First custom maglite build please help!!!

warmice828

Newly Enlightened
Yes hi I'm new to this forum and I was looking for some help I just bought a 6D mag And I bought it to customize I have had really bright streamlight Flashlights but I would like to do a custom-built light I want to build a super bright flashlight that's why i got the large maglite So I could have plenty of power but I really don't know where to start I would like to do a HID build But I really am not sold on anything i just want the brightest I'm not afraid to spend a little bit of money but I don't want to sink a couple grand into it So could you please give me your feedback and let me know what option would be best I would still like it to be reliable thank you

Gtamazing

Newly Enlightened
What is your definition of "a little bit of money"? in all honestly there is not much more you can do with a 6D that your couldn't do in a smaller package(at least in led terms). there are some serious incans that are of that size but they aren't exactly practical.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
For incand, ROP (Pelican 3854H) bulb with aluminum reflector, Borofloat lens and 6 rechargeable NiMH is first choice but there are many other modes too.

For LED, something like
this using 60mm Extension tube and 7 rechargeable NiMH cells will be easy to install but again, there are many other modes available too.
I don't really recommend HID since both above modes are cheaper and relatively bright.

BTW, welcome to CPF

warmice828

Newly Enlightened
and a little bit of money meaning about 500$ or so but the cheaper the better and what kind of lumens can i get out of this thing the only reason for buying this light was to build it so i wont to go all out on it and have a crazy tourch. if you where to build a new 6d maglite what would you do to it please send links bc i have not a clue where to go to buy anything for this kind of stuff thanks again.

Gtamazing

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion with that kind of budget the first thing I would get is a
1. FM3X from member Fivemega. Worth every nickle in a powerful build. $140 reflectorless
2. Driver Taskled H6CC*** $32
3. 73mm Reflector $10
4. XML2 Emitter on copper sinkpad this seller is also a member here. Vesture of Blood. $15
5. Tenergy D-cells LSD these are pretty good d cells I'm using them in a 4d now. $50
6. Custom heat sink to mount the emitter. There are several member here that can do that for you. $??

Thats about $250 plus the cost of the heat sink you'll need. An Xml2 at 5.5A on copper has been tested in other corners of the interweb to crank out north of 1600 lumens. Your not gonna get much brighter than that with LED unless you go multi-emitter which gets more complicated or use that dinosaur sst-90. I've used all the components mentioned here.

Now that I've typed all this I might need to do this build.

***sorry this driver is not guaranteed to work with this low of voltage you may need to inquire further.

Last edited: