Possible to upgrade Novatac 120P led to 200 lomens+

whc

Enlightened
Hi CPF users, have not been active in these forums for some time, just got to spend too much time and money on flashlights at that point :). Well my collection of flashlights needs to be upgraded, still am on the Cree XRE and Seoul P4 leds in most my lights, have some XML lights on the way, and selling some of my older lights.

Any way long store short, have still got a mint Novatac 120P, back in the days when they where hot items, I modded quit a few with better LED bins, and got 20% more output. Now thinking of changing the LED in my 120P, but what leds same size and beam patterns is out there, just with more lumens for the buck?

Looking for an easy upgrade, just LED swap, but yes what to go for?

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally like the XM-L in a NT but if you like it more throwy then a nice XP-E2 is a good match also. Use 8mm diameter emitter boards.

maroast

Newly Enlightened
I first put an XML2 in mine with great results which is a very easy mod. The T6 bin at 5000k is a really nice color... But the light currently has a nichia 219 just for fun. The output of the nichia is less than the XML2, but it has a very nice tint.

I built a nichia 219 triple P60 drop-in from scratch and I really like the light it pours out. I think my next mod will be a nichia or an XPG2 triple with an optic...but that mod is more of an endeavor.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I first put an XML2 in mine with great results which is a very easy mod. The T6 bin at 5000k is a really nice color... But the light currently has a nichia 219 just for fun. The output of the nichia is less than the XML2, but it has a very nice tint.

I built a nichia 219 triple P60 drop-in from scratch and I really like the light it pours out. I think my next mod will be a nichia or an XPG2 triple with an optic...but that mod is more of an endeavor.

I thought you would have finished the triple mod, you ordered the parts in March didn't you? It's not that hard really, I'm getting ready to do a second one this weekend.

whc

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. So 8mm bard, with a 0.5 mm chopper spacer below should do the trick of getting a XM-L led in the 120P.

Just wondering, how will the beam pattern change, really like the floody beam it got now, would really not be happy to get a thrower out of this (got other lights for that).

Any beamshots of the results of such a mod out there?

maroast

Newly Enlightened
I thought you would have finished the triple mod, you ordered the parts in March didn't you? It's not that hard really, I'm getting ready to do a second one this weekend.

Good memory! I decided to use the parts to build a P60 drop-in instead. After 20 trips to 50 different hardware stores all of the parts I found were better for a p60 build. Nice copper slug that slid right in and a somewhat thick 20mm brass (not the best conductor) disk to mount the triple on. I'm glad I went with the p60 build first since there was a bit of a learning curve (this was my first real build).

The novatac is scheduled for the chopping block though...after I finish modding the HD2010 I just ordered last night (de-domed xml2 on copper @ ~5amps).

maroast

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. So 8mm bard, with a 0.5 mm chopper spacer below should do the trick of getting a XM-L led in the 120P.

Just wondering, how will the beam pattern change, really like the floody beam it got now, would really not be happy to get a thrower out of this (got other lights for that).

Any beamshots of the results of such a mod out there?

I don't have any beamshots, but the XML is a floody LED...even more so when combined with the small reflector of the novatac. You'll be pleased, it wont be a thrower at all. As for the LED get the XM-L2 over an XML (it's the newer more efficient version with greater output). Tint is all up to you.

Latest posts