Maglite aaa led problems?

american

Enlightened
So I've had 2 of these one keychain light flicker and wouldn't come on. Just got a 2aaa a year later and it also flickers. Anybody have this cleaned the contacts too.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
are those stock led solitare?? if so return them for repair\replace, if it is mod, than it could be anything

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Not sure how you could have a 2AAA LED mini mag a year back they haven't been available that long and depending on what store you got it from you could probably take it back and swap it for another one.

american

Enlightened
A year ago I had the same problem with a led solitaire now it I have it again with a mini the looseness of the head on it being brand new is ridiculous I can turn it on with a touch of my pinky. And u think they need to redesign the contact in these light I think that's the problem

Maglitegeek

Newly Enlightened
Had the same problem with mine and I thought the thing was broke too but I decided to try a few things before I called maglite to tell them the thing is broke. So the first thing I tried was replacing the battery the light was still pretty bright so I figured the battery was still good but come to found out I guess the battery was weak enough to cause it to flicker like that because after I put the new battery in it worked just fine after that. (I have no idea why and it might sound crazy that the weak battery caused it to flicker and not turn on sometimes but replacing the battery definitly fixed the problem)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Had the same problem with mine and I thought the thing was broke too but I decided to try a few things before I called maglite to tell them the thing is broke. So the first thing I tried was replacing the battery the light was still pretty bright so I figured the battery was still good but come to found out I guess the battery was weak enough to cause it to flicker like that because after I put the new battery in it worked just fine after that. (I have no idea why and it might sound crazy that the weak battery caused it to flicker and not turn on sometimes but replacing the battery definitly fixed the problem)
If the magled light has a cutoff voltage in the circuit like the 2AA models it may reach a minimum voltage level and as alkalines sag under load it would drop voltage below the threshhold and go out then the load would vanish allowing the battery to recover voltage and be high enough to operate the light then the cycle begins again causing it to flicker or blink or etc. A new battery in the light not flickering shows that this may be true of the light a voltmeter on the batteries may find it around 1.2v or less.

american

Enlightened
Yea replaced batts has ocational flickers. Threads on head seem wayyyy loose from the factory so easy to turn the head with a pinky My aaa led solitaire did this too is it the strange contacts on the tail?

Etsu

Enlightened
Maglites do seem to have issues with flickering. Usually, a good whack will solve it for awhile.

Try greasing the threads if they turn too easily. A thick grease will help slow things down. (I know it's counter-intuitive.) If possible, use an electrically conductive grease, which might help solve the flickering problems.

american

Enlightened
This is actually with grease even I feel like maglite is getting worse I've had problems with 4 of my last 6 maglites 2 completely stopped working within a year aa, 2d LEDs

Etsu

Enlightened
Have you tried an electrically conductive grease? I've solved flickering in a couple of maglites by scrubbing off all the old lube with alcohol (I was using petroleum jelly as the old lube), and applying deoxit gold as the new lube on the threads and rings.

Though if yours are completely dead, it doesn't sound like that would help. I've never had a maglite completely die on me, although flickering was a common problem when I was using petroleum jelly to lube them. Some worked fine with it, others were more finicky. On other brands, I haven't found petroleum jelly to cause any issues; but it seems that maglites are prone to poor conduction.

If you don't have any conductive lube, then perhaps scrubbing off any existing grease and oil, and not using anything, might be something to try.

I've heard that the twisty switches on maglites can be a point of failure. Maybe that's what happened to yours if they're completely dead. I don't think maglites are great quality, but they're usually good. 4 out of 6 being bad sounds like you've had either really bad luck or you're really hard on your lights.

Good lube is not a guaranteed fix. Some maglites just love to flicker, no matter what you do. Whack 'em and sometimes they'll stop for a few minutes. I've never had one die on me, but other than my old incandescent C's and D's maglites, I can't say I've been very happy with them. They're decent performers, but they don't make the LED lights like they used to make the old incandescents.

Last edited:

bnemmie

Enlightened
I am having a similar problem with my LED Solitare. Its ridden faithfully in my pocket since they first came out. Now it flickers when I turn it on. Ive swapped out for fresh batts, cleaned the contacts several times, lubed it, cleaned the case out...not sure what else to do. It sometimes fixes itself when I press down on the entire LED assembly the the head off, but only until its turned off again. Its kind of a bummer because I like this little light.

PierceTheNight

Newly Enlightened
My Solitaire occasionally flickered before I took the head off and blasted the internals with WD-40. It seemed to have solved the issue.