Malkoff M91 Drop In flickering after a few minutes of use?

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
I tried contacting Gene from Malkoff to no avail.

Basically, my M91 LED dropin (in my Elzetta 3 Cell) starts to flicker like crazy after I run the light for about five minutes.

Never noticed it before because I never used this light for more than a minute or two at a time. Now that I use it at work for longer periods of time, I notice this issue.

I tried different batteries, bought a new tail cap (tried both high-strobe and high-low), and the issue remains.

What could it be? The flickering is really bad.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only time my malkoff dropins flicker are when the voltage is too low. Have you tried calling Gene?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried contacting Gene from Malkoff to no avail.

Did you call or email? Gene typically has excellent service.

Also check the voltage on your batteries to make sure they are still high enough to operate properly.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may take a day or two for him to respond, but he usually will respond. He'll probably respond to this thread. It sounds like a bad module, but whatever it is, he'll fix it. No worries there. He has the best customer service I've ever seen.

Vesper

Enlightened
My M60 does this when I run it below recommended voltage, but like other's said, maybe bad hardware since you've already tried new batts.

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
So you guys are saying that it's normal for lights to flicker if the batteries are running low?

I did not notice this with my other lights, the output just gets smaller but not flickering.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say its normal for the drop-in to flicker when the batteries are low (not enough voltage). My MDC flickered yesterday when the battery was low. However, if you're using 3 new CR123 batteries, it should not flicker after just 5 mins of continuous usage.

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
I just tried another set of new duracell baterries. Ran the light for ten minutes and it's working perfect. I think I just used old batteries in the past.

I reached into my flashlight case and perhaps grabbed three that were not completely brand new. Problem solved. BTW, I just got a response from Gene and was offered a free repair or replacement, but looks like that will not be needed. Great service!

archimedes

Flashaholic
So you guys are saying that it's normal for lights to flicker if the batteries are running low?

I did not notice this with my other lights, the output just gets smaller but not flickering.

Depends on the type of driver, but yes, this can be the case.

I just tried another set of new duracell baterries. Ran the light for ten minutes and it's working perfect. I think I just used old batteries in the past .... I reached into my flashlight case and perhaps grabbed three that were not completely brand new. Problem solved.

Might want to consider getting a ZTS, which is more convenient for testing CR123A primaries than a voltmeter.

Also, be aware that multi-cell set-ups need to have properly matched batteries, for safety (!)

BTW, I just got a response from Gene and was offered a free repair or replacement, but looks like that will not be needed. Great service!

:twothumbs

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if you're into rechargeables, but if you use the light a lot, might be worth investing in a pair of 17500 cells and a lithium ion charger.