Motorola Spirit M-Series 2-way radio thoughts?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Just got home from my local Lowes hardware store...they had a clearance table and were selling several (already marked down and then an additional 50% off) Mortorola Spirit MV21CV (VHF) range up to 5 miles...these are not the smaller "pocket" type radios, although they are still "hand sized/squarish" with a belt clip. I bought 2 along with 2 table top charging cradles and 2 extra batteries. I got these radios for $54 each...and of course half off the chargers and batteries...

Any thoughts on how these compare to the smaller "talkabout" type radios that also have 5 mile ranges? I believe the smaller radios are achieving their extended ranges through the GMRS (and of course also include the FRS set of frequencies). The smaller radios can be had for a very affordable price.

The M-Series Spirit radios are more of a commercial/construction site variety. They require the FCC business frequency application and the other "talkabout" type with the GMRS frequencies require a license also...

Should I keep them or return them in favor of the smaller "talkabout" type radios?

paulr

Flashaholic
The VHF radios are likely to work better in and around buildings. UHF needs to be more free of obstructions and are better for outdoors than for indoors.

JSamilo

Newly Enlightened
What I always thought is VHF propigates better in an open, rolling outdoor situation and UHF bounces around in buildings better than VHF, but does not "curve" along hills like VHF does. Either radio is good, but neither reaches anywhere near the claimed range unless you are in a line-of-sight interference-free region. The Spirit radio is probably more solidly constructed than the cheaper FRS/GMRS units though.