New Olight S20 L2 Baton...

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got home late last night and it had arrived from Going Gear. Not much time for romancing the light...but one thing I don`t like, low mode it to low. Lower than the S15...a light that has a good useable low mode. I feel it is a waste of a mode given the light has a moon mode. The moon mode is brighter than the S15. So the effect is two very close modes. Beyond that complaint, NICE!

Nice wide hot spot, wider than my S15...this might be sample dependent, rather than by design.

Tint is good. Might be a hint of green there...but if not for the history of green tints in these "S" lights...and the fact that I`m looking hard for it...might not even notice it. So, a noticeable improvement over the older tints of the S series (at least in my sample).

The middle mode level is great, for sure where it will spend most of it`s time when in actual use.

Smooth transition from the wide hot spot to the wide spill portion (looks to have plenty of energy in the spill too).

Instead of a blue switch cover it has a clear-ish one...but looks black-ish. I can kind of see the ring area beneath it that I think is the part that lights up red when the batt gets low. Have to wait and see as I don`t have any drained down 18650`s.

Hopefully some of our reviewers can get some reviews up soon. My first impression is a very positive one. Accept for that low mode choice.

Last edited:

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Finally some feedback from a S20-L2 owner! It´s great that the greenish tint issue seems to be solved in the upgraded S20. I have some questions regarding this light. On the old S20 the button(side switch) and the red ring behind the reflector glowed in the dark. Does the button on the S20-L2 glows in the dark? Does the red ring surrounding the reflector glows in the dark?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally some feedback from a S20-L2 owner! It´s great that the greenish tint issue seems to be solved in the upgraded S20. I have some questions regarding this light. On the old S20 the button(side switch) and the red ring behind the reflector glowed in the dark. Does the button on the S20-L2 glows in the dark? Does the red ring surrounding the reflector glows in the dark?

Yea I remember that. But no, I see no glowing from either the switch or the red ring in the reflector...none from the red ring in the reflector on my S15 either. Maybe it`s just to dim for me to see it as it`s daylight here...but from what I can tell nothing glows anymore on the two new updated "S" models that I have.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Yea I remember that. But no, I see no glowing from either the switch or the red ring in the reflector...none from the red ring in the reflector on my S15 either. Maybe it`s just to dim for me to see it as it`s daylight here...but from what I can tell nothing glows anymore on the two new updated "S" models that I have.

Thank´s for telling. That´s a little pity if the glowing(luminous) features is gone,especially the glowing button. It helped locate the light in the dark when for example having it standing next to the bed at night.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank´s for telling. That´s a little pity if the glowing(luminous) features is gone,especially the glowing button. It helped locate the light in the dark when for example having it standing next to the bed at night.

Yea, I do wish they had at least kept the glowing red ring. See no reason why they did not.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Badbeams3,
i wonder about how the stepdown feature works on the S20-L2. At Olights webpage it says that the light has time based thermal management and after lighting on high mode for 4.5 minutes, the output ramps down to 50% of high brightness to avoid overheating. When looking at the manual(the runtime diagram) at Olights webpage it shows that when running it at high mode it slowly steps down and does not ramps down to 50% until after 20 minutes(this is regardless of one is running it on CR123 or 18650 batteries).

Wich one of the datas is correct? When you run your light at high mode,does it steps down to 50% after 4,5 minutes or is it over a 20 minutes period?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Badbeams3,
i wonder about how the stepdown feature works on the S20-L2. At Olights webpage it says that the light has time based thermal management and after lighting on high mode for 4.5 minutes, the output ramps down to 50% of high brightness to avoid overheating. When looking at the manual(the runtime diagram) at Olights webpage it shows that when running it at high mode it slowly steps down and does not ramps down to 50% until after 20 minutes(this is regardless of one is running it on CR123 or 18650 batteries).

Wich one of the datas is correct? When you run your light at high mode,does it steps down to 50% after 4,5 minutes or is it over a 20 minutes period?

I ran it on high yesterday for some time...maybe 10 minutes, while doing some electrical work. I was not able to detect any dimming. But don`t think you should base any conclusions on that...my eyes are just not all that good...

firelord777

Enlightened
@northerstar,

My friend I feel so bad that I couldn't squeeze a few pictures of the S20 before I left! I see you are quite excited and eager about the light:) I'll work on the full review and hope to have it up next weekend. But for sure I'll do my best to squeeze a few pictures for you before that:)

Cheers

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I ran it on high yesterday for some time...maybe 10 minutes, while doing some electrical work. I was not able to detect any dimming. But don`t think you should base any conclusions on that...my eyes are just not all that good...

Thank´s for the reply! I belive that your conclusion is right and that the S20-L2 do have a slow over a 20 minutes stepdown feature just like the manual says.

@northerstar,

My friend I feel so bad that I couldn't squeeze a few pictures of the S20 before I left! I see you are quite excited and eager about the light:) I'll work on the full review and hope to have it up next weekend. But for sure I'll do my best to squeeze a few pictures for you before that:)

Cheers

Thank´s but don´t feel bad for it. Vacation goes first!:) You can do the review when you get back from the vacation.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The low batt warning light does not appear to work. Not on a 18650 or not on mine anyway. The light just shuts off without any warning. Very disappointed as that was the main reason for my purchase. I just don`t care for lights that run and then just stop. Love using the light, but will end up using my Nitecore EC25 more, so I know whats going on batt wise...what to expect when I need to count on it for a time.

De-longhi

Newly Enlightened
The low batt warning light does not appear to work. Not on a 18650 or not on mine anyway. The light just shuts off without any warning. Very disappointed as that was the main reason for my purchase. I just don`t care for lights that run and then just stop. Love using the light, but will end up using my Nitecore EC25 more, so I know whats going on batt wise...what to expect when I need to count on it for a time.

Hey guys, can anyone confirm whether the S20 L2 is meant to have voltage indicator? was going to pull the trigger on one but will be a deal breaker if not.

thanks for any info regarding this

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Hey guys, can anyone confirm whether the S20 L2 is meant to have voltage indicator? was going to pull the trigger on one but will be a deal breaker if not.

thanks for any info regarding this

That was a good question!:thinking:

When reading the info about the light at Olights webpage,it does not mention the low voltage indicator. Neither does the manual. However,when reading about the lights specs for example at Goinggears site there is says "Low voltage indication: the bottom side switch will shine in red, when the power is low."

The old S20 did have a low voltage indicator.If would be pity if the new S20 did not!

Nordicflash

Newly Enlightened
Hello! I got some feedback on your question aswell as an S20 XM-L2 owner. I can tell you that the old button is replaced by a new one that doesnt glow, however the new button has a much better feeling to it kinda like more distinct like the button on a camera. The red ring behind the reflector is still there and it still glows.

Best Regards
NordicFlash - www.nordicflash.se

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Hello! I got some feedback on your question aswell as an S20 XM-L2 owner. I can tell you that the old button is replaced by a new one that doesnt glow, however the new button has a much better feeling to it kinda like more distinct like the button on a camera. The red ring behind the reflector is still there and it still glows.

Best Regards
NordicFlash - www.nordicflash.se

NordicFlash,
Thanks for the feedback! It's a little pity that the button does not glow anylonger,but the other features sounds good. BTW,I visited your webpage. It was informative. I am keeping my eyes on it for updates.

Badbeams,
I got a reply from Selfbuilt who owns a S20-L2, and the low battery indicator works on his sample,shining red when it has low battery capacity. Maybe your S20-L2 is deffective?

De-longhi

Newly Enlightened
NordicFlash,
Thanks for the feedback! It's a little pity that the button does not glow anylonger,but the other features sounds good. BTW,I visited your webpage. It was informative. I am keeping my eyes on it for updates.

Badbeams,
I got a reply from Selfbuilt who owns a S20-L2, and the low battery indicator works on his sample,shining red when it has low battery capacity. Maybe your S20-L2 is deffective?

I have contacted Olight via there web site and going gear and they both assure me that the L2 DOES have the voltage indicator , orderded one last night so fingers crossed

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
NordicFlash,

Badbeams,

Running it again. This time on high. Should run the 3100ma batt down fairly fast. I am wondering if the old 2400ma batt`s protection circuit might have kicked out early, that or maybe the red light does not come on in the lower modes...or maybe I just missed it...

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Decided to run the old 2400ma batt down in my EC25 Cobra at the same time...so I can get an idea of when to pay closer attention to the S20.

Edit: The Cobra is set on the 540 lumen mode. After about 10 minutes it started blinking 50% power....

Edit: The Cobra is now blinking rapidly...25% power. Switched batteries in the lights...test continues.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok. I was wrong. Finally ran the batts down and the red light did come on. Must have missed it before. Switched it to medium, red light went out...came back on after about 5 minutes, switched it to low, red light went out...have to see how long before it comes back on...been about 10 minutes so far.

Last edited:

De-longhi

Newly Enlightened
Ok. I was wrong. Finally ran the batts down and the red light did come on. Must have missed it before. Switched it to medium, red light went out...came back on after about 5 minutes, switched it to low, red light went out...have to see how long before it comes back on...been about 10 minutes so far.

thanks for taking the time to clear that up.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it`s been one hour and still has not come back on. Turned it up to medium...still there...high...still there! Very nice! I do wish the red light was brighter and blinked...more of an attention getter. None the less, I`m happy :)