Nitecore SRT 7

Tactical45

Newly Enlightened
So, I just purchased a new Nitecore SRT 7, NC 2 place charging station and 2 Eagletac 3400Mah 18650 batteries today. I am some what of a flashlight junkie, SureFire is still my top pick, now tied with the NC SRT 7. Time will tell if the NC will hold up to what I need it to do.
I will give a short back ground so you will know that I am not just some internet ninja. I have served as patrol/SRT (local PD), Contract Security, Home Land security, currently enlisted in the US Army vacationing in AFG. I have been an avid shooter and weapon builder for several years. That should be enough to give you an idea of my background.

So, back to the topic, I have yet to get my gear, I bought it all from ebay, not many places will ship to APO, even places back home, so I had to do my best to get what I needed. I have a SF M600C Scout that I converted with a KM2 and a SF M952V for my current weapon lights here. (I need these for obvious reasons) I have been using a Inforce White 225 for a hand held, but it just won't do what I need it to do, reach out.

With research, I ended up with the NC SRT 7. The final straw that got me to go from SF to NC was a video from Patriot36 on you tube, I believe some of you just might know who he is. Patriot, if you are reading, Thank You for your time and efforts, it was all I needed. From what I have seen and read, it is most everything I have been looking for, even the price.

I have a few questions that maybe can be answered here.
1) Why does it not have a strike bezel like so many in it's class? It is marketed as a military/police purpose light. I know my custom built SF P9 is awesome, but run time at the out put it has now is something like 30 min's. continuous, but has a strike bezel with a Z68 tail cap.

2) Why does the end cap shroud/ring only go part way around? To me, if it went all the way around it would be more stable if needed to be stood up. (signaling, light a room and so on)

Those are the only questions I have so far. What issues/problems have you run in to so far. This way I know if it is normal, or something I will need to look in to when it all comes in.
Thank you for your time, stay safe.

passive101

Enlightened
1 weapon policies and its easier on pockets IMO. I carry a firearm and a knife. I'd rather protect my pockets and I have other tools to use. The strike bezzle is enough to be used for defense if needed.

2 you can more easily use the switch with gloves.

AbnInfantry

Newly Enlightened
1) In his review thread on the SRT7, selfbuilt speculated that Nitecore continued using the same bezel as the P25. That's probably as good a guess as any.

2) The tailcap Nitecore chose to use on the SRT7, SRT6, SRT5, P25, and MH25 is a compromise design. Many "tactical" flashlights will have a protruding button switch which allows unrestricted access, especially when wearing gloves, but precludes the light from being able to tail stand. Non-tactical flashlights will often have a recessed or fully-enclosed button switch which protects the switch while permitting the light to tail stand. The design used by Nitecore allows the SRT7/6/5 to tail stand (albeit none too stable) while giving better access to the button switch than a fully-protected design.

Tactical45

Newly Enlightened
Re: Nitecore SRT 7

1 weapon policies and its easier on pockets IMO. I carry a firearm and a knife. I'd rather protect my pockets and I have other tools to use. The strike bezzle is enough to be used for defense if needed.

2 you can more easily use the switch with gloves.

1) In his review thread on the SRT7, selfbuilt speculated that Nitecore continued using the same bezel as the P25. That's probably as good a guess as any.

2) The tailcap Nitecore chose to use on the SRT7, SRT6, SRT5, P25, and MH25 is a compromise design. Many "tactical" flashlights will have a protruding button switch which allows unrestricted access, especially when wearing gloves, but precludes the light from being able to tail stand. Non-tactical flashlights will often have a recessed or fully-enclosed button switch which protects the switch while permitting the light to tail stand. The design used by Nitecore allows the SRT7/6/5 to tail stand (albeit none too stable) while giving better access to the button switch than a fully-protected design.

As far as the size of the head, I can see where the size would come into play. I don't remember the size of the strike bezel and head on my 9P, but I don't think it is that diameter (smaller). The 9P is at home in my vault, mounted on one of my M-4's that I built. When I carried it on the job, I carried it bezel up, so that wasn't a factor. I did however have the need for the aggressiveness of the strike bezel a few times. Once on a call for a vehicle fire, a fire extinguisher used by the FD would not break the glass. Too many people in the immediate area to shoot the glass. Second swing did it.

It may come from training with the Z68 style tail cap, but I have no issues with or with out gloves. This will also depend on the style of gloves you are wearing as well, and what part of your thumb/finger you are using to depress the button. I can see the logic in the design of the SRT tail cap, maybe it's just different to me, something I am not used to. Or, possibly the other way around. Can I make the SRT work for me, yes, could you learn to use the Z68 just as well, yes. I think it all just gets down to users choice.
When the light is mounted on a rail, I have it on a offset mount, so it is in a 45* position (lh side). It sits perfect for me there, I just use the tip of my thumb to depress the button. The Scout, 952v, 9P (in my set up) are all tactical lights. To me a tactical light should have a protected button so they are not accidentally turned on when not intended. I don't believe in tape switches for any of my weapon systems either, for the same reason. But as I mentioned above, it just comes down to training and or users choice.