.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xCR123 gives about 6.0V at 1 amp. 2xRCR123 gives about 8.4V at 1 amp.

2xCR123 will not usually give over 2 amps above 5v.
2xRCR123 will easily give over 2 amps above 7v. These differences can destroy your driver circuit. Or they can make the LED super bright. It depends on several things, including your exact cell health, LED forward voltage, and so on. Ask them about the '17670,' which is about 3.6 to 4.2 volts, and the physical size of about 2xCR123. Rechargeables just don't quite match primary voltage.

server

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, will try a 17670 - should be fine. 2xRCRs might come a bit much and fry something. When I get my hands on 17670 will report back :)

server

Newly Enlightened
OK Just FYI 17670 works fine, light output seems the same as 2xCR123. In 1:30h (of full brightness) it decreases to let's say half, then continues decreasing for 30 more minutes until it turns of completely.
I haven't tried 2xRC123s - I'm afraid I'll fry something. :)