Petzl Myo 5 headlamp opinions wanted please!!

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been trying to read every post I can on various headlamps and have found that allot of people like the PT Yukon, Streamlight Septor, the Petzl Tikka Pluss, and the expensive but very nice Lupine Edision or Lupine X-Trem Beam.

I have not seen alot of mention of the Petzl Myo 5 and would like to know what you guys think about its function, weight, light output, comfort etc and how it compares to any of the above mentioned "competitors".

I am looking for a very good general purpose multilevel, multifunction, multiangle light. I do allot of home theater custom installs and that requires much time in peoples attic or crawl spaces and holding a flashlight in my mouth is becoming a pain. Other than the attic I would use the light when running wires in entertainment systems, when working on my personal watercraft or 4 wheelers in the garage (there will also be other lights on...so the light will need to be able to function in non-total-darkness scenario) etc.

I would possibly also like to run with this light so balanced should be good so it doesn't bounce around and into my face.

Not sure of LED vs regular or anything like that so any information/direction would be helpful. Price is not a limiting factor.

Oh and lastly, I do wear glasses so I am not sure if that would change opinions.

Thanks in advance.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Petzl Myo 5 opinions please!!

Thanks for the link. I will review the information presented there.

I would like to get some more opinions as well from those that have been using the light or have used the light as well.

Thanks.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cue003 said:...I do allot of home theater custom installs and that requires much time in peoples attic or crawl spaces and holding a flashlight in my mouth is becoming a pain. Other than the attic I would use the light when running wires in entertainment systems, when working on my personal watercraft or 4 wheelers in the garage (there will also be other lights on...so the light will need to be able to function in non-total-darkness scenario) etc....

...I would possibly also like to run with this light so balanced should be good so it doesn't bounce around and into my face.

Oh and lastly, I do wear glasses so I am not sure if that would change opinions....

[/ QUOTE ]

For crawl spaces, you will have difficulty with a light the size of a Myo, Yukon, Gemini, etc. You might want to consider a separate light for this purpose. I might suggest an Aurora or Tikka (plus), or Moonlight.

Running with a headlamp isn't too bad, but if you're in urban areas, you need a little more brightness (also for the "non-total darkness" scenarios you described). Gemini is good for this. It's relatively light, has a focused flood beam, with very wide and even sidespill. It also has dual LED for up close work. Whatever you choose at this brightness level, you will want to use it with the top strap in place.

I also wear glasses and have complained about the side spill from the Aurora. I should add, though, that for up close work it's irrelevant, and also that I am pretty meticulous about headlamps. Most users aren't bothered by slight imperfections like I am.

Finally, you might be able to kill two birds with one stone with the Zenix. It's has a small head, but runs a Luxeon (underdriven) with dual 5mm LEDs. So you have reasonable brightness and throw, but in small package.

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a Yukon HL and returned the Myo 5 to REI. The Myo 5 is somewhat awkard, and the control of the LEDs is not intuitive. I would think also that it's hard to run with a 4 cell battery pack on the back of your head, whereas the 3 cell on the Yukon is very lightweight and therefore does not have as much inertia to cause the whole thing to begin to slide or slip. I find that the Tikka plus is actually fine for high altitude mountaineering where there is no light pollution- just used one recently at 20,000 feet and it was fine- lasted for many hours- but then again in the mountains there is no light pollution. Your best bet may be the Matrix 2, which I tested against the BD Zenix and found it to be easier to use, less cumbersome, and brighter.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to all that have already replied and a thanks in advance to all others who will.

Jerimoth, how is the light output of the Myo5 vs. the Yukon HL or the Matrix 2 etc?

Do they use the same type of LED's etc? Can they be modded to produce more light?

What about the Lupine X-trem Beam? Anyone tested that one?

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
I actually didn't compare the Myo5- I was just happier with the Yukon and Matrix 2- the incan bulb on the myo was just not that impressive and the LEDs at full brightness weren't overwhelming either. The Yukon is definitely brighter than the Matrix, but the Matrix is bright enough for most applications in mountain rescue, except when you are doing a search, and then I use my Lupine. Hope that helps!

JohnJ80

Enlightened
I have a Myo 3 (similar, less leds), a BD Gemini, a Petzl Tikka, a Petzl Micro, another larger Petzl that I never use, and a PT Aurora.

Of all of these, I have to say I like the Myo 3 best, the PT Aurora 2nd and the BD Gemini third. The others I don't care about anymore.

Myo has the best ergonomics. It is well balanced on the head, the beam can be focused, you can turn it on easily with gloves or bare hands, and it can be easily adjusted. It can be locked off for carrying in your pack. What I don't like is that the straps are hard to adjust and get even. The beam is the strongest (incan) of all of these.

The PT Aurora is the one I carry for everyday travel due to its size and brightness. I can use it on planes, in hotels, or for any close up work.

The BD was my next favorite light and second if I need incandescent capability. Its straps are easier to operate, it has the most secure lock off. Mine is the early version that has one LED, the newer ones have two - which may have made it better than the MYO series. The beam doesn't focus, but this isnt a huge deal since you have the LEDs for close in.

The older Petzls just plain suck - batteries are tough to change, the lights flicker, the beam shot is all full of lines and squiggles etc... Never use them anymore.

The MYO series are lights are really nice, but I would seriously compare them to the BD lights. I think looking at the BD supernova with regulation might be a pretty cool idea - but I haven't looked at them all that hard.

j

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
Keep in mind that BD is coming out with a new Lithium rechargable- the Soliras I believe is the name...supposed to be brighter than the Supernova but more expensive- I understand that delivery date is January.