• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WITHDRAWN: Custom D36 Based Solarforce Lego

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened
For sale is a rather unique build. My aim was to create a small form factor, multi li-ion light driving an XML to its
full potential (3A), with a good size reflector for plenty of throw. I wanted to use the same buck regulator that I
built into one of my Mag builds as I have been happy with its performance. This required a custom heat sink to be made
to ensure the LED and driver board were properly heatsinked.

The parts list and bundle is as follows:

LED Driver:
http://www.lightmalls.com/super-output-ssc-p7-led-driver-board-low-high-middle-5-5v-15v-2

LED:
Cree XM-L, 14mm Round MCPCB, T4, 4000K tint

Head:
Seraph - D36 Mini-Turbo Head (With extra crenulated bezel)

Body & Tail:
Solarforce L2M Body & Tail with 18650 Extension (Also includes 16340 extension and original head)

Details:
The light itself is very flexiable, running off two or three 18650, 18500 or 16340. The PCB spec says it is ok up to 15V
although i've never tried this. On high it draws 1.5A from two li-ion, so it's probably best not to run it from
2x16340 for too long. The board also has low (0.06A) and medium (0.5A) modes with memory which are easily cycled
through with the forward clicky.

I spent a lot of time making sure the LED was well centred in the reflector. This resulted in a custom plastic centre piece
that was finely adjusted so that the LED not only sits in the centre of the reflector, but also at the right focus height.
I've tried to capture this in the photos below:

The custom pill has a recess for the inductor, so that the MOSFET can be secured to the heat sink. Without the heatsink, the PCB
gets VERY hot and goes into a thermal shut down mode. In this configuration I've been able to run it at full power for a good 10 minutes,
at which point the light is noticeably warm. Some thermal paste around the pill will further help with heat transfer.
The light itself hasn't seen much use. The LED and PCB are both secured with Arctic Alumina:

With the addition of a spacer to keep the light engine pressed down, this light could easily be turned in a brilliant mule light.
(I can make such a spacer for an additional $10, and a few days)

I'll be happy to answer any questions and provide additional photos on request, so please don't be shy!

I'm not sure if this light will get much interest, but I hope to at least recover the parts cost so I can focus the cash on some other
projects I have lined up. With this in mind...

I'd like to start by asking for $100 $90 $80 $70 $60 shipped WITHDRAWN
I'll also consider trades.

First "I'll take it" here gets it.
I'll then PM you with my Paypal address.

Shipping: (PLEASE READ!)

Since the light is located in the UK, postage within the UK will be via recorded delivery.
International post will be standard airmail as tracking costs an arm and a leg. So I can't be held responsible for
postal mishaps. (A quick search over in the marketplace will show I've had many successful sales). I will however be happy
to discuss postal options at the buyers wish.

Last edited:

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened
Re: WTS: Custom D36 Based Solarforce Lego - Now $70 Shipped from the UK

Any interest at $70 shipped? No questions? Starting to think this might have been better in the marketplace :p

Its an interesting light - I'm starting to collect l2m's now, but I like 1 cell configs, and the driver doesn't seem to start with less than 2! Would the pill fit in the regular head as a mule or only the large?

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened

The pill will fit in any Solarforce light, or at least should. It just needs a spacer to act as a mule to stop the pill being pushed up to the lens which I'm considering making next week should I get the time during my lunch break.

As for the driver, it requires 2 li-ion.