Fenix LD01 XP-E R4 vs XP-G R4

DrHanz

Newly Enlightened
Just bought a LD01 as a spare for my old one thinking it was the same flashlight. Turnd out that the new one has a diffrrent Led. It is an XP-E while my old one has a XP-G. What is tje difference. Why woild a newer LD01 have a led with an E in stead of a G?

Firts I thought they sold me an older version, but the serialnumber is higher though...

Anyone have ingo on this?

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XP-G R4 is slightly greenish and not too throwy.
How is the tint and beam intensity of your XP-E R4?

DrHanz

Newly Enlightened
The xp-e is a bit yellower, warmer one might say. My 'old' LD01 is not so much greener as more purpleish...

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
yellow sounds good. purplish too.
thanks for the info! :)

DrHanz

Newly Enlightened
but I am still wondering: is the xp-e r4 the latest version of the LD01 or the xp-g ?

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP-E has a higher surface brightness than XP-G at the same current, allowing for an increase in throw. For keychain lights it is often a better choice to go for a slightly less efficient LED output wise to increase the apparent power/reach of the beam.

Fenix had an earlier XP-E version before the XP-G, which at the time was less efficient. But, as XP-E have since improved further in efficiency, they must have recently judged that switching back to higher binned XP-E was worth the small output trade-off. I'm surprised they haven't introduced an XP-E2/G2 though to be honest.

DrHanz

Newly Enlightened
Yes thank you for this info.

So the xp-e is not per se a step down from the xp-g.

I am curious if Fenix will come with an upgraded small aaa flashlight soon. Preferrable something with a LMH and strobe, where the Low is about as low as the moonshine mode that the updated Olight aaa light, the i3s has. Would be nice!

DrHanz

Newly Enlightened
IMG_20130816_130545_zpsedea2a73.jpg

tam17

Enlightened
My old LD01 was XP-E (R3 I think) and newer one is XP-G R4. Improvement is noticeable tint-wise (no more irritating purple tint) and there's no PWM, but they've downgraded both the lm output in High mode and throw, bah...

Cheers

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The latest batches come with an XP-E, the XP-G R4 was used in older batches.

The LD01 must have come out with the following LEDs in this order:
XR-E Q5
XR-E R2
XP-G R4
XP-G R5 (limited editiion)
XP-E R4

I don't think the LD01 was ever released with XR-E R3 but could be wrong.

tam17

Enlightened
Package of my 2010 LD01 said "XP-E R2" (I even did a small review), but some months later I ran serial number inquiry form which revealed it was in fact XP-E R3. I'm not the only one (link). Nothing spectacular, but still R3 existed in the emitter lineup.

Cheers

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XP-E R4 would have to be one of the XP-E HEW (high efficiency white). I don't think the R4 exists in either the XP-E or XP-E2 but could be wrong, haven't seen the data sheets for a while. The efficiency of this one is as good as the XP-G I believe.

Have a look at the circuit board around the LED. If it's green, it's a XP-E, if it's silver then it's XP-E2. If it's and XP-E HEW, then you should see two strips with a + indicating the anode but no silver pads at the ends. I haven't actually seen a XP-E HEW yet