• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired *** SOLD *** FS - Modded KL1

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a KL1 that I put together from parts that I had. The lower portion of the head is immaculate. The bezel ring is also in perfect shape. The only problem is the center portion. I had evidently taken a pair of pliers to it to remove it. This must have happened during my earlier days of modding. Anyway, the first ring or heat fin, has plier marks on it. They are not bad, but did go through the HA and left minor gouges in the aluminum.

The KL1 is biased at 700mA and has an SX1K 3W luxeon in it. The NX05 optic is in pretty good shape as is the lens.

I'm asking $65 for it, shipped in the CONUS via Priority Mail with delivery confirmation. I'll ask that payment be made by Postal Money Order. If you want to use PayPal, I'll have to ask for an additonal 3%.

If you're interested, post then PM.

In "as is" condition, this would make a good work light. Modded KL1's in as new condition go for about $95. You could save yourself some money and not have to worry about beating this one up.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS - Modded KL1

Beretta,
I forgot to mention that I didn't reseal the bezel so that the optic could be changed.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

What the...? Well, foo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Chop, if this is put on an L1 body/switch, will it have two output levels?

BC

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

BC,
I haven't played with the L1 but it's my understanding that the L1's circuit in built into the body, whereas the circuit in the KL1 is built into the head. If you put the KL1 head on the L1 body, you wind up with a double regulation situation and I'm not sure what will happen.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

BC,
I've been giving your question some thought and I may be mistaken on what I've come up with. If someone knows otherwise, please chime in.

I don't know if it is your intention to improve on the luxeon that's in there or if your looking to preserve the stock head and just add something. I'm guessing that an E1e or E2e head could be modified to accept a luxeon using an esink/ecan setup for directdrive. That way you wouldn't loose the functionality of the internal circuit of the L1 and you would benefit from the beam pattern of the reflector. I've found the beam pattern from the E1e reflector with an LED to be cross between an NX05 and McFlood. I say this because the modded E1e reflector affords a good amount of sidespill, but still gives a decent amount of throw. The throw isn't anything like that of an NX05 or modded KL4, but there is throw, which you don't get with a McFlood.

yclo

Flashaholic*

Let me chime in here, though I am not sure about the double regulation business. I can say that it is very easy to mod a L1 head.

BC, if you don't like the L1 head stock I'm sure Chop can change the LS in it for you.

-YC

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Tony, thanks. You know alot more about all this than I do. I am interested in the idea of having two brightness levels.

I have Don's McLux 917ma Lux III and Charlie's Lux III Fraen LP SLGI and am knocked out with tighter beamed, white Lux IIIs.

I would like to have a 2x123 Surefire body with, perhaps, an L4 head (for the reflector) and a primo Lux III in it.

But, I'd also like to have two levels of output. Runtime is not that important to me. If I get an hour I'm happy as long as it stays bright for an hour. One of the levels would need to be no less bright than my 917. The other level can be way down there.

But, I don't know enough to understand half of what you said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

What would you suggest? Is this another one of my half-baked mod ideas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BC

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

For that matter, I'm sure that yclo could do it for you as well. I just have to say though. There is a lot to be said for a reflectored luxeon. If you want the beam of the reflector, go with a modded E1e or E2e head. If you don't mind the optic, just mod the existing L1 head.

yclo,
I like the quotes in your sig line. It seems that research is all I do these days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif