Maybe I'm not ready for the complexities of flashlight ownership yet. ; p

Rich2250

Newly Enlightened
Here's what happens when you leave a G2 on until the battery dies.It was also face down. It made a perfect happy face! Still works, beam actually isn't too bad either. It was an accident, I guess I had it screwed in close enough wherein it turned on just from setting it down! What are the odds right??

0808131104a.jpg

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
This used to happen to lots of folks with incan tactical output lights, they use a polycarbonate or acrylic lens that can't handle the trapped heat when the light is on and placed bezel down on a table or whatever, and it doesn't take all that long to happen. The clicky ones were victims too as instead of turning the light off sometimes folks would "set them down for just a moment" to do something and then come back 10 minutes later to a nice warped lens. New lenses (AR glass, Borofloat, AR acrylic, etc) for the G2 are available, unless you're dropping the light off rooftops and things a glass lens should work great. On my G2 I was worried about that very thing happening, so I found the position of the tailcap where it wouldn't possibly go off without a firm button press and use a dremel to put a couple of "lock out" notches that make screwing it down to the right position easy (and one turn back = locked out so it works like surefire's metal lockout notches do)

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
This really isn't such a bad thing, now you have the opportunity to go to CPFMP and buy a Z44 bezel, then get either a Malkoff, Solarforce or Illumination Supply drop in. When you upgrade to LED, your G2 will really shine, no pun intended (well, maybe just a little).

Remember though, the G2 has a plastic body so don't get a drop in that generates more heat than the Z44 bezel can dissipate.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
High intensity single mode lights, or the high mode of multi-mode lights, are intended more for intermittent, brief illumination rather than constant on. If you are going to have the light on constantly, use either a less expensive, less intense light, or if you have a multi-mode light, use one of the lower modes. You will not only avoid heat problems this way, but will also preserve your battery life.

After you replace the lens, save the damaged lens. If you ever find yourself carrying an aggressively crenelated light and are questioned about it, you have a perfect explanation (the crenelations provide some ventilation if the light is ever placed lens-down while on).

bluemax_1

Enlightened
After you replace the lens, save the damaged lens. If you ever find yourself carrying an aggressively crenelated light and are questioned about it, you have a perfect explanation (the crenelations provide some ventilation if the light is ever placed lens-down while on).
More importantly, the crenellations make it obvious that the light is on when on a flat surface, bezel down.

Max

earcutter

Newly Enlightened
I am truly sorry to see that! But take solace in knowing that your thread may indeed be akin to a public service reminder. At least it was for me... So sorry, and thanks for the heads up.