Malkoff M60

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Recently got a M60 in a light and am planning on keeping it. Its obviously different than the M61 I already have and after researching the M60 it seems a decent unit. Is there a reason I don't see it on Gene's home page anymore? I can find all the other P60 sized drop in's on his web page but the M60 only seems to show up on other web sites selling Malkoff devices. Was it too expensive to build? Poor sales? TIA. John

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know, the M60 was discontinued and replaced with the M61. Someone who knows for sure will come along soon and confirm.

MBentz

Enlightened
Recently got a M60 in a light and am planning on keeping it. Its obviously different than the M61 I already have and after researching the M60 it seems a decent unit. Is there a reason I don't see it on Gene's home page anymore? I can find all the other P60 sized drop in's on his web page but the M60 only seems to show up on other web sites selling Malkoff devices. Was it too expensive to build? Poor sales? TIA. John

I believe the M60 is now made by Elzetta. I got my M60 from Gene back in 2008/9, shortly before I got out of the flashlight world, so I don't know the whole story.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, M60 was replaced by M61. However, M60 still is in production(though not more the L and LL options) and is available from Oveready and Elzetta.

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that's excellent. The Elzetta website doesn't specify; do these modules have a different emitter than the original M60?

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Well that's excellent. The Elzetta website doesn't specify; do these modules have a different emitter than the original M60?
As far as I know the one I have has the XRE and is reported at 235lm OTF. What I really like about the M60 is the 8 degree beam. Its narrow enough that even at 235lm it looks great even compared to the M61 which has the XPG R5 if I remember right. Thanks for the answers guy's. Figured some of you would know what happened to the M60 on Malkoff. John

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
At the point Gene stopped making M60s, Elzetta was already making them under license from Gene. They did not switch over to the new reflector models and retain the original configuration.

Afaik, the only improvement over the original is that new M60 use the newer xre. Someone would need to check on the specifics, but these have a slightly different mount.

LightJaguar

Enlightened
Still have an M60 that I bough years ago. Still one of my favorite drop ins. The optics makes it stand out from the rest. Specially it since it looks Surefire was going to release an L5 with an optic but never did so the M60 is the next best thing.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the difference between the 60 and 61?

M61 provides a wider and less intense hotspot but a brighter and even illuminated spill.

M60 provides better throw but a dimmer spill, which gradually diminish without a clear edge. Consequently a dimmer but wider spill. In total darkness outdoors it illuminates practically everything around you in a very nice way.

My personal opinion is that M61 is great for indoors and close distance use(especially at walls), while M60 is better for outdoors use(except from when there is too much stray light from other lights sources).
Not all users agree with me in this case, but you have to try and see what's best for you.

Last edited:

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
M61 provides a wider and less intense hotspot but a brighter and even illuminated spill.

M60 provides better throw but a dimmer spill, which gradually diminish without a clear edge. Consequently a dimmer but wider spill. In total darkness outdoors it illuminates practically everything around you in a very nice way.

My personal opinion is that M61 is great for indoors and close distance use(especially at walls), while M60 is better for outdoors use(except from when there is too much stray light from other lights sources).
Not all users agree with me in this case, but you have to try and see what's best for you.

This users agrees - spot on description.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minor point, major if you dive...
M60 is a sealed unit. Advantage if you want submersible light.