Here I go thinking again. Any thoughts for me?

Wylie

Enlightened
With any luck I will be hosting a Mad Max Wide Open board powering a 3watt TVOK in a Brinkmann 2 AA flashlight with low profile Frean optics and a mineral crystal lens soon. Here is where I would like to get some opinions and feed back if you guys would be so kind. I'd like to get myself some 1/2 AA Nimh cells and stack four of them in the flashlight to drive this aray at 4.8 and 2280mah. Does this sound like a good plan to any of you folks or am I pushing the board a little harder then I should and how would this effect the drive on the TVOK? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

red_robby

Enlightened
if you are going to use more then two cells(excced 3V)you
might as well go direct drive...
you want to use a booster to reduce the voltage ???

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Sounds like a really great light you're putting together there. Probably will be brighter than 98% of the flashlights on the planet. I'd stick with 2 rechargeable NiMH cells -- low cost fun! Let us know how it works out.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
2280 mA? Wylie, that little one-die Luxeon3 will be driven harder than Hotbeam's MR-X using an X-bin 5-watter (adjustable to "only" 1500mA-2000mA) which has Four dice in it.

Be careful, and wear asbestos gloves.

IMHO 1000mA is the upper limit in that rather thin-walled body...the LGI Classic (same thin-walled body except a little longer than yours to accept 3AAs) reached nearly 130Fº in less than twenty minutes...that's about as hot as you'd comfortably want to hold in your hand for any length of time. And the LGI Classic only produces ~900mA.

Also as the others noted above, input also has to remain Under the Vf of the Luxeon or else you bypass the circuit(s) and go right into direct drive, no telling what those scorned boards might do then.

Wylie

Enlightened
Thanks guys, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
This is one of those open mouth insert foot deals. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I know I said I was thinking but I just wasn't retaining all I had read when I started typing this post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I still don't know what the Vf on the Lux3s TVOK is although I may have grazed over it once. With the maximum input on the Mad Max Wide Open board it was easy to get confused when I didn't remember the little note about over running the Vf of the LED. As for the direct drive Im not one for constantly diminishing light as the batteries are drained although some of the multi-5mm flashlights I have built totally rock. I should go back and find the Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Mad Max and Bad Boy post for some more info.
This doesn't seem right but from what has been said the Mad Max Wide Open doesn't limit the current it only limits the voltage? This doesn't sound right because two common AA akalines would be doing about 4800 milliamps((barring the discharge curve anyway)forgot to mention this above) but only about three volt. The thing that caught my eye with the Mad Max Wide Open board is the .8 drop out or low end cut off voltage. I'd like to squeeze the batteries for all I could get out of them. I think three 2/3 cells may just be the ticket if I have .2 volt to play with. I'm I pushing it or what? I guess I better find the Vf for the Lux3s TVOK before I go and build a 3X2/3 charger and buy the batteries. Then again I think I might just be over the Vf with the Nimh as well. vf /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gifvf /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gifvf /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif okay I think I got it.
Thank you guys for setting this crazy train back on the tracks and me the $60 I could have seen go up in a pretty purple flash. I can't wait to see this thing even at 2.4 volt drive.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
2280 mA? Wylie, that little one-die Luxeon3 will be driven harder than Hotbeam's MR-X using an X-bin 5-watter (adjustable to "only" 1500mA-2000mA) which has Four dice in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The MR can push from 0 (not too difficult /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) to 3000mA. All that you need is something that can push out 3000mA and in a portable format.

red_robby

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Wylie said:
This doesn't sound right because two common AA akalines would be doing about 4800 milliamps((barring the discharge curve anyway)forgot to mention this above) but only about three volt.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wylie,
when your cells are in series(giving you around 3V with two cells), you'll only get the mA rating of one cell...
the mA will go up if you keep the cells in parallel.

Wylie

Enlightened
Thanks again guys, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif:dunce: <<new gremlin needed here.
This d/c really screws me up although a two pole breaker is still rated for each leg and not the combination so that excuse doesn't really fly does it. Let me work on a better excuse and I'll post it later. Im not about to turn down the help now so chime in any time here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
3.6v? that sounds like a reasonable overdrive on the s4k 3w sample I have. i think it got 3.5v from a bb750 IIRC. Problem might be that you get too close to the Vf to use a buck or a boost converter. I mean, more than Vf when fresh, less than Vf when depleted. IIRC the badboys can tolerate a batt voltage of 0.3v over led voltage or something. I am guessing you can make a >1A badboy if the input volt is very close to output volt.

Wait.. I just saw you will use a brinkmann? that means a sammich, right? I wouldn't put that much current to a sammich because it lacks heatsinking.

Wylie

Enlightened
I'll work something out for the module and glass. I think I need to make a sandwitch sinker for a fisherman I know.

Wylie

Enlightened
The weight of the batteries sure would make it a sinker wouldn't they. It's illegal to illuminate the water in a lot of areas. I have had some ideas going that direction but I have to test some concepts that have come to mind first.
Really, I was thinking of a small heat sink with six arms that would bathe in some sort of grease or jelly behind the reflector possibly conducting some heat to the greater mass through a quicker path. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I think a jelly sandwitch sounds great if the stuff under the domes could be aquired. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
I just cracked myself up, How about a jelly sandwitch fisherman? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
As for the voltage I guess its the Nimhs I have Akalines, not the Lithums I figure they're scetchy.