What general purpose O-ring lube?

paulr

Flashaholic
I have a bunch of flashlights with creaky O-rings. Is there a general lube that's safe to use on all of them (I don't want to think about which ones are Viton and which ones are butyl and who knows)? Preferably something I can get at a local hardware store in a tiny little tube. I don't want to have to order it from somewhere (shipping costs) or buy a big bucket of it (I just need a tiny dab on each O-ring).

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
silicone grease should be fine, or you can use vaseline if you're a cheapskate like me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

donn

Newly Enlightened
I got some silicone grease by Mcnett. I think this has been said befire but you'll find it in diving kit suppliers.
D.

paulr

Flashaholic
Thanks, I'll look for silicone grease. I've heard that petroleum (vaseline) can dissolve some kinds of rubber.

silvercloud

Newly Enlightened
I've been using Radio Shack's multi-purpose Lube Gel it comes in a 3oz. tube more than what you probably want but works great. It says it's non-toxic, noncorrosive, and won't break down or decompose. It stays where you put it.

paulr

Flashaholic
The idea of using grease is so it won't run. Just a tiny dab is usually enough for threads or an O-ring.

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
I've been using Radio Shacks Lube Gel for about a year now and like it just fine. It feels smoother to me then the "Gunk Plumbers Silicone Grease" I tried first.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two I have used and like are....

Please note these are dielectric (non-conductive) and may not be suitable on the threads if they are a part of the circuit. I use just a little on the o-rings only. If you get some on the threads you will be fine though. You do not need much of this stuff, just little bit.

Radio Shack Lube Gel

and

Do-It-Best Silicone Grease

**The Do-It-Best lube is 90% pure silicone and contains no petroleum additives.**

Mike

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Non petroleum silicone grease is all you need. It's cheap and you should be able to find it in the plumbing section. Dilectric grease is a good choice at auto parts stores too.

Craig720

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
silvercloud said:
I've been using Radio Shack's multi-purpose Lube Gel it comes in a 3oz. tube more than what you probably want but works great. It says it's non-toxic, noncorrosive, and won't break down or decompose. It stays where you put it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. Just what I needed to know.

-- Craig